• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for 12 year old

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the time of year when I start thinking about what gear my family will need for next year - I like to plan ahead in case I spot a great deal at the end of the season.

My son will be 12 next season - currently 145cm tall, around 36kg (80lb). Considering how much he eats and how big his feet are getting, I suspect he'll hit a growth spurt soon and be at least 148-150cm tall by the start of next season. This season, he skied on 139cm K2 Pinnacles, and they were a great ski for him. We ski in Banff and he is able to ski black or double black terrain with a lot of skill, so definitely looking for a more advanced ski for him. I'm looking at 3 different skis for next year, since his younger sister has outgrown her skis and is coveting the Pinnacles for next season, and would appreciate any input on these or other skis I should consider for him.

Options would be:
1. K2 Pinnacle in 149cm - if it ain't broke, don't fix it
2. Head Kore 87 Jr in 144cm - only 5cm longer than his current skis, but I don't mind going up just a little in length if it's the right ski. Since his sister will also use them, we usually get 2-3 seasons out of one pair of skis anyway.
3. Elan Ripstick 86T in 148cm - harder to find locally for us, as only one local shop carries Elan.

Any experience, advice, or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like all three of these skis. Einie, meanie, mienie mo?

TS
Mel

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! I will just scoop up the first one I find in the right length and price.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Armada Victa line (not sure the equivalent for boys) has a great low to mid 150s ski that has adult construction but a nice flex.

Never mind I just saw the lengths you were looking at. My daughter loved Head “the caddy” at the jr lengths. Ripped on those everywhere on the mountain (we are bow valley skiers as well). Soft to flex but could still handle a strong racer punishing them.

TS
Mel

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Victa line (not sure the equivalent for boys) has a great low to mid 150s ski that has adult construction but a nice flex.

Never mind I just saw the lengths you were looking at. My daughter loved Head “the caddy” at the jr lengths. Ripped on those everywhere on the mountain (we are bow valley skiers as well). Soft to flex but could still handle a strong racer punishing them.
Good to know - I suspect we'll be moving up into longer skis fairly quickly, so I'm always trying to keep track of options that work well here.

Sponsor

Staff online