• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking to go to Killington for a few midweek days in January. I’m in NYC and carless so Amtrak from NYC to Rutland then bus/car service seems to make financial and practical sense.

Just 3 ski days so I’ll pack light and bring my single ski bag but I wonder where it would go on the train. Has anybody done it?

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve done it for a short trip to Newark Airport. (Yes, Amtrak stops there. Not a bad way to get there as long as there’s a backup plan)
Doable. As I remember between cars there’s space. It was a double roller bag and heavy. With a single you could prob just throw it up on the rack also.

JohnJ

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It works great. I take Amtrak from Omaha to Winter Park a lot with a double and single ski bag and never have trouble finding a spot. Usually the conductor will tell you where they want you to put the bag when boarding. It is almost always up on the rack in the lower level. Sometimes behind the seats at the back of the lower level. Once in a while there is a cargo space in the lower level instead of seating , and finally there is a cargo spot that you load from the outside that runs through the train for long narrow items. I've never had anyone mess with any of my baggage and don't worry about it any more.

James

Out There
Instructor
I doubt the Ethan Allen train to Rutland has double level cars, but maybe.
I guess Rutland-Killington is the closest ski area to train. Well excepting Metro North to Thunder Ridge.

Years ago they did surveys on mountain about taking the train to Okemo from Nyc and along that line. The freight line tracks actually go right throw the ski area, with freight trains usually twice a day.
Kids used wait to through snowballs at the train. Amazingly, the train company complained. The ski school director had a good idea who the instigator was. He wasn’t wrong.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt the Ethan Allen train to Rutland has double level cars, but maybe.
I guess Rutland-Killington is the closest ski area to train. Well excepting Metro North to Thunder Ridge.

Years ago they did surveys on mountain about taking the train to Okemo from Nyc and along that line. The freight line tracks actually go right throw the ski area, with freight trains usually twice a day.
Kids used wait to through snowballs at the train. Amazingly, the train company complained. The ski school director had a good idea who the instigator was. He wasn’t wrong.
I wish there was more passenger train service to the slopes in the northeast. It's a huge wasted opportunity, especially since the infrastructure is there in many cases. Like, there used to be a rail connection to Gore at some point but it doesn't appear to be active anymore.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Amtrak has lots of this info on line or you can try calling (its a long wait often), suspect the Ethan Allen Express? Amtrak has some specials going on now.

Like @JohnJ , I do the same train only out of Iowa. Amtrak lists for their trains, and I've used all johnj listed:

1. baggage car section of a train. Some double deckers enter in the center, one end with coach seating, other side with luggage car.

2. Lower coach reserved seating, often the last seats have space behind the seat and bulkhead where one can store

3. Conductor will have you place on luggage rack on lower coach seating if your in non reserved

4. the outside door/hatch for long items ..

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for posting this @Teppaz I posted a similar query on another forum the other day. I'm looking to take mine on the NE Regional train PHL-BOS next month for an Indy pass road trip around the NE. I've taken them on the Cascades trains in the PNW before, but the NE trains have a radically different layout and was wondering where exactly I could put them. Overhead doesn't seem wise as other folks will have their bags on there, perhaps in the open floor area past the wheelchair seats?

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone one another forum said there was storage space by the doors. I'm going to do it midweek so at least I won't have the weekend traffic and there may be more space onboard.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I took Amtrack from Stamford, CT to near Burlington a few years ago. Brought my skis no problem. It was a slowww ride though. I think a bus would have been both faster and cheaper.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I personally prefer train to bus. We'll see how it goes!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I personally prefer train to bus. We'll see how it goes!

did the bus in my youth several times around midwest .. being young there were lots of creepy people. Now that I'm older ... well, I guess I'm the creepy one!

Should be able to check the times ... be interesting to know the times. Personally if not any significant delta in cost, for me the train typically offers nicer seating and bar car ... ogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
Back in the late 90’s, I called Greyhound to find out about a bus from NYC to Rutland or vice versa. She came back with a 19 hour trip, and no idea how ridiculous that was.

James

Out There
Instructor
I wish there was more passenger train service to the slopes in the northeast. It's a huge wasted opportunity, especially since the infrastructure is there in many cases. Like, there used to be a rail connection to Gore at some point but it doesn't appear to be active anymore.
There’s a special take a friend free on Amtrak. Book by Sunday. Travel Feb1 through June.
Heh- maybe go to Denver?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daughter used to go to school at UVM in Burlington, many times took the train to/from NYC. Of course she wan't carrying ski equipment LOL. But it is a full day's trip. I guess these days with UBER there's a lot more easy options to get to the slopes, but 10 years ago this wasn't the case.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for posting this @Teppaz I posted a similar query on another forum the other day. I'm looking to take mine on the NE Regional train PHL-BOS next month for an Indy pass road trip around the NE. I've taken them on the Cascades trains in the PNW before, but the NE trains have a radically different layout and was wondering where exactly I could put them. Overhead doesn't seem wise as other folks will have their bags on there, perhaps in the open floor area past the wheelchair seats?

I've taken the NE Regional a billion times. Some thoughts:
  • North of NYC, Amtrak doesn't have rights to the most direct route, so it's a lengthy ride.
  • Only luggage area I can think of is at the ends of car, where there is an empty space where bigger luggage can sit on the floor. It's not a secure location, so if you are unable to get a seat where you can see your luggage, or if the seats are facing the opposite direction, it can be a nerve-racking.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I took Amtrack from Stamford, CT to near Burlington a few years ago. Brought my skis no problem. It was a slowww ride though. I think a bus would have been both faster and cheaper.

I’m a huge fan of people taking the train, just as long as I don’t have to one of them! lol

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find the train to be the best way to travel in the NEC (well, anywhere really). I can have a glass of wine and read a book, both activities somewhat frowned upon if one is driving. Time is competitive with driving and usually faster than flying. It actually worked out fine with the skis. The overhead rack space above the wheelchair area was perfect. I asked the conductor when I boarded in Philly and he said if a wheelchair user needed the rack space, I might have to move them, but that wasn't the case.

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
I take the train from DC to Rutland about once a year, to catch up w fam who's already there ahead of me- Ethan Allen express from NYP to RUT, nominally about 5.5 hours?
There is luggage space near the ends of each car, although yes it can be a little stressful if you are sitting out of sight of your gear. But there are only a few stops.
Weeknight trains pull in to RUT around 8pm, yes shuttle services still run at that time to get to K. Can also walk 2 blocks to the bus depot and grab a bus to K. Fridays it pulls in after 11:30, which sucks unless someone calls ahead to have a pickup.

From NYC its about the same time as a drive. And soo much more civilized.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I take the train from DC to Rutland about once a year, to catch up w fam who's already there ahead of me- Ethan Allen express from NYP to RUT, nominally about 5.5 hours?
There is luggage space near the ends of each car, although yes it can be a little stressful if you are sitting out of sight of your gear. But there are only a few stops.
Weeknight trains pull in to RUT around 8pm, yes shuttle services still run at that time to get to K. Can also walk 2 blocks to the bus depot and grab a bus to K. Fridays it pulls in after 11:30, which sucks unless someone calls ahead to have a pickup.

From NYC its about the same time as a drive. And soo much more civilized.
And for a single traveler, a lot cheaper than renting a car! Being to read and get some work done is another asset.
Thanks everybody for the tips.

Sponsor

Staff online