• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis Getting Narrower -- Did Colorado Ski Shops Not Get the Message?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Billy Goat experience has been they are great here in fresh light powder. When the snow is other than deeper powder Kartels are a better choice for me. Billy Goats are not my first choice for bumps that aren't covered in about of foot of cold smoke. Maybe the denser snow in PNW has your fitness peaked at level unavailable here?

I got a pair of lighter glass 189 BG custom last year, fwiw they are the best wide skis I have ever used in bumps. I’ve never been on Kartels though.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Billy Goat experience has been they are great here in fresh light powder. When the snow is other than deeper powder Kartels are a better choice for me. Billy Goats are not my first choice for bumps that aren't covered in about of foot of cold smoke. Maybe the denser snow in PNW has your fitness peaked at level unavailable here?
I got a pair of lighter glass 189 BG custom last year, fwiw they are the best wide skis I have ever used in bumps. I’ve never been on Kartels though.

Kartels will pivot really easily, I found it didn’t matter which width or length I had, I could easily pivot them around in bumps. I found the BG to be better at skiing bumps with flow and shaping the turns.

YMMV.

I look forward to trying my Billy Goats in fresh, light powder. Maybe during my Gathering road trip :crossfingers:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Did something akin to that everytime I went out to play in the snow as a kid. Also did it again a couple of times over the last few years when we've gotten the occasional "snowpocalypse" around DC and I wanted to go hike around the neighborhood.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh. That’s a new one to me. And yet it makes so much sense.

Were you never six? Did you not have galoshes? Did you not have a mom? (Some kids don't, I know. Just curious.)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you never six? Did you not have galoshes? Did you not have a mom? (Some kids don't, I know. Just curious.)

I’m so tempted to say “No, I was born this way.” But I didn’t. Or did I?

My dad was a ski patrolman, so if there was snow, I was properly over-bundled up, I’m sure. Galoshes I had, Wonder bread plastic bags, nope.

From age 6 to 10 we lived in Buenos Aires, and the one time we made a trip to Bariloche there wasn’t any snow. But I got to pet and feed some some llamas.

And though I had (still have) a mom, we also had a maid in BA, but again, no snow.

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wonder bread plastic bags, nope.

"Wonder bread builds strong bodies 12 ways!" I always wanted to eat Wonder Bread and sport some nice guns like the kid in the ad, but ma insisted that whole grain home baked bread was better. Wet feet in the winter were supposed to build character.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As I said, never skied up there! Thankfully I had extra gloves ...

Crab fishing gloves... Showa or Atlas insulated orange rubber ones. $13. Secrets of the PNW skiers' secret secrets club.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crab fishing gloves... Showa or Atlas insulated orange rubber ones. $13. Secrets of the PNW skiers' secret secrets club.

I’ve got some insulated gardening gloves, which I use for gardening when it’s colder, but it seems like they would make decent wet weather ski gloves.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yeah, you just can't find narrow skis anymore. I mean, I skied with Valhalla Powder Cats last year and they wouldn't rent anything less than 115! :ogcool:

:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January