• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone worry about their skis and poles when they are taking a break or having lunch? Please don’t go the “I use old poles so they are not likely to be stolen” argument as I am not going to use anything like that. I am planning on having nice Goodes Carbon poles for both of us. Does anyone take them inside with you? Am I worrying about this needlessly?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never had skis go missing, but I have had three poles disappear. Clearly the singlet was likely by mistake.

Just how would you secure poles with a cable lock unless you drilled a hole in them or soldered a d-ring to one of them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Basic cable lock in your pocket. Feels like overkill but works for peace of mind.

There used to be a better product for locking poles. I still have one of these. Put poles in left side then slide metal bracket over snug and put skis in right side and clip the end. Put the cable through the loop and lock to the rack. Much better than the Pee Wee Herman method of wrapping a basic cable 102930912732 times around your skis and poles.
s-l225.jpg

Someone really needs to bring that back. it also works with the smaller, lighter cable locks sold today..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There used to be a better product for locking poles. I still have one of these. Put poles in left side then slide metal bracket over snug and put skis in right side and clip the end. Put the cable through the loop and lock to the rack. Much better than the Pee Wee Herman method of wrapping a basic cable 102930912732 times around your skis and poles.
s-l225.jpg

Someone really needs to bring that back. it also works with the smaller, lighter cable locks sold today..

I have one of those somewhere, must look for it just to get the dongle.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have both the Ski key and cable lock. I wrap the cable around my poles and through the brakes on the skis to secure. Then around whatever support is handy. I've had 2 pairs of Goode carbon poles stolen. I lock em up.

Cable lock I use is retractable.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have both the Ski key and cable lock. I wrap the cable around my poles and through the brakes on the skis to secure. Then around whatever support is handy. I've had 2 pairs of Goode carbon poles stolen. I lock em up.

Cable lock I use is retractable.

OK, now you are talking my language. Do ski shops carry this type of stuff?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did have a pair of Kneissl White Stars stolen from Alpine many many years ago. Police said it's common and the worst place was Boreal since it's right on the freeway. Stop, grab, go.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
53 ... you got to keep em separated !

Ditch one ski and pole near the lift and ski the other down close to the lodge and park it near the door, this also doubles as a great balance drill. Besides, If a thief is watching all this a lock certainly isn't going to stop them.

I have been known to carry one the renouns or stocklis inside with me if I'm passing through quick. Yeah, I'm a dork but I work way to hard to buy my gear only to let it walk away, not to mention I don't want to have to beat someone either.
I would think this would get you a time out, wreck the mood for the day and a general buzzkill.

Always been surprised how many places offer free storage ......but that only happens at the end of the day :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online