• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Dear Gang. I am looking for skis for my son: intermediate (handles double blues well), 40 days of ski over two seasons, just 14 yo, 5'7 (170cm), 125lbs Last year he used cheap, heavy rentals: 155cm with a 74mm waist. They worked quite ok for him for what they were. I am trying to get him better skis this year, mostly for Mt Rose (slightly wider and all mountain type skis work best over there).

My target is a ski in the 160-165cm range length, and 75-80 waist, These look like a fantastic deal, but perhaps too long at 168cm:
http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/nordica-firearrow-74-ca-skis-n-adv-pr-evo-bindings.aspx

Of course, he will keep growing, but I want a good ski now, not in 1y. These Rossy are abit more pricey , but they are available at 160cm:
http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packa...00-bindings.aspx#image=95823/416895/clone.jpg

I might be able to find some cheap used skis on a ski swap as well, but if these firearrows make sense, I don't know why I wouldn't pick up something new, with bindings and all ...

(I also looked here in the Classifieds)

Many thanks for any pointers/thoughts!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both that Rossi and Nordica's are very frontside/hard snow specific skis. The Nordica is very stiff and the Rossi has one turn built into to. He is fairly light and I would suggest something that he can bend in mixed conditions. A couple of skis I like here are the Blizzard Latigo and the Nordica NRGy80. Both of these skis are pretty light and will actually bend well for him.I would add the Dynastar PK78 (or 84 which can be purchased flat) if he is OK with having the same ski as dad. They are flat skis so you can put a lighter binding on for him, Marker M11.0TC would be a good choice as will the new Atomic/Salomon Warden 11, Look PX10 and Tyrolia Attack 11. Avoid the Marker Squire which is tough for a lighter skier to get into.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is where I would really like to see Volkl offer a men's version on the Yumi.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you @Jilly and @Philpug . How about these beauties?
http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/dynastar-powertrack-79-ca-fluid-x-skis-nx-11-bindings.aspx

I dropped them from the list because they are a bit pricey for a '1 year ski'. But maybe I can give them to a ski shop at the end of the season or sell them, at a fraction, if i can just recoup a bit, it's not bad.

My dear sweet boy doesn't mind having a similar ski as daddy. Heck, we are the easiest group to spot: we both use the same red ski pants, and same black jacket. When we shoot videos, just for the kick of it, it's hard to say who is who, except for the helmets, and the fact that he skis better :D

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
(as for the PT's, I was thinking in 166cm; 4cm shorter than him, i.e. a bit too short, but he will catch up soon, perhaps through the season, and the bit of rocker should make them ski a bit shorter, too?)

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Both of these skis are pretty light and will actually bend well for him.I would add the Dynastar PK78 (or 84 which can be purchased flat) if he is OK with having the same ski as dad.
Sorry, I think I got you, but did you really mean PK78 opt PT79 as I thought? Thank you!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The Nrgy 80 is a fantastic ski! There should be some of last season's graphics available at a pretty steep discount.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, as a teen he might want a twin tip ... We've had good luck with the very economical k2 sight, I suspect the shortest version of the new Nordics soul rider 87 would also deliver playfulness with real turnability

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe a Rossi Smash 7?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I just got back from REI and saw these for < $300.

I remember skiing these at an industry demo day a couple seasons back... thought they were a really great ski and maybe one of the best available for the price point.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sorry, I didn't say this, but a "system" ski with pre-installed bidings would be a big plus in terms of simplicity and cost

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
K2 Juvi can be found for reasonable prices. I agree kids enjoy the sport more when they have their own equipment, learn to take care of it, basic tuning, etc.. But, also agree that paying top dollar for the best of the best isn't thrifty when they will outgrow it in less than two seasons.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Honestly though, IMHO, if you found a great deal on the Nrgy 80, the binding is a secondary consideration. To should have no trouble finding a Rossi labelled Look binding heavily discounted as well as discontinued colors of current binding offerings like a Tyrolia Attack.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Also, as a teen he might want a twin tip ... We've had good luck with the very economical k2 sight, I suspect the shortest version of the new Nordics soul rider 87 would also deliver playfulness with real turnability

Thanks! I am trying to get him a steady incremental change. Last season he did great with 75mm @ 155, I am thinking 80mm @ 165 is the new baseline. Much wider, I fear will delay some of his technical development. But the twin tip, great idea. I think he'll be more ready for that next season, though.

BTW, last year, towards the end of the season, he did really well with the 75 mm waist on very crud like spring conditions at DV, in a fairly steep, rather narrow in parts, double blue (Orion). My skis were the same width, but I was 70 pounds heavier, so it was pretty miserable for me :D I moved 15mm wider this year.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
learn to take care of it, basic tuning, etc.. But, also agree that paying top dollar for the best of the best isn't thrifty when they will outgrow it in less than two seasons.

This! Yes, I'm trying to strike that balance. Also, it would be a different story if we were lucky to live by the slopes and get a lot more skiing in the season.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I've been looking at the recommended skis and it seems the PT79 has two key advantages: available at the size I would prefer (166cm), available online and at a good price. I found some demos at a reputable place for $250, that is, $100 less than the new ones at EVO. ANy thoughts? Is there any reason to go the extra $100 for the new ones? (I will have them tuned and waxed, regardless)

http://www.powder7.com/Dynastar-Pow...kts_9n_EKwZ1oz7OEmvMYT5W0hbeJg_mi4aAme68P8HAQ

Edit: the cheaper ones, are also one year older. I am trying to determine this, but it seems like the PT's have been redesigned for the 2015/2016 season ...

Very many thanks!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, great choices and none really bad. No one saying XX doesn't know what he is talking about or any d1ck waving that goes on elsewhere (yes, I have read the @markojp's thread on Epic).

Honestly, all of the skis mentioned are great options and none really wrong, maybe the Juvy, that is a kids ski, not for 125lb'er ;)

Skis we have so far:
PowerTrack79, system- at 5'7", the 166 being 4" below his head might be a bit short, that ski has a lot of rise
NRGy80-still like this ski, 169 though, long tip rise and taper int eh tail, skis short
K2 Sight- Tricia mentioned this ski also, at 85mm underfoot, not bad
Rossi Smash 7-great tweener ski, 90mm underfoot, did you want to go that wide? If so, great value but might fall between sizes, 160 too short, 170 too long?

Show him this thread, see if he has any questions, let HIM choose. By letting him choose, he is taking ownership of the decision and the skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid