• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis length recommendation for next season

KQua

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi there,

Through 2 years, I have been on green/blue (easier ones) 28 days. Either in Steamboat or Winter Park.
Since day one, at suggestion of my ex GF, purchased Elan Explorer Ti. Size 168.
This season, everyone, including my expert brother, is telling me the ski is too long for me (I am 65" tall).
Since I have never been on other skis, I feel fine.
This coming season, I will spend minimum 30 days on the slope.
Should I purchase new shorter skis?
Thank you for your expertise.

James

Out There
Instructor
So a 168cm is 66 inches. That's an inch over your head.
It's not that 168 is so long, it's in the ball park, but you could benefit from something shorter. Say chin high. It can help with learning turns and be a lot of fun.
There's more to a ski than length though. Different skis in the same length can be very different.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m 6’1" and I spent a season on 120cm skis. Had a ball and learned to ski centered. I’ve had regular skis from 150s to 185s. I agree with what @Kneale Brownson said, whatever feels good to you. There is a great saying, "You date skis, you marry boots." So you may want to try your own version of the ‘Dating Game.’ Go to a local off mountain rental shop and rent a different pair of skis each day. That way you can get a feel for different skis and what they feel like. Also, go to some demo days at various mountains and try different skis for a couple of runs each. When you find something you like then you can get them.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The "too long for you" may also be based on your current ability.

If indeed an Instructor or an expert skier can pick out your technique and see you're getting the skis jumbled up, or one ski skidding or dragging in your turns, then they will say they are too long for you and holding you back...but just for right now.
When you advance in your skills , perhaps they won't be too long for you in the future.

You can cut your costs by just renting a shorter pair for a few days or even season lease or used skis for next season; then you can see after that if the longer skis are better.

and maybe take a lesson.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
There are numerous variables, as identified above - type of ski, technique, ability etc etc. Or you could just avoid over-complicating it and use the rough rule of thumb for at an intermediate level getting a ski at a length roughly somewhere between your chin and eyebrows, as @James mentioned above. Sounds like with a good amount of days ahead next season and the expectation you'll improve then toward the middle of that range might be a good point.

As important at the same time, a little obviously, is getting the right ski.

TS
K

KQua

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am a hefty 180 pounds.
This coming season, will rent shorter skis for the 1st 10-15 days to try and learn....
it is 85 degrees here. Already thinking of snow!
Eternal gratitude for your thoughts.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Why not start the season with a lesson on your current skis? Once the instructor gets a feel for your skills he can let you know if the current skis are too long.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That Elans sound like fun skis. Maybe your friends have judged by your progression that the longer skis are holding you back. Take a lesson and see what the instructor says, then confirm by trying out different skis on a free demo day, hopefully in soft snow.

Sponsor

Staff online