• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
/\ That's true. Plus, for the men's lock all you need to do is touch the tumblers once and it's ready to unlock the goods. On the other hand, the women's version you have to input the combo multiple times while saying reassuring things about the shape of its construction. Even then it may decide it didn't like your tone and refuse to unlock the goods.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
/\ That's true. Plus, for the men's lock all you need to do is touch the tumblers once and it's ready to unlock the goods. On the other hand, the women's version you have to input the combo multiple times while saying reassuring things about the shape of its construction. Even then it may decide it didn't like your tone and refuse to unlock the goods.

OMG
:micdrop:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A squirt of silicone lube into the innards of a lock will keep it from freezing.

I would bet that as posted above some silicon spray inside would be a good preventative move.

What about Teflon spray? The lock on my hitch got stuck, and the guys at Home Depot recommended Teflon spray because it wouldn't goop up so badly. It worked like a charm.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Just my poles ad live lost a few pa i r of Goode including midway lodges/huts. I used to to taje them inside but now I carry a small Dakine lock and lock them to the skis. If someone really wants them they can still get them but it will take them an extra minute and may be a seen by another skier. So far so good...

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've been the victim of cart-ding and seen too many loose carts suddenly deciding to take a stroll through the parking lot. These people are probably the same ones that place an apostrophe before an S when creating plurals. UGH.:doh:
I was leisurely walking toward my car as I left a Safeway in Maryland. Noticed a cart rolling fast toward my car ! I took off running faster than ever and caught it only 3 feet from hitting my car.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
Blue Mountain in PA has a free ski check at their main mid-hill lodge. I practically never ski there so can't really say but I've never seen the ski check filled to max capacity. They also have many standard racks to handle overflow or those less concerned about leaving their gear unattended.
They also have a ski check at the base lodge.

MidwestSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I thought I posted this the other day ...but perhaps I did something wrong, but can't find it. If its a duplicate, I apologize.

Another thread about anti-theft devices got me to thinking about how common ski theft is .. Is it a frequent occurence ? Do some ski's get stolen more ? With all of the ski's in the racks, I have never really been concerned --kinda the big sky little airplance theory. My ski's are older now, so probably not a target --but just bought daughter a new pair for Christmas, so what steps should she take to protect them ?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Michael and I each carry a cable lock with a combination. Others use a ski key. My first choice is always ski valet if the mountain offers it. I never, ever leave my skis unattended without a lock. I mean it's like my Jeep Wrangler soft top. If someone wants in bad enough nothing will stop them but I'm certainly not going to leave any valuables inside or the doors unlocked to make it easier for them.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Put one ski on one rack. Put the other ski on another rack, preferably more than a couple feet away.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Three kinds of theft.. accidental where someone grabs skis similar to theirs and they just happen to also fit in the bindings.. often never notice they took the wrong skis..

Intentional, usually people on foot with an accomplice waiting in a running vehicle at the parking lot.. They usually grab several pairs, as many as they can carry, toss them in the car and drive off.

Some places now have an employee checking lift tickets and not letting anyone out on the snow by the ski racks without a lift ticket.. prevents the grab and go variety ski thieves pretty well. Other places have free ski check.. and then the cable lock.. Separate the skis to make it harder to steal.. All good against the average thief.

Third type is the prize package.. Savvy thief scopes out a spot and waits, watching folks come down and take off their skis looking for what they know to be a very expensive and easily money score. Will take note ff skis are separated and have bolt cutters too. Grab one or two GOOD pairs like they own them and casually leave with them. Not a lot can be done about that unless you catch them before they get to the vehicle..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If they are womens skis with corresponding graphics, I don't think you need to worry. I don't have any stats to back me up but my gut says women's skis don't have as much resale potential therefore won't be targetted by professional thieves.

Additionally, if thieves are the casual thieves, this is young males they will be attracted to the skis or boards and graphics they would use themselves. so skulls and blunts and smoke other "cool" stuff. Nothing pink or with flowers.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Seems logical but teenage and adult boys also give pretty girls pretty skis to try to impress them..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always lock them. It only takes a second to lock them. A switch by a person who picks your skis by mistake is still your skis gone. I never used to lock them , as there were always better skis than mine to take, but as acquire more and better skis I lock them now.
Some time ago, I was at a corporate ski day at a private club, and when I went to leave my skis were gone. After a mild panic, the culprit came back with my skis. He was a new skier, and had mistakenly taken mine back to the rental shop. The rental shop wouldn't take them (?!) and so he had to come and find them. They all look the same he says!.
Last year at a demo tent, a lady I was skiing with had her skis swapped with someone elses. New Superjoys for last years . maybe inadvertently , but gone nonetheless.
Lessons learned.
I use the SkiKey if the resort has the racks, or my cable lock.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January