• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review SkiNurse's Thumbnail Reviews: On Snow at SIA, 2016-17 Skis

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I learned last year at SIA that I prefer skis 155 to 161 cm long and no more than 106 mm wide. Phil and Tricia had certain skis they wanted me to demo, but unfortunately many manufacturers did not bring skis in my size.

Atomic Vantage X 95cti
Dimensions:130-95-115
Radius: 14.7m@154cm
Size tested: 154
Design: Carryover

The Vantage X skied well, but it was not very lively. It did ok in the bumps but did not like anything steep. It felt as if it was maybe maxed out on speed and pitch of the mountain.
  • Who’s it for? The skier who doesn’t venture far off piste.
  • Who’s it not for? The skier who wants to ski the steeps, trees, and deep.
  • Insider tip: Good, solid cruiser for an intermediate skier, demo first if you want to take it in interesting places.

Blizzard Samba
Dimensions:131-98-116
Radius: 18m@159cm
Size tested: 159
Design: New Construction

Light and solid, the Samba is THE all-mountain ski. Loves crud, chopped, powder, steep, trees, and groomers. Quick to turn when it needs to, but does long wide turns if you just want to open it up. It is fast enough, but doesn’t get away from you.
  • Who is it for? The advanced female skier looking for the perfect (and affordable) all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? The timid skier who won’t ski it the way it deserves.
  • Insider tip: If you are looking for the affordable, advanced all-mountain ski….this is IT!

Blossom Flere

Dimensions: 116-66-101
Radius: 11m@151
Size tested: 151

At 66 underfoot, this is the narrowest ski I have been on in more than 20 years. The rep warned me that it “loves ice,” and he was right. Took it into the same route as the Great Shape and it was not really happy with any fresh snow. Performed very well on the groomer: fast, quick onto edge, and grippy. But it really was looking for the hardest of hard pack, so (fortunately) I could not do this ski justice that morning.
  • Who is it for? The skier who wants to be a racer or just likes to ski fast on hard snow.
  • Who is it not for? The all-mountain, off-piste skier.
  • Insider tip: Same as the Great Shape: do yourself a favor and ski this.

Blossom Great Shape

Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 11m@158
Size tested: 158
Design: Carryover

Amazing in 2 inches of cream cheese powder. Quick up on edge without hardly any effort at all. Then, when it gets to the freshly groomed run, that’s where it really performs. Take the quick on edge and add speed. This is fast ski at 71 mm underfoot.
  • Who is it for? The skier who loves fast groomers.
  • Who is it not for? The skier who loves all mountain.
  • Insider tip: If you have never been on a carver (or if it’s been a while), do yourself a favor and ski a Blossom.

Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 14m@160cm
Size tested: 160

The rep at the tent stated “this is the perfect ski for you. Perfect length and you should NEVER be wider underfoot." Like the other two Blossoms, this too made effortless turns and wanted to go fast, but it is much better for skiing in a little bit of freshies, groomers, and some bumps. Does GS turns as well as short, tight turns. It did make me smile. This could could take the place of my current carver ski.
  • Who is it for? The all-mountain skier who skis off piste, but not that much.
  • Who is it not for? The big-mountain skier.
  • Insider tip: Add the Wind Shear to your bucket list.

DPS Nina F99

Dimensions: 123-99-113
Radius: 18m@168cm
Design: All New

This is the DPS that first made me giggle last season. At 99 underfoot, it is the perfect all-mountain ski including steeps, trees, and bumps. Turns quickly in the trees and bumps and floats effortlessly in chopped-up powder. Holds up well in the groomer, but not so much in the hard pack. LOVES anything off piste.
  • Who is it for? The girl looking for a light and lively yet powerful ski.
  • Who is it not for? The intermediate or novice skier who won't appreciate all it has to offer.
  • Insider tip: Let this ski rip all over the mountain and embrace the giggles!

DPS Uschi F82
Dimensions:120-82-104
Radius: 15m@168

At 85 underfoot, DPS has a winner with a ski that can go up on edge to carve, but also loves the soft bumps. Playful and light but not at all wussy. Doesn’t do well in the chopped-up bigger bumps or crud. This ski will make an intermediate skier feel more advanced.
  • Who is it for? The female skier who likes all mountain, but not big mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Big big-mountain skiers.
  • Insider tip: Great all-around everyday, non-powder ski.

DPS Yvette F112
Dimensions: 135-112-124
Radius: 15m@178cm

I was a bit concerned taking these out in the conditions that day. At 112 mm underfoot, this is considered big for me, but the rep persuaded me to go have fun. I happened to be lucky and pretty much got the rope drop up in the bowl --i.e., untracked, knee-deep snow -- and these skis just wanted to do big GS powder turns! What a thrill! Not only did they perform in the perfect powder conditions, but they also made tight, effortless on-the-edge turns on the way back to the tent.
  • Who is it for? The skier who loves everything but hard pack and bump runs. You might not ski this often during the season, but you’ll be happy to have it when the time is right.
  • Who is it not for? Racers, bump freaks, and people who don’t like big mountains.
  • Insider tip: If you can afford it, get it.

Icelantic Maiden 101
Dimensions: 136-101-126
Radius: 13m@155cm
Size tested: 155
Design: NGT

Icelantic came out with the Maiden for 2015/16. It is still a lively ski like the Oracle, but prefers an open bowl powder day, then all-mountain variable terrain.
  • Who is it for? The girl looking for a smaller-waisted powder ski.
  • Who is it not for? The girl looking for a strong all-mountain ski.
  • Insider tip: Well, if you come up with one, let me know.
Icelantic Oracle 100
Dimensions:138-100-120
Radius: 14m@155cm
Size tested: 155

To begin the day, Phil wanted everyone on a ski that they were familiar with.The Oracle from several seasons ago was my go-to ski. Last season, Icelantic produced the Oracle 88, which was a very different ski in performance than the 100. Smartly, the Icelantic crew listened to their skiers and brought back the 100.

The Oracle loves to be off piste in soft snow and in the trees. It also performs very well in steep bowls, chopped snow, some mank, and surprisingly can get up on edge on the groomers. It does well in variable snow conditions, but does not like hard-packed snow and will skid in the tail.
  • Who is it for? The lighter-weight Colorado girl who wants a ski to take her everywhere.
  • Who is it not for? A light and lively ski , it would not work well for a heavier skier.
  • Insider tip: This ski wants to play … don’t make it work too hard.
Nordica Santa Ana 93
Dimensions: 124-93-112
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Size tested: 169
Nordica Santa Ana 100
Dimensions: 131-100-119
Radius: 15.5m@169cm
Size tested: 169

Super light, the Santa Ana still feels very solid underfoot. It performed well in the variable and occasionally junky test conditions, turning quickly on the groomer and slicing through the crud. The issue I had was the length. The Nordica reps stated that this skis short, but even a short 169 is still too long for me. Once I took it to my normal terrain (steep with irregular bumps, some trees), it was difficult to initiate turns effectively. The 93 is new for next season, but the 100 was not. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed that Nordica did not bring a shorter ski.
  • Who are they for? The female skier who wants an all-mountain ski that is light and solid underfoot and can slice and dice its way through anything on the mountain.
  • Who are they not for? The skier who sticks to groomers -- although these still are not a bad choice.
  • Insider tip: Demoing to find the right size is a good idea.

RMU Valhalla
Dimensions: 122-128-104-122-116 (5-pt design)
Radius: 17.5m@172cm
Size tested: 161

This was the big disappointment of the two demo days. I could feel it flexing underfoot, but any time I tried to get it up on edge, it would throw me back into the tail and force me into a skid. This was not conducive to skiing in steep, chopped snow nor in the trees (where I took two big falls). So, I thought maybe it just would like the groomed better. Nope, nada…no go. Two of the other testers took a look at the skis and thought they were detuned. With that in mind, I took them back to RMU and stated my concerns, but they disagreed. I will give them credit for listening to me.
  • Who is it for? Park skier?
  • Who is it not for? Well, I'm not a park skier.
  • Insider tip: Definitely demo first, and check tune.

Völkl 90Eight W
Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 14.8m@156cm
Size tested: 156

What a surprise! This ski lives for the manky, chopped-up snow but then is able to hit the groomers with finesse. Light and solid underfoot, initially it felt stiff, but as soon as you initiate the first turn, it responds to minimal effort. Volkl has done a great job with this line. It could easily take the place of my current daily driver.
  • Who is it for? The gal looking for an assertive, true all-mountain ski as her daily driver.
  • Who is it not for? Might outski a timid skier.
  • Insider tip: Don't fear the Völkl.

About @SkiNurse
Height: 5'1.5"
Weight: 120 lb
Years skiing: 30+
Days per year: 60+, which includes hiking for turns during summer
Home mountains: Copper Mountain, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Vail
Preferred terrain: Variable terrain with trees, chutes, open bowls, and little (key word) drops. Powder days, of course, are always the best, but I am happiest if I have skis on my feet, so a bluebird groomer day is ok by me, too.
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: I like a ski that is playful, but not wimpy. It has to be able to go wherever I want to go on the mountain. Through trial and error, I have found that I prefer skis 82 to 105 mm wide and 153 to 160 cm long.
Boots: Lange RS 110 SC
About me: I started skiing in 1984 in California, but I don’t think that any skiing I did counted until I moved to Colorado in 1991. My first ski testing was February 2015 at SIA. My bucket list this season includes more backcountry, Taos, and a heli trip to Silverton.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@SkiNurse it was fun testing with you.
I'm surprised that we are so different in size, but seem to have a similar feeling about some of the skis we tested.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading her reviews, after doing my own demo day, makes the reviews make even more sense to me; and I also had similar feelings about the same skis, including the Samba. (I love my Sambas until I get timid!)

And yes, the Volkl 90Eight was a hoot!

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse it was fun testing with you.
I'm surprised that we are so different in size, but seem to have a similar feeling about some of the skis we tested.
Great minds.....;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reading her reviews, after doing my own demo day, makes the reviews make even more sense to me; and I also had similar feelings about the same skis, including the Samba. (I love my Sambas until I get timid!)

And yes, the Volkl 90Eight was a hoot!
This is why I thought @SkiNurse was s good resource for you. You may be a little bigger but you *ski smaller*

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse , can you tell me the difference between your Atomic Century 102, and the Samba, and the Santa Ana? Keeping in mind that I find the Samba to be way too much ski/difficult to get up on edge, as opposed to the 90Eight, which I found quite effortless. I also found the Santa Ana effortless. Debating picking up the Century and calling it good. I can mount my current Attack 12's on it. Also, how do the Atomics run size-wise? Longer than stated, shorter?? Maybe @Tricia can weigh in on this. I might be in between sizes on this ski which could be a deal-breaker.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm. The Century 102 is (even with the very heavy demo bindings I have on them) very light & lively, but is good at cutting through some of the crud. Gets up on edge easy on the groomers & even maintains control on the hard pack (but prefers not to be on hard pack). That being said, yesterday at Abasin where it was 10 inches of fresh snow. VERY windy and slab snow. This was the only time I wished the Centuries were a bit heavier under foot. The Sambas I have only been on twice. First was a 165cm and the second time 159. I can get them on edge & really had fun with them both times in all sorts of conditions at Abasin & Copper. Bumps trees, soft, hard snow, steep. The only issue at Abasin, I was on the 165cm and it was too long of a ski for me to really initiate turns on the bigger bumps on Pali. I kinda looked like a crash test dummy trying to get down the hill. Now, the Santa Anas...... I have not been able to ski them in my size. At all the demos, Nordica has only brought the 169s and will say "they ski short". Well, short then brings it down to a 165cm which is still technically still too long for me. I really need to ski the 161cm to fairly do a comparison to the others. I could ski them on the groomers without an issue, but didn't like them in anything variable

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @SkiNurse! Remind me what length you have the Centurys in?? I am a little freaked by the 172 length, but 164 I know will be way too short for my tastes.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @SkiNurse! Remind me what length you have the Centurys in?? I am a little freaked by the 172 length, but 164 I know will be way too short for my tastes.
Off hand, I think they are 155cm.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
But can you imagine how long it would have taken for my skis, for example? Up all night, not just til 3...
Yes but think how many more torture sessions on swollen toes could take place. Pretty soon you're kidnapping people lost on the road. Then they make a movie, "Carbondale Toe Massacre", everyone's famous, you turn the house into a museum and move to Aspen where you asphyxiate neighbors by idling the car too long while they get the mail. You're then arrested, but become a cause celebre, the case is thrown out but now the house is swamped by tourists and guys revving their engines out front. Now you have to move again, good news for all your neighbors who look like fire fighters wearing Scott Air Packs they want you to pay for. You try to go back to the Carbondale homestead but that now has become an illegal immigration, torture, and kidnapping museum supported by Trump Industries. ( He insisted on the immigration part for the $) The land you thought you might get has been bought by the Donald for high altitude golf- where the drive goes farther and everyone's a winner. Trump plans to hold his new "The Old Masters" golf tournament there with corporate sponsor the Rijksmuseum. So now you're still looking for a place to live, celebrity to half but constantly trailed by protesters wearing gas masks. It's tough.

Maybe just keep the skis short?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well hell, I didn't even think about the wax savings. Maybe I'll return them ;)
Off to pick them up here in the next hour. I am going to drag my daughter up on the hill for an hour or so after school so I can try them out. The snow is reaaallllly nice right now.

Sponsor

Staff online