• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been feeling the desire to pick up a dedicated hard snow ski for next season. After talking with @Tony S at the NE Gathering about the benefits of a slalom ski I’m looking to pick up something around 70mm underfoot to complete the quiver (MX88, FX94, BMX105). I used to have a pair of Fischer Progressor 9+ that I loved on hard snow and nothing else. Unfortunately I sold them many years ago.

I’ve been thinking of trying Stockli instead of defaulting to my standard Kastle obsession. I’m interested in the Laser CS, Laser CX and Laser SL. I’m open to other suggestions for a slalom ski if people have one. I've demo'd Blizzard, Atomic and Volkl carvers in the past but it was so long ago that my thoughts on those aren't relevant anymore.

I know it’s late in the season to be trying to demo a hard snow ski but I usually buy my skis at the end of the season or summer so being able to demo now may allow me to save some cash. I think Northern Ski Works demos Stockli and will call them but does anyone know of others?

dave g

Booting up
Skier
Norse House in Stratton should have demo's. Tom , the owner, is a wealth of knowledge regarding Stockli and a great guy. I've bought three Stockli's from him this year alone. Call ahead and see what they can do for you. Dave

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Absent any information about your skiing style, age, days skied, what your looking for in the ski, where its going to be skied, try looking at the MX72 (keeping it in the family) and the Stockli laser SC. @dawgcatching has done some lengthy and very descriptive analysis of the Kastle MX72 and the Stockli Laser SC and a simple search here at Pugski will yield an abundance of information.

I have the MX72, former east coast skier living in MN, and it's a fine product, although given my style I gravitate to either the MX83 or a Volkl Racetiger SL more often that the 72. Given your current "quiver" you'll know what to expect from the MX72. The laser SC is an excellent ski with perhaps slightly more energy in the tail. The Laser SL will have more energy and will simply demand more input and precision.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I am on my third season on Stockli SC's that I bought from dawg. Great ski. Not a Slalom ski, a little longer turning radius, but great at short turns, medium turns and fantastic edge hold.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absent any information about your skiing style, age, days skied, what your looking for in the ski, where its going to be skied, try looking at the MX72 (keeping it in the family) and the Stockli laser SC. @dawgcatching has done some lengthy and very descriptive analysis of the Kastle MX72 and the Stockli Laser SC and a simple search here at Pugski will yield an abundance of information.

I have the MX72, former east coast skier living in MN, and it's a fine product, although given my style I gravitate to either the MX83 or a Volkl Racetiger SL more often that the 72. Given your current "quiver" you'll know what to expect from the MX72. The laser SC is an excellent ski with perhaps slightly more energy in the tail. The Laser SL will have more energy and will simply demand more input and precision.

I'm sure I'll look at the Kastle offerings because I can't help myself. You're right that I'll know what to expect with an MX72 but I'm thinking that I'd like to try the RX12 SL

If you liked the Fischer Progressor, you should have a look at the Fischer RC4 Worldcup SC.
https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/rc4-worldcup-sc-131?c=161

I'll look at that Fischer. Thanks for pointing it out.

I am on my third season on Stockli SC's that I bought from dawg. Great ski. Not a Slalom ski, a little longer turning radius, but great at short turns, medium turns and fantastic edge hold.

The SC's are on the short list but I am interested in trying something closer to a true slalom ski

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a pair of MX 74 in 172 that you can try if intreasted , IMO a little smoother than a true slalom ski, My old knee's couldn't take the Fisher WC slaloms and I sold them

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of MX 74 in 172 that you can try if intreasted , IMO a little smoother than a true slalom ski, My old knee's couldn't take the Fisher WC slaloms and I sold them

Thanks for the offer but 172 is a bit too long for me.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You're not going to go wrong with any of the skis already being discussed, but you should add the Atomic S9 which gets lots of love here.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Peak Performance is probably the most racing oriented shop on the Killington access road. Give them a call.

FWIW the Progressor 9+ was more of a GS ski than an SL ski. I had the 8+ which was more of an SL ski. The Fischer skis closest to the Progressors are the Curvs. One of the narrower Curvs or maybe a Head Supershape iSpeed might be an option to an all-out SL race ski.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peak Performance is probably the most racing oriented shop on the Killington access road. Give them a call.

FWIW the Progressor 9+ was more of a GS ski than an SL ski. I had the 8+ which was more of an SL ski. The Fischer skis closest to the Progressors are the Curvs. One of the narrower Curvs or maybe a Head Supershape iSpeed might be an option to an all-out SL race ski.

Thanks. I'll check out Peak Performance. Good to know about the current Fischer options compared to the 9+.

Stephen Witkop

switty
Skier
Keep in mind also this time of year can be a good time to demo hard snow skis since most mornings you'll get plenty of rock hard groomers to test on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Northern Ski Works in Kton has Stockli. Not sure about their demos.

https://www.skisharp.com/ In Sugarbush has Stockli. He's been there for decades hiding in plain sight.

Sounds like the guy at the Norse House is one of the best to talk to on Stockli.

The big advantage to Stockli is they have close to normal width edges. Most fis sl skis have narrow edges to be faster. Means they don't last that long with sharpening. My huge annoyance with fis sl skis. The problem with Stockli is it doesn't come with a plate, so you have to add that.

Stockli may be one brand that the sl is preferred over the fis. Just don't know how different it is. Highly unlikely it's the ski on the worldcup despite what Lindsey the rep says here.

Probably I'd say Laser sx - no. Based on talking to Andrew at Sugarbush Satrurday who's 220# and was on the ski that day.

Atomic S9- bleh. No to that. Unless you can find the S9 version without the rod in the shovel which is different.
Heavy, ponderous, actually little fun. Some people love it. I've spent I think 4 days on the 170 or 72, whatever it is,
in Switzerland. If the thing got run over by a truck I'd say good riddance.

I much preferred the Atomic sl 165 consumer with the carbon plate that 's older.

Edit: here's the S9 fis. Yes to this. They only seem to have the 157 though.
https://www.peakskishop.com/Atomic-Redster-S9-FIS-SL-Skis-2019-FIS_p_6206.html

They have this in 165. Can't go wrong.
https://www.peakskishop.com/Atomic-Redster-S9-FIS-SL-Skis-2019-FIS_p_6206.html

I'd probably skip the Rx12, it's pretty rare. Not sure I've ever heard anyone who actually skis sl skis all the time rave about it.

Demoing an actual slalom ski in the US? Good luck. Even a consumer version. Such things are common in places in Europe, I don't think I've ever seen one here. Go to Mt Hood this summer. That would be an fis version.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
I ski slalom skis and I rave about it (the Kastle RX12)! Volkl Racetiger SL and Rossi Hero Short Turn skis are also excellent recreational slalom-style skis for firm snow. Numerous reviews of them here and online. Stockli SL also fills the bill requested. Good luck!

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I have both the SC and SL Stockli Lasers. The SL is not FIS, it comes with an integrated Salomon binding. I love both skis. The SL's are of course more specialized, so I use the SC's as my everyday ski as they are more versatile and are a bit easier to ski, but the SL's by no means are hard to ski. Also beautiful skis.

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 9.30.43 AM.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I ski slalom skis and I rave about it (the Kastle RX12)! Volkl Racetiger SL and Rossi Hero Short Turn skis are also excellent recreational slalom-style skis for firm snow. Numerous reviews of them here and online. Stockli SL also fills the bill requested. Good luck!
Nice!
Never seen one out here in a store except for maybe the first year Kastle was sold 10 yrs ago or whenever.

Slalom skis are also for spring corn! If there's a solid surface underneath they're too much fun. If not, still a blast but be prepared for the outside ski to bog with a pile.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both the SC and SL Stockli Lasers. The SL is not FIS, it comes with an integrated Salomon binding. I love both skis. The SL's are of course more specialized, so I use the SC's as my everyday ski as they are more versatile and are a bit easier to ski, but the SL's by no means are hard to ski. Also beautiful skis.

View attachment 70333

Northern Ski Works has the SC in 163cm for demo. I doubt I'll find the SL available. Do you feel the SC is close enough to the SL that if you demo the SC you kinda know what you can expect from the SL?

Still have to contact Peak to see what they have.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
They're very different skis, but the 163 SC should be a great short turn ski. I have the ski in 170 and it does short turns well, but is a little more of a schmedium turn radius natural sidecut.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're very different skis, but the 163 SC should be a great short turn ski. I have the ski in 170 and it does short turns well, but is a little more of a schmedium turn radius natural sidecut.

Thanks, Steve. I'm going to try the SC. I don't want a race ski; just something that's considered close to a slalom is good enough. If I'm not in love with that I'll try the other skis that people have mentioned.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks, Steve. I'm going to try the SC. I don't want a race ski; just something that's considered close to a slalom is good enough. If I'm not in love with that I'll try the other skis that people have mentioned.

If you're looking at the SC you should also consider the CX (possibly prior years if you can find it at discount). I recently posted about the CX in the Stockli thread. CX has a bit more sidecut, but also a bit narrower.

Sponsor

Staff online