• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the last couple of years, it has been frustrating that the ski manufacturers did not bring skis for the on-the-short-end-of-average ski tester. This year, most did bring skis that were less than 165 cm, and I almost wished that there was another day of on-the-snow testing so I could try everything that was out there.

Atomic Vantage X 80 CTi W
Dimensions: 122-80-103.5*
Radius: 15.5m@159cm
Sizes: 151, 159, 167
Size tested: 159
Design: Carryover/NGT
*scaled sizing

Very fun! You can drive this ski or put it on autopilot. The Vantage 80 did just as well in the bumps as it did on the groomers. It would be a great daily driver for any intermediate to advanced skier.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for an 80-something daily driver.
  • Who is it not for? Lodge moms.

Blizzard Sheeva 10

Dimensions: 131.5-102-121.5
Radius: 16m@172cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172
Size tested: 156
Design: Carryover

In all fairness, the conditions at SIA this year were better for carvers than for 100-somethings. The Sheeva is a ski that was easy enough to initiate and could hold a decent edge, but I really wanted to get it in better off-piste conditions. I have heard a lot about this ski and would like to spend more time on it in the right snow.
  • Who is it for? The skier looking for an all-mountain ski for soft snow.
  • Who is it not for? It isn't the greatest as a frontside carver.

DPS Alchemist 79 "The Trainer"
Dimensions: 123-79-106
Radius: 12.5m@160cm
Sizes: 160, 167
Size tested: 160
Design: All New

I have always been a fan of DPS's Nina, Yvette, and Zelda, which are light, lively, and work well in all conditions for my size. Surprise! The Alchemist is a completely different ski. This is not your normal DPS ski: it is stiffer and you need to get some speed to drive it up on edge, but it holds that edge very nicely once there.
  • Who is it for? The DPS fan who wants a carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who don't want to turn.

Icelantic Oracle 100
Dimensions: 138-100-120
Radius: 17m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 165, 175
Size tested: 155
Design:Carryover/NGT

The Oracle 100 is fun, light, and lively. It loves the steep, soft, and chalky, and it is very playful in the trees. It does ok on the groomers but not as well in slabby snow or hard pack.
  • Who is it for? If you are looking for something fun and playful, here it is.
  • Who is it not for? Carvaholics.

K2 Tough Luv
Dimensions: 129-82-111
Radius: 14m@160cm
Sizes: 146, 153, 160, 167
Size tested: 153

The original Tough Luv was the last K2 I bought. It was a favorite ski of mine for a few seasons. This new Tough Luv didn’t disappoint. It is still “burly” for a Luv ski, but didn’t feel as stiff as the previous model. (Or it could be that I’m a different skier than I was nine years ago ….) You need to make this ski your bitch and stay on top, or it will get away from you. Needs speed to get up on edge, but once you do, it is quick to turn.
  • Who is it for? A gal who wants a more burly Luv ski.
  • Who is it not for? It isn't an easy ride.

Renoun Z-90
Dimensions: 136-90-124
Radius: 15m@174cm
Sizes: 157, 165, 174, 180
Size tested: 157

Cyrus has done a great job with this ski. I demoed this ski when it originally came out in a 165, and even though I enjoyed it, it was just a bit too long. I am very happy he made a ski for the "fun-sized" people in this world. It sliced through varied terrain on Union Peak at Copper like it was butter. It loves steep pitches and chalky snow, and it holds an edge on groomers at low or high speed.
  • Who is it for? The skier with a bit of extra money who wants a solid all-mountain ski in the 90s.
  • Who is it not for? Well, if you have to ask .....

Rossignol Sky 7 HD W

Dimensions: 128-96-118
Radius: 16m@164cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172

The Sky 7 is very light and easy to turn. It held an edge on the groomers and would be fun in intermediate steeps and trees; it probably even has enough float for a few inches of freshies.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for an easy, light ski that is venturing toward more of an all-mountain experience.
  • Who is it not for? An aggressive skier. This ski does not like to be driven.

Rossignol Experience 84 Ti W
Dimensions: 126-84-116
Radius: 12m@160cm
Sizes: 144, 152, 160, 168
Size tested: 152

Rossignol takes it up a notch from the Sky 7 with the Experience 84, which is stiffer and likes to be driven. It is quick onto edge and loves to carve and did very well in the firmer groomed conditions, but it might not like softer, deeper snow due to the stiffness. This is a ski that I would like to get to know a little better.
  • Who is it for? The athletic female who likes to drive a ski.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who doesn’t like to get a ski up on edge.

Stöckli Laser MX
Dimensions: 119-65-100
Radius: 11.4m@156cm
Sizes: 144, 150, 156, 162

I don't think there are enough adjectives to describe this ski. Smooth and responsive. It seems to predict what you want to do next. Slow turns, it wants to cruise. High speed? More, please.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who wants a pure ski
  • Who is it not for? No one. Sell your children to buy this.

Völkl Flair Carbon

Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Sizes: 150, 155, 160, 165
Size tested: 155

This is a great frontside carver. In the beginning, I had a problem with the chatter. @Drahtguy Kevin and @FairToMiddlin encouraged me to make this ski my bitch and just drive it. So, I did. Wow. What a difference! It was responsive, quick, and FUN!
  • Who is it for? The skier who is not afraid to drive a ski.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.

Völkl Secret
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 16m@163cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170

Originally coming off the lift, the Secret felt kinda dead under my feet. But, just like the 90Eight I tested two seasons ago, I was surprised by how easily it initiated the first turn. While coming down Ptarmigan at Copper, which was hard packed, it liked to make turns at a rate of speed and held a solid edge.
  • Who is it for? The skier who wants to trust a ski in any condition.
  • Who is it not for? Passive skiers would be happier on something else.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
My fairly lightweight male friend did a few days on a demo pair of Sheevas ( or She-wees as we liked to remind him they were called in a totally supportive of gender fluidity but also basically childish way). He liked them a lot in the mixed corn to rotted isothermic snot we were skiing and he's not a massively seasoned skier but did really well formwise on them.

James

Out There
Instructor
What was that Faction you skied on?
Judging from the outside, seemed you really liked that ski.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What was that Faction you skied on?
Judging from the outside, seemed you really liked that ski.
Prodigy 2.0...and that will also be a review coming soon

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I have a major midlife crisis and start a punk band, it will be named Rotted Isothermic Snot.

You’ll need this for your costume.
F2F08CA8-E444-4679-89E0-1C9957005421.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Was it the 2019? I demoed the 2018 and felt the Prodigy was too soft but my friend here who reps them says the new Prodigy is fantastic. I absolutely love my Faction CT 3.0. these skis are pretty impressive

James

Out There
Instructor
Was it the 2019? I demoed the 2018 and felt the Prodigy was too soft but my friend here who reps them says the new Prodigy is fantastic. I absolutely love my Faction CT 3.0. these skis are pretty impressive
She skis sizes that fit below the counter. Could be a different world.

Whatever it was, it was very synergetic to her skiing. My rec for her is to buy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was super fun skiing with you during the demos this year. Glad to have you back.
And don't forget the Renoun Z-90's :D

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiNurse - or anyone else- How does the Stockli MX compare to the AX?
I think @Philpug answered it best. ;)

In all fairness, this is the only Stokli that I have skied...and I now know why several friends like then so much. I really would really like to ski a Stormrider.

Sponsor

Staff online