• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Heading out on an 8 day ski trip and probably can’t bring an iron and wax. I guess if bases get dry I’ll need to ask a local shop for a wax job, but I was wondering if I would get any more durability if I just gave the skis a light scrape after my pre-trip waxing, rather than fully scraping and brushing as per usual? Some performance will be lost in the ski, but just wondering if it add any longevity to the base?

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
If you are worried about the lack of wax. Maybe use a six roll on. I ski mine more than 8 days on a wax if I am no running on a lot of ice.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Some performance will be lost in the ski, but just wondering if it add any longevity to the base?

No. It takes away wax longevity.

Cold (meaning unmelted here) wax sticks to itself better than it sticks to ski bases. Therefore wax you want to keep will prefer to tear away with the wax you don't want instead of sticking to the base.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just started using Toko's Liquid Paraffin and it is working darn well...no mess and other than the time it takes to dry, much quicker and less messy than traditional methods. In an A/B comparison, it is holding up as well as said traditional methods. You will still want to brush bit no scraping needed. A more indepth review will be coming.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just started using Toko's Liquid Paraffin and it is workign darn well...no mess and other than the time it takes to dry, much quicker and less messy than traditional methods. In an A/B comparison, it is holding up as well as said traditional methods. You will still want to brush bit no scraping needed. I more indepth review will be coming.
You will want to follow the directions and use it in a well-ventilated area. ACKK AH AH COUGH!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Heading out on an 8 day ski trip and probably can’t bring an iron and wax. I guess if bases get dry I’ll need to ask a local shop for a wax job, but I was wondering if I would get any more durability if I just gave the skis a light scrape after my pre-trip waxing, rather than fully scraping and brushing as per usual? Some performance will be lost in the ski, but just wondering if it add any longevity to the base?

It can take a run or two to "brush" off the extra wax on top but that initial force to overcome the friction is going to be quite high but even if you scrape and brush a little it wont be too bad.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Wax stays on my bases for days. Just wax on the edges get burnt off.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you don't scrape, the snowpack will do it for you, sort of, but as @cantunamunch says it tends to rip the wax off. And then there is the problem with rockered skis not having the same firm even pressure contact with the snowpack.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Please, scrape and brush well, no matter how many days you have ahead with no waxing bench!
There are many waxes that you can rub on and cork or buff to get you through.
That said, maybe you might make a small investment with some Dominator Momentium paste waxes.
They work better that anything like that I have ever used.
Both the cold and warm types address the antistatic component that is overlooked with other types.
Here you go.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried skiing off wax this last winter in Niseko. I had done it once by accident in Oz and in my memory by mid morning it had all skied off. No access to a scraper or brush and had a storage wax. So I thought “let’s give this a go”. Lots did scrape off with skiing, but lots didn’t. On steeper pitches I moved. On long ski outs I feared coming to a dead stop.

Lesson learned, just scrape and brush!!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Scrape and prep as per usual. Change the wax you use to Hertal FC739, find it to be a good universal all temp wax that lasts (its what I use, because I don’t have the time to wax on demand, i just keep them wax ready to go regardless of temp). Second carry a small block beeswax and rub in/on once or twice a day once the Hertal shows wear (3rd to 5th day). You can use a rag/cork to rub in for a better prep and longer life on the beeswax, Remember it is very low temp so the friction works, second it is soft so depending on conditions a re-application may be required mid day.

Not prepping is going to slow you down noticeably. Might as well use glue.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
DE800A8F-1C5D-4E7C-A56C-06E9BEC25B93.png
5FBFB5F6-3217-4E72-9FAE-04449AFD0CF5.png
Definitely wax and scrape before you leave for your trip. I’ve been using these this year for my “Hotel ski tuning” jobs and they have been great. I check my skis daily for edge nicks and burrs and fix with a ceramic/hard stone and brush any excess wax.
After that I hit the bases with this wax in seconds and then a quick light brush or cork(provided on base of the stick version) 5 mins later and you’re done. No mess either.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
All our travel waxing since 2016 has been with - hard enough to stand up to polar vortices, fluoro enough to deal with lake effect moisture, 20 minutes to no stink even in cold AirBnBs. Still have 4 cans left :D
img_20191224_102723-jpg.88193

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I wax with a mid to cooler temp range like LF5 or Holmenkol red and just apply this every day when on ski vacation. My bases are fast and I still have lots of wax in the base at vacation end.

images.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All our travel waxing since 2016 has been with - hard enough to stand up to polar vortices, fluoro enough to deal with lake effect moisture, 20 minutes to no stink even in cold AirBnBs. Still have 4 cans left :D
img_20191224_102723-jpg.88193
Pffft
1582301434127.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Drop them off for a wax at the mountain shop on day 4. Leave them overnight and you dont have to carry them back to the car!

TS
BClipped

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all - really great tips. Feels like I got the PugSki A-Team contributing here and I really appreciate it.

I decided in the end to re-organise and bring an iron. Some compromises to do that, so I’m going to look at these suggested alternatives for my next trip, but for now sticking to tried-and-tested (if a bit bulky ;)

Amusing side story - my wife always rents gear on these trips and for the boards she got this time the edges were in rough shape. I took them back to the shop tonight to get edges done again, and the guy there ran his thumbnail along the edges beneath the binding and said it’s only underfoot that edges matter. We debated for a bit, and he agreed to tune the skis, but I don’t think I convinced him... !

Sponsor

Staff online