• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis Size - Did I make the right choice?

Did I choose the right size for my height, weight, skill level?

• Total voters

Carlos R.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to order my first set of skis but now I'm doubting if I made the right selection of skis.

The skis that I got are 2017-18 Elan Amphibio 84 Ti 176 cm Skis with Axium 120 Bindings

My first concern is the skis length and the second one is the skill level for these skis.

I'm 5'9, male, weight 205 lbs, 39 years old, I can ski some blues, I would say I'm a starting intermediate (maybe not), I ski primary in groomed trails haven't been off the course yet. I taught myself, haven't taken classes yet, but thinking of doing it. I have skied about 10 times if I can count them and I have really enjoyed it. I think I am hooked on this sport. The rental shops always put me on 168 and even 160's. I did get a chance to try these skis at 170 but I recall having a difficulty making turns and stopping. I read lots of reviews and it appears many people liked the Amphibio and say they really help turn initiation so they kind of convinced me to give them a try. Now that I got them, they look huge and heavy. I got them at 177 because they were out of the 170s and I thought at 350 they were a good deal? I would also add that my skis cross many times and have difficulty skiing with both skis parallel. I would like to get your opinion on if I made the right choice or a bad choice in selecting skis that are too long or too advanced for my skill level.

What skis would you have suggested for me?

Thank you,

Carlos R.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Welcome home, Carlos! Congrats on your new toy, no point in beating yourself up. You can probably find ways to handle a ski that does seem a little too much in length and stiffness IMHO, But it's ok, still a new toy. People used to ski beautifully on straight skis and crappy boots.

What is your boot situation at the moment?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll probably progress into these nicely, especially if you take a couple of lessons. I agree with @Mendieta regarding boots.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Probably. It sounds like the combination of the extra length & stiffer/more advanced flex are keeping it a tad out of reach. But the good news is they'll probably be a good ski for you once you progress.

Spend a few days on them, and agree with @coskigirl about an intermediate lesson - an instructor will be super helpful in terms of whether you're just adjusting to a more demanding ski vs. doing all the right things but just not able to flex them.

If they're not working out, don't fight it. Spots like Powder7 offload all their demo skis and will have a ton of well-priced setups that are a little shorter/softer. Spend a season on those and then offload them to another buddy who's getting into skiing and you'll probably recoup most of the cost.

TS
C

Carlos R.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Welcome home, Carlos! Congrats on your new toy, no point in beating yourself up. You can probably find ways to handle a ski that does seem a little too much in length and stiffness IMHO, But it's ok, still a new toy. People used to ski beautifully on straight skis and crappy boots.

What is your boot situation at the moment?

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel a little better. I had previously tried the Salomon Quest 80 and I really liked it. They have been so far the only ski boots I really felt comfortable. I came across on ebay some Salomon Quest Access Custom Heat Ski Boots size 27.5 and I figured these were similar. They do feel a little heavier than the Quest 80 and the resistance is 90.

I haven't tried them yet, looking forward to testing them in about two weeks in Tahoe. The poles are being shipped in the next few days.

Thank you Mendieta & Coskigirl,

Carlos R.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to a bootfitter. People are pretty good at picking out their own skis, not so much with boots. Even the expert skiers here get help picking theirs out and having them fitted. Take the Salomons with you if you already bought them. The fitter will be able to explain why they are or are not a good fit for you, and you'll be able to compare the boots they pick for you against them.

Share your budget up front with the fitter, but I'd suggest to be willing to put some money into your boots. As a progressing skier, you'll probably go through a few pairs of skis as you progress or need wider ones for skiing off piste. But a good fitter will set you up with a boot that's soft enough for you right now but stiff enough to serve you as you get faster & stronger. I had extreme sticker shock when I bought my first boots and the only reason I purchased them was because they had already heat molded them for me. But it really worked out - I've progressed through 3 skis in 4 years, but the boots are still perfect and were the best bang for the buck in the long run.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Good ski and probably correct length.

I would purchase some lessons.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to order my first set of skis but now I'm doubting if I made the right selection of skis.

The skis that I got are 2017-18 Elan Amphibio 84 Ti 176 cm Skis with Axium 120 Bindings

My first concern is the skis length and the second one is the skill level for these skis.

I'm 5'9, male, weight 205 lbs, 39 years old, I can ski some blues, I would say I'm a starting intermediate (maybe not), I ski primary in groomed trails haven't been off the course yet. I taught myself, haven't taken classes yet, but thinking of doing it. I have skied about 10 times if I can count them and I have really enjoyed it. I think I am hooked on this sport. The rental shops always put me on 168 and even 160's. I did get a chance to try these skis at 170 but I recall having a difficulty making turns and stopping. I read lots of reviews and it appears many people liked the Amphibio and say they really help turn initiation so they kind of convinced me to give them a try. Now that I got them, they look huge and heavy. I got them at 177 because they were out of the 170s and I thought at 350 they were a good deal? I would also add that my skis cross many times and have difficulty skiing with both skis parallel. I would like to get your opinion on if I made the right choice or a bad choice in selecting skis that are too long or too advanced for my skill level.

What skis would you have suggested for me?

Thank you,

Carlos R.

I wouldnt worry. Give them a new ski tune when you get them and ski the heck out of them!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Salomon Quest Access Custom Heat Ski Boots size 27.5 and I figured these were similar. They do feel a little heavier than the Quest 80 and the resistance is 90.

Because of your description above of crossing the skis frequently, it is likely that your skis are too big (also, it is very common for skiers to need some adjustments such as alignment and canting), which only a bootfitter can do. What's your shoe-size? For reference, I wear 11 shoes, sometimes 11.5. My ski-boots are 27.5 - of course it all depends, a good bootfitter will first shell fit you, try different boots, etc. Boots are WAY more important than skis. They help your ankles control your skis, if they are loose you are toast. Especially with a decently advanced ski.

Most people start with boots that are too big and loose. I know I did. That could explain why you are struggling to control the skis.

Regardless, you might want to go back to easy runs, very easy, and lap them gaining more and more confidence, Once they feel like too easy, you move to a slightly harder run.

Hope this helps!

Sponsor

Staff online