• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other threads about how we choose our skis, along with some brand recognition chatter has me wondering if the old adage "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday" still holds true in some walks of life.

Examples
Do we take a second look at Head skis because Lindsey Vonn or Ted Ligety, or Bode Miller won on them?
Do we consider Atomic because Daron Rahlves or Mikaela Shiffrin won on them?
Do we reconsider a brand we dismissed because we just saw someone stomp some big feature in a cool ski movie?
Do we go out and buy a Salomon because Cody Townsend did this?

I definitely think these athletes create brand awareness, but do they influence you (us)?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Holy cow!
The youtube clip that played automatically after Cody's...

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The knife edge alone to the line Falquet skis is absolutely nuts !
Love the way he looks up to the camera just before dropping in.

Edit - neither clip has affected my ski purchases

Check out the full powder segment from last years Matchstick movie Drop everything on YouTube. those powderboards and conditions would not only influence my ski purchase but my travel plans.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski Renouns because of @Philpug

I do too. :P

While I am not totally swayed by advertising ( only a little) I do make decisions based on sponsorships. As a big sponsor of attitude adjustment at regattas, Mount Gay is the rum I buy. The people that put up prizes and such, I will buy their stuff if there is a choice

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Jean Luc Brassard Dynastar Vertical Assaults
John Clendenin Hart Freestyle (1st gen)
Corkey Fowler K2 255
Wayne Wong K2 Bermuda Shorts/K2 Winter Heats
Edgar Grospiron Salomon Super Force 9 - 3S
Jean Luc brassard Dynastar Vertial Assaults.jpg
johnnyc-250.jpg
Corky Fowler K2 255.jpg
Wayne Wong K2 Bermuda Shorts K2 Winter Heat.jpg
Edgar.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had some borrowed C4s from my coaches brother in '75. I broke some but I won on some, too.

Innsbruck '76

The sound track is new wave, but this is one of the best video quality internet copies I've seen of the run.

He was my hero and idol.

Glory days. They'll pass you by.... ;-)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I kinda wanted to buy a pair of Salomon Lumen 99’s because of Wendy Fischer.

I settled for Renoun Z 90’s, which are on their way to me now. Apparently they are in Butte, MT as we speak. I bought them because I demoed them. But it was still due to @Philpug.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
i'd hate admitting being sucked in by marketing but it seems I've wound up owning at lot of the skis above, so what does that say .

liked the c4's k2 255, winter heats ,even those cheezeburger deluxes were decent ,the vertical assault was really so so, my super force 3s solly bindings were red.

marketing did influence me on the st comps, vr17s mark ivs and numerous Atomics over the years if it matters.

now influence comes from the people i ski with, and none of us currently have any.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The knife edge alone to the line Falquet skis is absolutely nuts !
Love the way he looks up to the camera just before dropping in.
I know!!!
That video clip had nothing to do with the thread, but it auto played after the Cody Townsend video and I had to post it because... :eek:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As a kid, yes. And when I first got into telemarking, I saw Mark Peterson ripping it up on some black plastic boots in an MSP film... T1's. Had to have a pair. At that time there weren't really many other choices other than leather. That boot was a complete game changer for the whole sport though, so kind of a different creature. Of late though, no. Not at all.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought a pair of Head Supershape iTitans because Ted Ligety skies on Head skis. I have not regretted that ski purchase at all.

My main influence in brand selection comes from supporting those brands that also support the National Ski Patrol, something that I have been a part of for 15 years now.

gardenmary

Late-in-life ski bum
Skier
Yes, I tried Head skis because Lindsey wins on them. And my boots are always Heads. I have a pair of Super Joys but haven't skied them enough to speak with any authority on them.

I've tried many others at demo days and have only had bad reactions to a few skis (Nordica Hell's Belles could not get returned fast enough). The Goodes I skied a few years ago at Demo Day are still the very best but also the most expensive ($1200 flat).

I currently covet Volkl Deacons mainly because IRL I am a deacon, but I also adore Volkl skis. I'm not a skinny mini and so I do well on gutsier skis. Seeing that the Deacon responds well to that and to strong control is making me get back in the gym as well as save my pennies.

Sponsor

Staff online