• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to here about your condition Graham418. Afib is near and dear to my heart, for several reasons. I designed cathlab equipment for about a decade and worked with several doctors in the Boston area that did cath procedures, including ablations. Turns out they had to use my products on myself due to contracting Afib. I was a lone fibrullator, no underlying cause. I was very symptomatic and had very reduced stamina and strength when in Afib. Some people don't really feel it, but boy did I. After trying almost every medication available (except amioderone, very damaging stuff) I was finally cured after 10 or so ablations (yes I did have 10 of them). Dr William Stevenson is the man how knows how to cure it, he is at the Brighams and William Hospital in Boston. I had ablations with 4 other EP cardiologists who in reality didn't know how to cure it with ablation. They all claimed to be able to cure me, but they failed. Stevenson succeeded, he is the real deal.

Anyway, if having an episode (mine would come and go, and sometimes they wouldn't go) I would be able to ski greens and blues, but not anything more challenging. I am an expert skier. Cardioversions worked well on me, had about 30 of them. Its a tough thing to try and live a normal athletic life with, if symptomatic. One key for me was taking a low dose of a beta blocker every day. That made an afib episode less severe. I also would carry some with me at all times and if having an episode, I would take one or two and it would help a lot to slow my heart rate down and get me back into synus rythem.

I highly advise you to contact Stevenson at the B&W Hospital and get evaluated for an ablation cure. I have been cured for over 10 years and I got my athletic life back. He was a blessing. There is a wide variation in how doctors view and treat Afib. Most consider it very minor and basically treat the blood clot risk. I almost never took blood thinners, my goal was to stay in sinus rythem the vast majority of the time. I did spend 2 years in constant afib and had to go on the thinners. I was told I would never be able to stay in sinus rythem again. Most of what I was told was wrong. I have a very jaded view of doctors because of all the BS that was told to me. Again Stevenson cured me and he is the real deal. How you want to handle your Afib is up to you, but don't accept the doctors advice that says you can't get rid of it and you have to live with it. If you want to OK, but most doctors would love to have you as an afib patient, they will be making lots of money off you. There will be plenty of billable procedures in your future if you are symptomatic. Based on what you described on your ski trip, you fall into the symptomatic category.

Sorry if this is a bit much, but I am giving it to you straight. Just a FYI, when I found out I had it, almost 20 years ago, I spent two weeks in the medical library at Hewlett Packard reading every medical article about Afib I could find. I wanted to make sure I knew as much as the doctors on the subject. By the time I was done with it all, I did. I am telling you this so you don't think I am some overly opinionated Aho.. acting like a know it all. I made sure I knew what all my options and odds were. I struggled with it for 10 years (got it in my early 30's) and cried like a baby when Stevenson finally cured me. A lot of difficult emotions inside me from dealing with it.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
He finally got a portable EKG, when to the California Gold Rush race in Tahoe, drank a few cups of coffee and took off like a bat out of hell. He succeeded in triggering the fibrillation, stripped off his top and gasping for breath, wired himself up. Various people were freaking out, but he just kept saying "I'm a doctor, I know what I'm doing".
I'm not sure this is anything even remotely similar, but sort of sounds like me, except for last part (stripping off, wiring myself and telling "I know what I'm doing" :D ). I had few "weird" issues couple of years ago, when my HR went up to 220 (my max hr is 178) and you could feel heart is not really working normally, no idea how to describe, but literally felt like some sort of fibrillation and not normal "pumping". Everytime it happened I was pushing a bit harder (xc skiing, running or mtb), was maybe a bit on dehydrated side, and what's most important, I have been drinking bunch of espressos before training session. I guess I don't need to mention this scared the shi*t out of me, and I activated all my friends to get some favours back, and in less then 2 months I had pretty much every possible medical check done... nothing... all good. Then I tried few things myself, and figured it out, if I cut on coffee 3-4h before training, I never had this issue. Made another test, drink 2 or 3 coffees and went for run... bang 20min into the run, same thing. So I stopped drinking coffee 3-4h before session. I still drink the same amount of coffee during day (in worse days that's also something like 10 espressos/day), but I avoid drinking it before training session and never had these issues again. Probably nothing similar to your friend, but that "drank a few cups of coffee and took off like a bat out of hell" still sounds like my thing.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB , Thanks for your words. You sound much like me. I am symptomatic, this came out of nowhere. It is causing me some considerable anguish, both physical and mental .
Fortunately , I have a very good cardiologist at St. Michaels Hospital in Toronto, and I am trusting that he and his team will put things right for me . I just heard back from him the other night, after discussions with his colleagues, and the next course of action is a round of Amiodorone (yes, this scares the heck out of me too), to get my heart into a more susceptible state for a successful cardioversion . If that is not successful, then they will do the ablation, but they think should have another try at cardioversion before they go that route .

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure this is anything even remotely similar, but sort of sounds like me.

That sounds very much like my friend's atrial fib. He said caffeine is commonly a trigger and was somewhat a trigger in his case. If you can control it by just avoiding caffeine prior to anaerobic efforts, great. The treatment he had is not simple nor is it always effective.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB I just heard back from him the other night, after discussions with his colleagues, and the next course of action is a round of Amiodorone (yes, this scares the heck out of me too), to get my heart into a more susceptible state for a successful cardioversion . If that is not successful, then they will do the ablation, but they think should have another try at cardioversion before they go that route .

Long term therapy with amiodorone will do damage to other parts of your body, like your liver. Since I was in my 30's, they kept me away from that drug, even though it is the most effective. A short term dosage should not be a problem from what I know. Ask your doctor for more specifics if you are concerned, which I am sure you are.

Your case is a bit different from me in that the cardioversions always worked for me. My understanding is they turned up the "power" until it worked. I do know sometimes it took 2-3 jolts to be effective. One time the "Versed" drug they would give me to knock me out wore off and I woke up just before another jolt and they didn't notice. They knew I was awake when I screamed at the top of my lungs. It hurt like hell. I doubt you will need an ablation to get you back in sinus rythem, but I am not a doctor. The ablation is typically done when you continue to go back into afib. If you are one and done after the cardioversion, you will be one of the lucky ones. For me, I went into Afib about every few weeks, and was constantly going for a cardioversion to get me back into sinus. If you get to that point, its time to think seriously about ablation. I do know everyone is different and there can be heart issues which make you more susceptible to Afib. I was a lucky one in that I didn't have any heart abnormalities that caused it to happen, it just did.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The bad news is, he told me to cancel my ski trips to Big Sky
I'd find another doctor! Seriously, good luck on figuring it out. A little missed skiing is a small price to pay to get better.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I woke up just before another jolt and they didn't notice. They knew I was awake when I screamed at the top of my lungs. It hurt like hell.

Is that you in the Youtube video? The one titled " Don't watch this before your cardioversion"

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that you in the Youtube video? The one titled " Don't watch this before your cardioversion"

I have more hair, not me. I know how he feels though. My wife was typically in the room during the cardio versions. The drug they give you makes you loopy and you have short term memory loos. Now I know why she was usually laughing when I woke up and telling me things I said that I don't remember. The woman who said "I don't think he was out" was right, he wasn't. I DO remember the shock they gave me like it was yesterday, I was definitely not out for that one.

The look on his face afterwards from the drug was priceless, I am sure I looked the same when the drug wears off in a minute or two and you wake up.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just had my first cardioversion yesterday. I guess I've had a-fib for about 10 years all in, been taking 2.5mg bisoprolol daily most of that time. I don't really feel a problem most of the time, but I used to do a lot if hillwalking, and occasionally I'd find that I was really struggling where I should not have been. I feel like the power has been turned off in my legs and I get very tired very quickly. Usually I'm able to continue after a short rest and perhaps some snacks . Other times it doesn't happen at all, although I'm naturally less fit than I once was . My resting pulse was around 46 to 56 when I was fit.
I had one round of cardioversion yesterday, and although I've done nothing very strenuous today, a decent walk with the dog has left me feeling better than i have been recently.
Hopefully this will last for some time, the nurses told me yesterday that they have a regular patient who has had 41 cycles..
My other misfortune is to suffer from Gout, yes, that funny old disease that you get from too much high living.
Well I can tell you that this is becoming far more common nowadays, and is without a doubt the most painful single thing I've ever endured.
Im hoping that the improvement in my circulation will help to stop this hideous affliction returning, it's a really awful thing to suffer, since I cant actually find out what triggers an attack. Not to be wished on your worst enemy, I can promise.
Here's to regular heartbeats, now perhaps I can finally use one if these fancy watches that track such things, normally they cant find my pulse at all...I have been told before that I'm heartless, it stings to have a watch tell you that you're dead...

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Well, I guess I'm joining the afib club. Of all people, my urologist made the call yesterday while taking my pulse. An electrocardiogram this morning confirmed it, and I'm starting on metoprolol and eliquis. I get a echocardiogram next week, then probably see a cardiologist next. Hope I didn't waste my $$ on an IKON pass this season. I felt dizzy for a half-hour at the Big Sky Gathering this year, but that went away and I figured it was just altitude. I live at 6200' and work at 6700', so it's not usually an issue.

It must have been going on for some time (years?) because I don't feel any different. I thought my $40 auto blood pressure unit was screwed up because it never gave me the same pulse rate twice. It probably just can't make sense of afib signals.

I'm both encouraged and a bit scared from reading this thread. Not sure what to think about all the jumper cables and zapping going to come my way. Took the mountain bike off the back of the motorhome today. I was planning on going out for a ride by myself in the mountains where there's no cell coverage. Both my doc and my wife thought that wasn't a great idea at the moment.

Last edited:

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh well, since cardioversion did nothing for me I'm now scheduled for an ablation.
Hoping this will make a difference.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Best wishes to you guys with A-fib. My dad, one brother, and a bunch of other relatives had this issue. My brother is 74 and has a pacemaker and is still very physically active. I've had some heart palpitation issues on occasion, so I'm sort of on the lookout for A-fib as I get older.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I had a successful cardioversion on Monday. I hope I joined the "one and done" team on this one. It was amazing to watch my blood pressure and pulse just relax and go back to the numbers I'm used to in just minutes. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, and tests showed my heart has done a little remodeling. A post-cardioversion test called a cardiac PET stress scan showed some artery blockage that I'm going in for a followup later this month. All in all it's been encouraging. I'll probably go back into A-fib when I get the medical bills, however. I'm expecting a battle royale over whether the hospital was in network or not.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SpikeDog , Good luck with that, hopefully it will stick. Mine didnt take until the third try. I needed a good base loading of Amiodorone to get it to stay in rhythm. I felt better immediately. I do have congestive heart failure now , possibly as a result of the Afib. My ejection fraction was way down, but it is coming back. How much it will come back? Who knows ... I have my ikon pass, and have signed up for a bunch of ski trips.. Keep thinking positive!!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Hello Jay - welcome to PugSki! Not sure what you were trying to say, as all that shows up is a quote from a previous poster.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Had my second cardioversion yesterday. I needed 2 zaps to get in sinus rhythm. I had anywhere from 5% to 33% PVC burden after the first cardioversion, so obviously something is pretty scrambled electrically. I go in for my first ablation in mid-December. I had to switch cardiologists after finding out that even though the docs were in-network, the hospital wasn't. I have a 5 figure hospital bill under appeal currently. I've been to the ER, have a whole passel of new drugs (nitro, metoprolol, eliquis, flecainide, and atorvastatin), sleep apnea tested, Holter monitored, met both my deductible and out-of-pocket (both in-network and out-of-network). Cut down on alcohol and caffeine, because I still don't have a handle on what's my afib trigger. The hair on my chest is all patchy where they've shaved it for electrode placement. I don't even want to think about where the ablation catheters go in at.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ooh. Catheter entry point wasnt painful for me, but it was awkward to keep a dressing on it. I assumed they would do some "manscaping" prior to the OP but no.. I'd suggest you take care of that yourself for less discomfort. Btw, right o the crease between leg and groin, and some spectacular bruising awaits.
Sorry to anyone who's going OMG TMI !

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Well, TMI be damned, no one says anything about this in their pre-op briefing info. Before my 48 hour Holter monitor, I trimmed my Austin Powers manpelt chest hairs with an electric trimmer. The nurse said the worst part everyone complains about is the itching under the electrodes, but I found it quite tolerable. Other times nurses have used a disposable razor to cut down my chest hair, and for sure it itches way more when they do that. So if I manscape things down there, should I just trim the sides or 'clearcut' the whole forest? The operation and recovery time is several hours - did you get a bladder catheter?

Sponsor

Staff online