• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse's 2020 Ski Reviews

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When I first started testing skis four years ago, there were very few options for gals on the smaller side of average, ie, me! Last year was the first time that I felt that two days weren’t enough to test all the skis available to me, and this year I felt that there wasn’t enough time to test all the skis I wanted to ski.

All the skis tested this year (except for the Black Crows) were put to the same conditions at Copper Mountain. Each top-to-bottom run started at the top of Sierra lift and consisted of bumps, crud, soft chop, chalk, steep, and groomers. This year, I decided to look at each ski as where it would fit into my own quiver.

Atomic Vantage 90 Ti W
Dimensions: 124-90-111
Radius: 16.5m@161cm
Sizes: 153, 161, 169
Size tested: 161
Design: Carryover

Surprisingly strong, the Vantage 90 Ti W gets up on edge easily but seems to have a speed limit. It is playful in the soft chopped, crud, bumps, and chalk, but on the groomers prefers to make big slow turns over short fast turns.
  • Who is it for? A strong intermediate to advanced skier who wants a good, reliable all-mountain ski, but can’t afford the Stöckli.
  • Who is it not for? Too much ski for a beginner.

Black Crows Vertis Birdie
Dimensions 120-85-104
Radius: [email protected]
Sizes: 152.6, 159.3, 169.6
Size tested: 159.3
Design: Carryover

The Birdie was my least favorite ski of the test, which is too bad because I was looking forward to checking out the hype about Black Crows. It did not like the hard pack; maybe it would be fun on a soft groomer. Hence, I did not take this ski on the same route as the others. It was hard to get up on edge, and difficult to figure out where to initiate the turn. Other testers from some ski shops (even those that carry the brand) felt the tune was suboptimal. Maybe that width is just not its genre? I do hope to get on some of the wider Black Crows in the right conditions.
  • Who is it for? The skier who will buy it just because it says “Black Crows."
  • Who is it not for? Everyone else.

Head Kore 93 W

Dimensions: 130-91-113
Radius: 15.4m@171cm
Sizes: 153, 162, 171
Size tested: 162
Design: All New (sort of)

The Kore 93 W was the high performer of my two days. In fact, I could find nothing wrong with this super solid ski. It turns quickly and efficiently on wind scour, crud, soft, groomers, and bumps; it takes no effort to get up on edge; it doesn't seem to have a speed limit. I’m assuming it would perform just as well with up to 6 in. of fresh snow (if not more).
  • Who’s it for? Me, that’s who. This will be the ski I purchase to add to my quiver. Who else? An intermediate skier wanting a ski to grow with, or an advanced skier looking for a solid 90-something ski.·
  • Who’s it not for? A novice skier who can't quite give this ski what it needs.

Liberty Genesis 90
Dimensions: 126-90-112
Radius: 13m@158cm
Sizes: 151, 158, 165
Size tested: 165
Design: Redesign

Super fun all-mountain ski. It loved playing up on the mountain, even though it probably would like softer snow better (don't we all?). It was very lively in the bumps and got on edge quick on the chalky steeps. On harder snow, make sure you stay in the middle of your feet: if you get in the back seat, it will get away from you.
  • Who’s it for? The Western gal looking for 90-something all-mountain ski for soft snow.
  • Who’s it not for? East Coasters who ski ice.

Liberty V82 W
Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 12.5m@158cm
Sizes: 151, 158, 165
Size tested: 158
Design: All New

This was my favorite ski of Day 1! First of all, it’s jaunty. It initiates turns; short, fast, long, short. It loves to turn. It also loves the steeps, the bumps, and the chalk. This ski has the good qualities of both my Kästle LX82 and MX83 without any of the less-good qualities (aka, it could very well replace the Kästles in my quiver).
  • Who is it for? The skier that is looking for an everyday driver that isn’t afraid of taking you most places on the mountain…and can get you back to the bottom, FAST!
  • Who is it not for? Park skiers/jibbers, anyone who likes to ride in the back seat.

Salomon Aira 80 Ti
Dimensions:123-80-106
Radius: 11m@162cm
Sizes: 148, 155, 162, 129
Size tested: 155
Design: All New

When I first got on this ski, I thought it would be just a carver/groomer ski. I was very surprised when I took it to the ski circuit I was doing for testing; it did very well in the bumps and crud, being more playful than expected. And, yes, it still carves very well.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a frontside carver that can do a bit more.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who only wants a frontside carver.

Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85
Dimensions: 129-85-113
Radius: 15.8m@168cm
Sizes: 153, 161, 168
Size tested: 153
Design: New Construction

The first Stöckli I skied was the Laser MX last year, and I fell in love. The Motion 85 did not disappoint. This ski handles everything you can throw at it; it seems to anticipate when you want or need to turn. Short turns, long turns. Fast turns, slow turns. It doesn’t have a speed limit. The only issue was a little bit of chatter when in the little bit of refrozen crud on the side of the groomer.
  • Who is it for? Like the Laser MX? This would be the next step up for an all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? No one ... unless you have a budget.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse , these are definitely more valuable (to me) and fun reviews than previous years'. The fluidity and fun-loving qualities of your skiing are seeping into your writing. You lost the self-consciousness. Super good resource now. Brava.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse , these are definitely more valuable (to me) and fun reviews than previous years'. The fluidity and fun-loving qualities of your skiing are seeping into your writing. You lost the self-consciousness. Super good resource now. Brava.
That means a lot to me. Thank you! :beercheer:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks for these reviews. I was considering the Liberty Genesis 90 as a potential replacement for my Volkl Kenjas. They aren't going to work it seems. I would like to try them sometime though.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great reviews! The more I read these reviews the more I realize that Liberty seems be making greater inroads into both men’s and women’s skis with each season that comes along.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The 3 that jumped out at me were

Evolve 90 165cm
Genesis 90 165cm ***
Variant 87w 163cm ***

I guess I need to get liberty as only a powder ski out of my head as it seems they are playing in the hard pack /mixed condition sandbox as well.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online