• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing with an ankle replacement....

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
Can you ski after an ankle replacement? I had the surgery at the end of November, and have started skiing again on my ankle replacement. So far, so good. I have three days in so far and have skied groomers and fresh powder. I was wondeing if anyone else has had this done?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you ski after an ankle replacement? I had the surgery at the end of November, and have started skiing again on my ankle replacement. So far, so good. I have three days in so far and have skied groomers and fresh powder. I was wondeing if anyone else has had this done?
Sounds like YES!. Please tell us more, we hear a lot about knee replacements, please share the history and more results.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The modern replacements are amazing. Talk with your doctor. Make sure you have properly healed and the replacement parts are stable and fully integrated. You don't want to damage things. I've skied with an individual with both hips and knees replaced. He had no major issues.

Have fun.

TS
Skidad63

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
Well, I'm posting this because I'm having conflicting opinions about skiing on an ankle replacement. Of course I told my surgeon that I ski, and had no intentions of stopping, and if need be to fuse my ankle. He told me that he felt as long as I wasn't jumping off things, and taking it easy, that I "should" be ok skiing with a replacement. I'm now at week 17 after surgery and it feels ok to ski on. There is little pain, and no swelling.
While skiing on Sunday, I was sitting next to a ski patroller, and I told him about my ankle. The guy the told me that he was an ortho surgeon, and that I probably shouldn't be skiing on it. My reason for posting is to see if any one else that has had this surgery is skiing.
As far as the procedure, it wasn't that bad. They give you an epidural that blocks the pain in your foot for about two to three days. My foot felt numb. Then your in a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking boot for 4 weeks. I started riding a stationary bike as soon as I could, until cleared for a regular bike. I biked 40 to 60 miles a week, along with physical therapy. My range of motion is perfect. I still have some soreness, but that should go away with time. I would recommend this to any one that needs a replacement. The only down side is that they don't have much data on how long they last.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Did the ortho doctor/ski patroller say you should never ski again or that it was too soon post surgery to be skiing? Personally, I would give more credence to the doctor who did the surgery.

TS
Skidad63

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
The patroller basically told that if break the implant, there's not much else they can do for you. His advise was to stay on the groomed. I see the surgeon on Monday for a check up and X-rays,
Meanwhile, yesterday sure was great at Alpine Meadows... skied untracked all morning, hiked High Traverse twice. Today, I'm skiing groomers at Squaw..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like you're taking it easy and not doing anything that risks injuring the ankle.
Is it functioning well?

TS
Skidad63

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
My ankle does function well, and I am careful not to blow through any big bumps. My ankle is probably 80%. It does get sore if I over do it. I had X-rays and a check up yesterday. My doctor said everything is good and he has no problem with me skiing.
Here is a vidieo of me skiing last weekend. I'm the slow guy with the camera.

Raymond

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Hello Skidad
I'm thinking of having ankle replacement could you please tell me what ankle replacement you had please so many different ones out there
Kind Regards
Ray

TS
Skidad63

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
Hello Skidad
I'm thinking of having ankle replacement could you please tell me what ankle replacement you had please so many different ones out there
Kind Regards
Ray
Hello Raymond,
I have the STAR implant. It’s the one with the mobile bearing, and the most reported data associated with it. I’m very happy with it. I’m a year out of surgery and I hardly even notice it. I bought a 120 flex boot and I have no problems skiing. I started skiing 16 weeks post op, and it fells great this season... I hope that helps.....
Mike

Last edited:

NWA Bill

Ski Buddy
Skier
Well, I'm posting this because I'm having conflicting opinions about skiing on an ankle replacement. Of course I told my surgeon that I ski, and had no intentions of stopping, and if need be to fuse my ankle. He told me that he felt as long as I wasn't jumping off things, and taking it easy, that I "should" be ok skiing with a replacement. I'm now at week 17 after surgery and it feels ok to ski on. There is little pain, and no swelling.
While skiing on Sunday, I was sitting next to a ski patroller, and I told him about my ankle. The guy the told me that he was an ortho surgeon, and that I probably shouldn't be skiing on it. My reason for posting is to see if any one else that has had this surgery is skiing.
As far as the procedure, it wasn't that bad. They give you an epidural that blocks the pain in your foot for about two to three days. My foot felt numb. Then your in a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking boot for 4 weeks. I started riding a stationary bike as soon as I could, until cleared for a regular bike. I biked 40 to 60 miles a week, along with physical therapy. My range of motion is perfect. I still have some soreness, but that should go away with time. I would recommend this to any one that needs a replacement. The only down side is that they don't have much data on how long they last.

Skidad63, I found your article very encouraging. I have been skiing since college days with a badly distorted ankle that needs to be replaced ...size of an orange due to football as a kid. Meeting with an ankle doc next week to see what he recommends. Hopefully I can mirror your success as my wife and I go to UT for the winter, working a few days a week at a ski resort and ski 5.The rest of the 76 year old bod is hanging in there, thanks to the new total knee that was done 14 months ago....skied 10 months after. Bill

:daffy:

TS
Skidad63

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
Skidad63, I found your article very encouraging. I have been skiing since college days with a badly distorted ankle that needs to be replaced ...size of an orange due to football as a kid. Meeting with an ankle doc next week to see what he recommends. Hopefully I can mirror your success as my wife and I go to UT for the winter, working a few days a week at a ski resort and ski 5.The rest of the 76 year old bod is hanging in there, thanks to the new total knee that was done 14 months ago....skied 10 months after. Bill

:daffy:
Bill, you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrums... i just had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago. As far as my ankle, i have skiied 32 days on it so far without any problems. My ankle does get sore at times with skiing, but nothing that some ice doesn't help, no swelling. The more time that goes by, the better my ankle feels, I really dont even think about it any more. Recovery from the ankle seems way easier and faster then what im experiencing with my knee. It took me 16 weeks to get back on my skis and start skiing groomers. In addition to my physical therapy I was riding my bike about 60 to 80 miles a week. I feel this was the best thing for rehabing my ankle. I hope that helps..... ⛷⛷⛷

NWA Bill

Ski Buddy
Skier
Bill, you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrums... i just had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago. As far as my ankle, i have skiied 32 days on it so far without any problems. My ankle does get sore at times with skiing, but nothing that some ice doesn't help, no swelling. The more time that goes by, the better my ankle feels, I really dont even think about it any more. Recovery from the ankle seems way easier and faster then what im experiencing with my knee. It took me 16 weeks to get back on my skis and start skiing groomers. In addition to my physical therapy I was riding my bike about 60 to 80 miles a week. I feel this was the best thing for rehabing my ankle. I hope that helps..... ⛷⛷⛷

NWA Bill

Ski Buddy
Skier
Thanks for the reply.....I am intrigued by you being a heavy equipment operator...I too have similar experience...If you wish, we could get off of this forum, shoot me a PM for e-mail

Mod Edit:
  • Do not include personal contact information (phone number or e-mail) in your post. Please use our private message feature for sharing personal contact information with a member.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Currently rehab’ing a skier with an ankle replacement- he will be skiing. :)

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
That’s good to hear, Brian. The only concern of mine would be the longevity of the implant, and how long it will last. What have you heard in regards to longevity?

I’m hearing 13-18 years with those who are higher active on the ankle. Obviously- most of the information on activity level is subjective & self reported.

Sponsor

Staff online