• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
^^^Seems logical but teenage and adult boys also give pretty girls pretty skis to try to impress them..

A year or two ago, we had a liftie steal a snowboard instructor's brand new never-used board from our locker rom and give it to his girlfriend. Since she was riding at Stowe, the board was identified within days.

Last edited:

LJH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
48th season of skiing and have never locked skis and, knock on wood, have never had an issue. With that said I have always had pretty small feet (Less of a deterrent these days with rail mounts) and ski skis that are not terribly common and usually on the longer side.

It is also interesting that at all the Southern and Mid-Vermont places we ski at 99.5% of the skis are unlocked, you would think that all the uptight Fairfield county folks would be all over that.....

Cheers,
Jim

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last Sunday at Hunter....saw something for the first time.....crew of guys brought their snowboards into the pisser with them............;) Totally weird, but....it was Hunter.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Last Sunday at Hunter....saw something for the first time.....crew of guys brought their snowboards into the pisser with them............;) Totally weird, but....it was Hunter.
Snowboarders :nono:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone worry about their skis and poles when they are taking a break or having lunch? Please don’t go the “I use old poles so they are not likely to be stolen” argument as I am not going to use anything like that. I am planning on having nice Goodes Carbon poles for both of us. Does anyone take them inside with you? Am I worrying about this needlessly?

So no skis or poles stolen on your just-ending trip to Utah, I hope?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
now that I have Renouns... I'll be using my cable lock.. I put stickers on some of my skis that they'll stick too.. (have to see if they'll stick to the z-90's) I put my name on w/Markers. At big busy resorts I have split my skis/poles up w/whoever I'm skiing with too.
I am nopoleskier many days.. so that eliminates that theft.. If I use poles they are my hiking poles w/duct tape on them
Most lodges frown on equipment inside..

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Separating skis in different racks? After lunch I usually have enough trouble remembering which rack I left my pair of skis in, so I don't need to double the problem

What is worse than getting your skis stolen? Answer: have a lock in your pocket, not using it, and getting your skis stolen.

Almost all of the 12+ resorts that I have been to in western Canada have Ski Key racks. Only one of the 24+ western US resorts that I have been to had a Ski Key rack but I don't remember which one.:huh:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
After much thought and hand-wringing, I bought 4 ski keys for each family member. I bought the "family" addition which means every key is the same. With the 20% off coupon found in this thread, it ended up costing @ $80 shipped. If your ski destination has these racks, I would just buy this lock. I carry 2 and my wife carries 2. I don't notice they are in my pocket while skiing. Although no lock is completely theft proof, I think this is a great design and deterrent enough for complete piece of mind while getting lunch and also not having to wait in line at the ski check, if it's even open. Usually it is not open at my home mountain (Blue Mountain in Poconos) when I ski.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Main thing my lock gets used for most is holding my yak trax ski trax boot covers on the railing of whatever base lodge I'm skiing. I don't even always lock my skis to step inside to pee and grab a drink of water but the ski boot protectors are hanging on my cable lock down at the base all day until I put them on to walk back to the car at the end of the day.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I just lower my dins to the lowest possible every time I leave my skis outside. My skis will almost always for sure get left behind on the slopes at the end of the day for me to find.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here is what i do to avoid my stuff being removed: Kindly ask the missus for one of her skis, and then we swap so we got one each, and place the two sets some distance apart - Nobody want to remove a set of 184 cm left ski, and 162 right ski ;-)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just lower my dins to the lowest possible every time I leave my skis outside. My skis will almost always for sure get left behind on the slopes at the end of the day for me to find.

Are you saying that thieves check the ski's DIN and then don't steal the ones with the low settings????

Also are you saying that you ski with a screw driver in your pocket??? Wouldn't a lock be smaller and lighter?

I think you forgot to attach a smiley to you post.:huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
West Mt. In New York- used to be notorious for walking skis.
Main thing my lock gets used for most is holding my yak trax ski trax boot covers on the railing of whatever base lodge I'm skiing. I don't even always lock my skis to step inside to pee and grab a drink of water but the ski boot protectors are hanging on my cable lock down at the base.
Yeah but the yaktrax cost as much as the skis.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in PA, most places have the ski lock racks, which I use. They are great. Traveling, I always lock my skis, even in places where folks tell me not to worry. Now that my travel ski is a Stockli, I use a lock! That extra minute spent is worth my peace of mind.