• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What skis have you had that were so good that you either stock piled or after you wore them out and just replaced them with the same ski again.

Early on:

Salomon 9000 3S, when slalom skis were still over 200cm...err PR8 in Salomon-ese
Dynastar Course SL, light, lively but had to be replaced a lot because their core just broke down

Modern:
Kastle MX88, I could still ski a first year model and be happy
Kastle RX12, I think I have had the same pair three times in-between @Ron and @DeAnn Sloan and another friend had them and now @Gaby @Luvbug have them
Blizzard Bonafide, I have had every incarnation but still have the first year models with 85mm graphics, that pair are just magic

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had two, maybe three, pairs of the K2 Four, all bought used at swaps. Before that, I followed the progression of almost the same ski, K2 710 to 712 to KVC.

And I was thinking of replacing my Coomba with a nearly-the-same Coomback, before that sneaky Phil showed me the Atomic Automatic.

DeAnn Sloan

ACLs are overrated.
Skier
What skis have you had that were so good that you either stock piled or after you wore them out and just replaced them with the same ski again.

Early on:

Salomon 9000 3S, when slalom skis were still over 200cm...err PR8 in Salomon-ese
Dynastar Course SL, light, lively but had to be replaced a lot because their core just broke down

Modern:
Kastle MX88, I could still ski a first year model and be happy
Kastle RX12, I think I have had the same pair three times in-between @Ron and @DeAnn Sloan and another friend had them and now @Gaby @Luvbug have them
Blizzard Bonafide, I have had every incarnation but still have the first year models with 85mm graphics, that pair are just magic

Actually, I think I am currently in possession of said RX12s. @Gaby and @Luvbug had them before I did.

@SBrown has had a few Crushes....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually, I think I am currently in possession of said RX12s. @Gaby and @Luvbug had them before I did.

@SBrown has had a few Crushes....
See, I have had them so often, I forgot who currently has them. I have referred to them as my homing skis.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
2 prs of Atomic SX 10's ...still use em on eastern boilerplate . Love em they hold it like riding a rail !!
Just picked up Atomic Blackeye TI 's.at the end of last season , Then i found out i had to have hip replacement surgery last month so i have yet to use them

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blizzard Samba
Kastle FX84
Head Super Joy
Nordica Santa Ana

I'm sure there are more I'll remember soon.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I forgot the Blizzard Magnum 8.7. I remember loaning them to friends & customers and receiving phone calls saying that i was not getting them back and that they were just buying them from me, I had no choice. This happened three time. :cool:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a second pair of Kabookies last summer. Killer sale price. I came close to doing it with Mantras some time back.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
MX88, MX108 and Nordica Patron. One pair of each live at WB and SLC.

Got to the point where if I like something I just buy two pairs and leave them at my usual haunts.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Never the same, only similar.. 710 FO to 812.. smoother and firmer ski than the FO was. Then tried some early 00s Fours and liked them.. Then the Salamon Lab GS still undecided if I like them better than the Four. I have a pair of shorter GSRs as well, those are my spring and fall rock ski, kind of dead now though. Might be time to retire them and get more laps on the Labs.

I also got a smokin deal on some Elan M999. When the little brother M777 (87mm version) came up cheap in the same 192 cm size I got those. 99s for fresh snow and 77s for leftovers and all purpose short of hardpack.

The rest of the quiver is all over the place..

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sort of a short cut, but I had a pair of E-98's that were replaced in season 2 on warranty so season 3 was on a fresh pair. I was very pleased. Could easily order and ski an E100.

Just received a fresh pair of Titans. They do what they do very well for me.

Boots! Will be on my third pair of Raptor 130/140's this season. Tough to imagine a replacement even after putting a foot in most of the boots on the market.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I had two pairs of Fischer RX8's in 165 and a third pair in 175. Sold them all used eventually. Great ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sort of a short cut, but I had a pair of E-98's that were replaced in season 2 on warranty so season 3 was on a fresh pair. I was very pleased. Could easily order and ski an E100.

Just received a fresh pair of Titans. They do what they do very well for me.

Boots! Will be on my third pair of Raptor 130/140's this season. Tough to imagine a replacement even after putting a foot in most of the boots on the market.
I had the same pair of Flexons for 25 years, I changed the liners 5 times and the shells 6, but they were the same boots. ;)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have two pairs of recent Head i.Speeds, two pairs of Bodacious {both generations}, am on my 2nd and third pair of Bonafides…among my current skis. No other duplicates. But I, too, have some Titans and I can see replacing them with the exact same thing….177cm.

Among not quite as recent skis, I've had three pairs of 184cm Stockli Stormrider XL's. Loved that ski. First real non race skis {other than powder skis}. "Wide" race construction skis, and amazing durability.

In my race days, back when I rode my dinosaur to ski, I had a lot of duplicates. More Rossi Strato's than you can imagine, then Dynamics. Once those days ended, I recall buying {pro form as a coach} at least three pairs of K2 VO SL's. I also went through a large number of Volkls, almost all GS skis that were very similar year to year….graphics, etc. changing. P9's, P10's, etc. GS skis started to get some shape, and I had two pairs of 188cm K2 fours {having seen Bode work his magic on them}, and we then had a J2 aged son….and a source of skis for dad.

During the years when I got hand me downs from our son's race quiver, I also had a lot of duplicates. Mostly 188cm Fischers. By the time he was picked up by Head, they were too much for me! 191-195's with all sorts of different radius, and shapes….and all too beefy to do much but race GS! Which was in my rearview mirror.

Now there are SO many great skis….

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Not a well known ski, but, I am on my 2nd pair of Hart Pulse skis, 78 waist carving machines. First pair bought from Philpug who had worked for Hart briefly. were 178's were more ski than I needed, and, sold them to Helluva Skier, who wore them out. FTM had a pair of 170's and destroyed one ski. I think it was Bob Barnes, who was skiing the Pulse also, found him a matching ski. Somehow, Philpug linked FTM's desire to get a brand new pair of ski, and, my wish to get the Pulse in a 170, so a deal got done. The Pulse was made by Blossom in Italy, all who skied them gave them great reviews. It's funny riding chair lifts and have conversations about the good old days of Hart skis.
If I come across another pair, they are mine. Also, somewhat funny to me, is I am 190 lbs and love the 170 length. Almost all who post of correct lengths for a 78 waist for a bigger guy will go with at least 178. So, you can downsize. This will be my 4th season, they are still going strong.

Sponsor