• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Skiing the oldest and largest volunteer run ski/board hill in the US

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally! After driving by Sky Tavern for the last 37 years I finally had the opportunity to pop on the skis and take some runs. Usually Sky Tavern is only open to kids and their volunteers but today was a "donation" day. $20 got you on the lift.

Started in 1948 and located just below Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe on State Route 431/Mt. Rose Highway, Sky Tavern has been a mainstay in the Reno/Tahoe area for over 70 years. Over 100,000 kids have taken part in the instruction provided by volunteers during those years. Once a part of the City of Reno, Sky Tavern has been a 501(c)(3) since 1991 with volunteers operating and maintaining the facility year-round under a lease agreement with Reno. Both my wife and oldest son learned to ski at Sky Tavern, though not at the same time. That would just be weird. Along with thousands of kids over the years names such as Tamara McKinney and David Wise got their start at Sky Tavern. For the whole history please see the Sky Tavern history webpage. For general information go here.

Things I learned today: The volunteers at Sky Tavern do a phenomenal job teaching, maintaining, patrolling, cooking, cleaning, operating equipment, and just running a damn fine program.

Also, the tech shirts from the Big Sky gathering don't care if the snow is sticky under your skis. When you find yourself on your back the shirt just goes and goes while picking up speed. Do get your feet around to slow your slide. The corollary to this is beware snow snakes on easy groomers!

20190504_085827.jpg
The ticket, while not gold, did get me in to some nice runs.

20190504_103802.jpg
The lodge is nicely appointed with a cafeteria staffed by volunteers, a big lounge room with fireplace, adaptive ski area, tuning area (it smells like wax when you walk in), a nice deck, and a team room.

20190504_105640.jpg
The fireplace in the room with a view.

20190504_105802.jpg
The team room. At least that's what I'm guessing it is.

20190504_105845.jpg
The rudimentary trail map. There is an Olsen Lift, as noted, but the tape came off where it goes. There is actually quite a bit on the backside of the hill that isn't visible from Mt. Rose Highway. The volunteer patrollers I spoke with said there are some pretty good black diamond chutes and trees.

20190504_105940.jpg
Every year Sky Tavern has a big ski sale/swap meet. This is where the skis that are just too old or don't sell go.

20190504_110719.jpg
The panorama from the deck.

20190504_091529.jpg
Heading up the lift. The snow *looked* good but it didn't *sound* good as some of the kids were scratching their way down through the trees.

20190504_091625.jpg
Breaking out of the trees gives a good look at one of the face runs and a bit of nicely groomed track.

20190504_091807.jpg
The main run off the lift was super nice today. Soft without being mushy.

20190504_092236.jpg
From the top you get a good view of the Chutes at Mt. Rose.

20190504_095540.jpg
Nice, soft, sun cooked snow.

20190504_101159.jpg
A little bit groomed, a little bit not. This is the other main lift that wasn't running today.

20190504_095732.jpg
It's not a huge pitch but it does have a nice slope to it. The whole area was larger than I thought and had some pretty good steeper terrain, although it's not a huge vertical.

20190504_095537.jpg
One last look at the lift with the Chutes of Mt. Rose peeking out from behind.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Love the idea of old skis. I'm thinking bar!!

You know, you start with one turn at a time. Yes it's great to ski at a mountain resort, but these smaller hills breed skiers!!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the idea of old skis. I'm thinking bar!!
What was really neat was they matched the shapes of the skis so there aren't big gaps where sidecuts are.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought all those old straight skis didn't have any sidecut. :cool:
Not much but if you put them tip to tip there's enough to leave a gap. Shallow sidecut x 2.

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty cool place, but I'd only go there if they had $4.50 chocolate chip cookies in the caf.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty cool place, but I'd only go there if they had $4.50 chocolate chip cookies in the caf.
$8 for cheeseburger and cheese fries. Not bad!

James

Out There
Instructor
Nobody's thete but they don't let people in?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nobody's thete but they don't let people in?
It's a weekend only program. Kids get bussed or parented up to the hill for several weekends during the season. It's totally dependent on Ma Nature; no snow making. On the weekends it's packed.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is SO cool. A shame that more areas like this aren't left.

May it run for many years to come.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That is SO cool. A shame that more areas like this aren't left.

May it run for many years to come.
Word on the street (or what I heard on the chair yesterday) is Mt. Rose has first right of refusal for the lease should the volunteers stumble. With the upcoming expansion of Mt. Rose across the highway and down the hill towards Sky Tavern it would make sense for the two to eventually connect. The base is at about 7600' and the top is 8200'. Mt. Rose could claim around 600' more vertical!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
This was interesting to watch- old pics and some ST history-

"One of the most rewarding sights at Sky Tavern is an empty wheelchair. Becasue we know that somewhere on the mountain this child is experiencing the thrill of downhill skiing." A moving line hidden in all the classic documentary style voice-over.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This was interesting to watch- old pics and some ST history-

"One of the most rewarding sights at Sky Tavern is an empty wheelchair. Becasue we know that somewhere on the mountain this child is experiencing the thrill of downhill skiing." A moving line hidden in all the classic documentary style voice-over.
Great videos! Amazing this was over 20 years ago and they're still going strong. I'm guessing Upper and Lower Ramsey at Mt. Rose are named after this Ramsey. And the line about the wheelchair made dust get in my eyes!