• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for daughter, part 2

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I got great advice last time, so back for round 2. My daughter (11yrs) has been growing rapidly and is now a little over 5'5" (166cm) and 120pounds. She can probably ski her 150 Smash 7s for a bit longer, but I'm on the lookout for her next ski particularly if I see a bargain :). She skied 30 days last season (mostly Kirkwood) and enjoys all sorts of terrain. I would like to see her carving a little better though. For that reason, and because we're likely to be skiing in NZ/Australia next year, I'll probably go for something a little narrower this time. Suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At her size, she is in need of an adult ski. If you cna find last year Yumi, that is a fine ski. We have a pair of DPS Uschi 168's at 82 underfoot would be a fine ski too, we can give you a deal on.

DPS Uschi F82
Dimensions:120-82-104
Radius: 15m@168
Size tested: 158
Design: All New

At 85 underfoot, DPS has a winner with a ski that can go up on edge to carve, but also loves the soft bumps. Playful and light but not at all wussy. Doesn’t do well in the chopped-up bigger bumps or crud. This ski will make an intermediate skier feel more advanced.
  • Who is it for? The female skier who likes all mountain, but not big mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Big big-mountain skiers.
  • Insider tip: Great all-around everyday, non-powder ski.

TS
peterm

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the offer @phlipug. Unfortunately procrastination set in at my end :)
Heading away for our Christmas ski holiday shortly, so may end up having to shell out full retail while away :eek:

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
+1 on Phil's recommendation of last year's Yumi -- my 17 year old daughter (5'4 1/2", 125-127 lbs) got them a year ago and loves them.

TS
peterm

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
+1 on Phil's recommendation of last year's Yumi -- my 17 year old daughter (5'4 1/2", 125-127 lbs) got them a year ago and loves them.

What length did she get? Forgot to mention that I rented some demo skis for my daughter on the weekend. She tried last year's Yumi in 154 and K2 Alluvit in 156. She lIked them both of course. We probably should have tried the next size up, as I'm not sure the lengths tried would last her very long, but ran out of time. Wary of getting too much ski though since she's still only 11, but maybe something around 160 would be best. Although shorter, the Yumi looked like it was more ski than the Alluvit with the latter having a fair amount of rocker.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
What length did she get? Forgot to mention that I rented some demo skis for my daughter on the weekend. She tried last year's Yumi in 154 and K2 Alluvit in 156. She lIked them both of course. We probably should have tried the next size up, as I'm not sure the lengths tried would last her very long, but ran out of time. Wary of getting too much ski though since she's still only 11, but maybe something around 160 would be best. Although shorter, the Yumi looked like it was more ski than the Alluvit with the latter having a fair amount of rocker.

My daughter got the Yumi in 154. I believe the next size up for the 2016 version are 161s. Based on her age and likely continued rate of growth, I believe she could handle the 161s -- maybe you can demo again at that length?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+3 on the Volkl Yumi.....both my daughters (17/15) ski the 161 Yumi here in the East and on our trips out west.

I switched my daughters to the Yumi a few years ago on the recommendation from our local Volkl rep that services our shop. He had his daughter on them.....so I figured it was a good option.

It has been a great "tweener" ski for them!

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Thanks for the offer @phlipug. Unfortunately procrastination set in at my end :)
Heading away for our Christmas ski holiday shortly, so may end up having to shell out full retail while away :eek:
So... If you are visiting Colorado these (http://www.powder7.com/DPS-Uschi-85-Pure3-Skis-158cm-Used-2017/for-sale) could be your option. I ordered Brahmas two days ago from them and they were here yesterday with ground shipping no less! Of course shipping will increase in time as you are further away but, their shipping is killer.

TS
peterm

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online