• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Main Street

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
One thing I'll add,.....

I've become hypersensitive to altitude for obvious reasons.

Living on the hill at 1275 Meters (4,200 feet) means I feel the thinner air for a day or two after being away at sea level for a while & then my body acclimatizes,...... getting off the chair at the top (at 6900 feet) & I do feel the body making a big effort to suck in more air.

One of the motivations for looking to pick up a beachside place in Mexico to have breaks at,..... sea level & warm is where my body like to operate at this stage,..... Throwing a line in the water is not a bad thing either ;)

But flying is what knocks me around most,...... Cabin altitude is usually kept at 10,000 feet ASL as a minimum & at that point I was really struggling at first,.... A couple of months ago I'd be "panting" just to keep from feeling like I was drowning,...... Lately it has been a lot better, but I can tell when the pilots are messing with the cabin altitude settings really easily.

TS
Main Street

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
This is what I want to get back to,...... Spring skiing last year with a mate who is an ex WC aerials skier from the early 90's,.... We hammered for a good 4 hrs until it got a bit too sloppy to be fun,..... This was at around about the sweet spot for carving trenches...... No one around & you just let 'em go......

The day before we were joined by a Masters ski racer, Len,.... This was huge fun as we lapped that run at just about the perfect time on a Spring morning....

:)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, my ejection fraction is in the mid-50s, and has remained at that level for over six years now.
As a CCU/ICU nurse, who's specialty is trauma & cardiac, and I'm here to tell ya, 50% is awesome! Good for you!!! :yahoo:

To add my own two cents to this thread: Ejection fraction is how much blood is pumped out of your left ventricle of your heart (Yes, there is a right ventricle measurement, too). It is only ONE component to evaluate heart health. Normal is 55-65%. Some cardiology experts bring that percentage up to 70-75% because of high-end athletes, but that is not the normal population. Think of athletes like Lance Armstrong (in his prime) that was rumored to have an EF of 75-80%. </= 10% EF makes you a really good candidate for a heart transplant. No one has an EF of 100%. Why is left ventricle EF important? It is how the heart gets oxygenated blood to the rest of your body. Simple as that. If your heart is damaged by a heart attack or other cardiac disease, there are treatments that include medication, cardiac rehab, weight control by a change of diet & exercise and smoking cessation, that can help increase your cardiac function. Does it always work? No, it depends on the individuals' starting EF and compliance with the treatment plan, but if you're compliant than your chances of increased EF are really good. The heart is amazing!!

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/ejection-fraction

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...asurement_UCM_306339_Article.jsp#.WQs4LtLyvIU

http://www.mayoclinic.org/ejection-fraction/expert-answers/faq-20058286

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/HeartDoctor/answer_3476.cfm

PS: This was my 1000th post!!!:beercheer:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my near Widowmaker event.

My situation was almost identical to @NESkier_26 , I had a complete blockage, dropped to the floor and was immediately given CPR by an off duty EMT. The stents went in the next morning and I'm pretty much back to normal now. I went in on a Monday evening and was released directly out of the ICU on Thursday morning. They let me walk to the street.

After the cardio rehab, some time on the bike, six weeks in Whitefish, 2 miles open ocean swimming and a little practice, I did a 5000m personal best on the C2 Rower about a month ago. I'm pretty stoked to be above ground and doing the things I love, like REALLY stoked!

I met the guy who saved my life a few weeks ago, I knew who he was but we must have been on different gym schedules (this happened at my local YMCA). He was an EMT over in Sun City (the retirement community) for 14 years. He told me he's done CPR on at least 1000 people and he's never seen anyone get up afterwards like I did. My Momma always said I was special...

The only thing I noticed now is my recovery time after being in oxygen debt is a lot longer. I can max out my heart rate and not feel bad but I need an extra minute to get it back together. I'm on a blood thinner (Brillinta) that has "shortness of breath" as a side effect so I'm thinking it may be the cause of that. But if it's the only thing I have to live with I can't complain.

Sounding off about how healthy I am and how little I had to suffer seems like tempting fate a bit but honestly I feel more alive and engaged than ever. I may suffer a terrible fate in some other way but for now I'm enjoying life.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my near Widowmaker event.

My situation was almost identical to @NESkier_26 , I had a complete blockage, dropped to the floor and was immediately given CPR by an off duty EMT. The stents went in the next morning and I'm pretty much back to normal now. I went in on a Monday evening and was released directly out of the ICU on Thursday morning. They let me walk to the street.

After the cardio rehab, some time on the bike, six weeks in Whitefish, 2 miles open ocean swimming and a little practice, I did a 5000m personal best on the C2 Rower about a month ago. I'm pretty stoked to be above ground and doing the things I love, like REALLY stoked!

I met the guy who saved my life a few weeks ago, I knew who he was but we must have been on different gym schedules (this happened at my local YMCA). He was an EMT over in Sun City (the retirement community) for 14 years. He told me he's done CPR on at least 1000 people and he's never seen anyone get up afterwards like I did. My Momma always said I was special...

The only thing I noticed now is my recovery time after being in oxygen debt is a lot longer. I can max out my heart rate and not feel bad but I need an extra minute to get it back together. I'm on a blood thinner (Brillinta) that has "shortness of breath" as a side effect so I'm thinking it may be the cause of that. But if it's the only thing I have to live with I can't complain.

Sounding off about how healthy I am and how little I had to suffer seems like tempting fate a bit but honestly I feel more alive and engaged than ever. I may suffer a terrible fate in some other way but for now I'm enjoying life.

Great recovery, Fuller. Way to go getting back out and active!

You should check with your cardiologist about whether you can stop taking Brillinta after one year. I was on Plavix for the first year after my MI, and there is pretty solid literature out there for discontinuing it after a year. Of course, our underlying conditions might be somewhat different, but it's something to check out, especially if you are experiencing side effects.

And as an aside, I see the trainer who diagnosed me and essentially saved my life a couple of times a year. It's always big smiles and hugs for both of us.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This thread is near and dear to my heart. (Pun intended)
I had my acute MI event in November 2013: blockages 100%, 99%, and 80%.
No prior history of hypertension, high cholesterol, or smoking, but really bad genes (both grandfathers and my father) and LOTS and LOTS of STRESS.
The wonderful folks at Medical Center of the Rockies scrambled the cath lab in 30 minutes, and placed drug eluting stents in the first two.
As they rolled me out of surgery, my first words were, "when will I be able to ski?" My doc told me, "let's not worry about that right now."
What he didn't tell me was that he told my wife that I had a 1 in 3 chance of making it through the day.
My blood pressure was so low that they would not administer any pain meds for the first day, an experience I would not like to revisit.
It was four days before I had the strength to stand, but today I am robust enough to climb Lookout Mountain, Deer Creek Canyon, and Vail Pass on my road bike.
I still stuggle with weight, but I am as healthy as a horse (OK, maybe one closer to the glue factory than the Derby). I have no clue what my ejection fraction is or what percentage of function I have in the circumflex, which was left alone at 80 blocked, but life is more meaningful and precious. It is easier to live in the present (easier, but still not easy).
More than once I have thought about initiating a gathering of heart attack survivors, because we really appreciate what so many take for granted.
The two most memorable days of skiing for me are Day 1 over 40 years ago and my first day on skis after cheating the widowmaker.
Nietzsche said it best: “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.”

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is near and dear to my heart. (Pun intended)
I had my acute MI event in November 2013: blockages 100%, 99%, and 80%.
No prior history of hypertension, high cholesterol, or smoking, but really bad genes (both grandfathers and my father) and LOTS and LOTS of STRESS.
The wonderful folks at Medical Center of the Rockies scrambled the cath lab in 30 minutes, and placed drug eluting stents in the first two.
As they rolled me out of surgery, my first words were, "when will I be able to ski?" My doc told me, "let's not worry about that right now."
What he didn't tell me was that he told my wife that I had a 1 in 3 chance of making it through the day.
My blood pressure was so low that they would not administer any pain meds for the first day, an experience I would not like to revisit.
It was four days before I had the strength to stand, but today I am robust enough to climb Lookout Mountain, Deer Creek Canyon, and Vail Pass on my road bike.
I still stuggle with weight, but I am as healthy as a horse (OK, maybe one closer to the glue factory than the Derby). I have no clue what my ejection fraction is or what percentage of function I have in the circumflex, which was left alone at 80 blocked, but life is more meaningful and precious. It is easier to live in the present (easier, but still not easy).
More than once I have thought about initiating a gathering of heart attack survivors, because we really appreciate what so many take for granted.
The two most memorable days of skiing for me are Day 1 over 40 years ago and my first day on skis after cheating the widowmaker.
Nietzsche said it best: “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.”
Glad you're with us, in more ways than one.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well-timed bump on this thread as I needed to hear some positive stories. My mom has had a racing heart beat for awhile now and her Houston cardiologist was treating with just medication. She met with her new cardiologist in Steamboat recently who decided to order a scan which showed some blockage. He ordered an angiogram in Denver which was done on Wednesday and showed a 100% blockage in one artery and 70-80% in a second one so stents aren't an option. They will do double bypass surgery the day I get back from Chile. She was considered low risk given low cholesterol and blood pressure which is why the Houston doctor never looked further into cause of the racing heart. They believe the cause is from many years of high dosage NSAIDs for her rheumatoid arthritis.

My fears are less about the actual cardiac issues though and more around her infection risk which is extremely high. She is just finally clear of a life-threatening infection which started Christmas Day 2015 and ended up taking her artificial elbow and now her elbow is fused at 60* angle. Ugh.

For those of you that know me on FB please don't say anything about this there until you see me post. My mom still hasn't told her sister and it probably wouldn't be good for her to find out on FB.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
While I have not had a heart attack (thank God!) I have had a blockage and have had my aortal valve replaced with an artificial one in 2004. I didn't think I had been too held back by my disorder until I got the cure. What a difference! Last year I had a pacemaker hooked in to make sure my heart remembers to keep beating, and now I feel better than ever. It's even helped my skiing. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

TS
Main Street

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
Time for an update as we approach a new season.....

Had a "MUGA" nuclear scan a little while back & the results were very positive,..... EF is now sitting at circa 37% & climbing,..... More stamina is available & I'm starting to be able to hike up a green ski run not far from the back door,...... Still plenty of stops for "sightseeing" ;) ;) but it's a huge improvement for me from 8 months ago.

Looking forward to getting the planks on come late November. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps a celebratory new pair of skis are in order. :D

TS
Main Street

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
Perhaps a celebratory new pair of skis are in order. :D

I do live by the equation that explains how many sets of skis one needs:

N = N + 1

Where N is the number of ski sets you currently have...... ;)

Hehehehe,..... I have 11 sets now,.... & one set that I bought at only 6 days before the heart attack that never got to see snow...... I'm pretty sure that my "Minister for War & Finance" would not approve the expenditure on another new set just yet,...... At least not until I've actually skied on the new ones I already have !! :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do live by the equation that explains how many sets of skis one needs:

N = N + 1

Where N is the number of ski sets you currently have...... ;)

Hehehehe,..... I have 11 sets now,.... & one set that I bought at only 6 days before the heart attack that never got to see snow...... I'm pretty sure that my "Minister for War & Finance" would not approve the expenditure on another new set just yet,...... At least not until I've actually skied on the new ones I already have !! :D
After visiting Canada last winter, I realized why its easy to have a heart attack. Poutine is the devil!!

TS
Main Street

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
After visiting Canada last winter, I realized why its easy to have a heart attack. Poutine is the devil!!

I have a weakness for French Gruyere cheese marinated in Rye Whisky ,..... mixed with cheese curds & melted over the top of fries with gravy, it is a truly evil combination.....

Sponsor

Staff online