• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So sorry for your loss, Monique. Sounds like this was completely unexpected.

Yes. Sorry for the derail. It was just a special day yesterday.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Okay, now, people, please post some happy "how we met" stories. I really apologize for the derail and need you to post them!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I'll give it a shot: it's a little long and convoluted, and it didn't start with skiing.
My boyfriend (Eddie to his friends, Ed to me) first met and dated in college in 1982. We broke up before we graduated. Then we both ended up living in San Francisco and dated there. Then we did not marry each other. We both did get married though. His marriage lasted longer than mine. We reconnected on Facebook just as his marriage was coming to an end. I was doing lots of cycling and had just posted about riding Levi's Gran Fondo, and he contacted me saying he wanted to train for long rides like that. Most of our first year together we went for long rides in Sonoma County every time we saw each other. He ended up riding Levi's 3 years in a row.
It turned out that he also loved skiing, so we do that together as often as we can. Unfortunately, he loves a different mountain, but I have compromised and have a pass at his mountain too. Last week (his kids' ski week), I skied with Ed, his ex-wife, and their son. Love is complicated.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I skied with Ed, his ex-wife, and their son. Love is complicated.

That's great. Too many times people can't pull that off, and it's just a shame. (Of course, some exes are just nuts, but often they just weren't the right fit, or had gone in different directions.)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's great. Too many times people can't pull that off, and it's just a shame. (Of course, some exes are just nuts, but often they just weren't the right fit, or had gone in different directions.)
Usually it's the tension between the two that I dislike, but they've been divorced long enough now that it's no longer an issue (usually).

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
So I went skiing with a buddy during a Christmas break, a big group from school and I knew most of them. One of the girls (not the blond) was asking about me evidently and we formally met after skiing in the Barroom. That was back in 1977 and we're still going strong, she also skis better than most men so I've got a chair mate for life.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Being private about this area of my life I wish that I had a cool story about how my dating life and current spouse involved a love for the outdoors and skiing. Mine is the opposite.

My wife was born and mostly raised in NYC. When we started dating I made it clear that I love skiing. She made it clear that she hated winter and snow. Despite this she eventually went with me on a weekend to Mt. Snow. Not sure what was colder: the temps or the night in the hotel room. She tried skiing one more time at Camelback. Throughout the 13 years we've been married she has never skied again.

Her support for my passion is like my love for her. Complete. Now our 2 daughters ski. I ski 20-30 days a year and my kids around 20-25. She never says no to new equipment, never asks how much the trips cost, always watches the videos of her daughter on the race course or the little one bombing around. She even lets us put church on hold during the winter. She told a friends that she would rather get on a plane and travel with us to CO, UT than drive 4-5 hours to ski VT (when we lived in NYC) or northern MN since we moved from the Big Apple to the Minnie Apple. She patiently sits in the condo or at home and reads her books while I take the girls out. Never complains and always listens to the girls tell their stories.

We leave tomorrow for 4 days of skiing at Breck. I'll take the girls out skiing all day and my wife will read and walk around town. When we get back she'll flash that big Irish smile, give the girls a hug, and listen to each of them tell stories about their day on the slopes.......then she'll show me everything she bought while "walking" around town.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Being private about this area of my life I wish that I had a cool story about how my dating life and current spouse involved a love for the outdoors and skiing. Mine is the opposite.

My wife was born and mostly raised in NYC. When we started dating I made it clear that I love skiing. She made it clear that she hated winter and snow. Despite this she eventually went with me on a weekend to Mt. Snow. Not sure what was colder: the temps or the night in the hotel room. She tried skiing one more time at Camelback. Throughout the 13 years we've been married she has never skied again.

Her support for my passion is like my love for her. Complete. Now our 2 daughters ski. I ski 20-30 days a year and my kids around 20-25. She never says no to new equipment, never asks how much the trips cost, always watches the videos of her daughter on the race course or the little one bombing around. She even lets us put church on hold during the winter. She told a friends that she would rather get on a plane and travel with us to CO, UT than drive 4-5 hours to ski VT (when we lived in NYC) or northern MN since we moved from the Big Apple to the Minnie Apple. She patiently sits in the condo or at home and reads her books while I take the girls out. Never complains and always listens to the girls tell their stories.

We leave tomorrow for 4 days of skiing at Breck. I'll take the girls out skiing all day and my wife will read and walk around town. When we get back she'll flash that big Irish smile, give the girls a hug, and listen to each of them tell stories about their day on the slopes.......then she'll show me everything she bought while "walking" around town.

That's love.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier

What a GREAT story! I guess I like it so much b/c it is so similar to mine. My wife doesn't ski, is not athletic at all and has no desire to "perspire". But boy does she LOVE how much my son and I LOVE to ski. She supports us with every fiber of her body and is always encouraging us to get out there and get after it (unless it's a blizzard and then she's PISSED as hell at me for "risking our son's life driving in a blizzard just to go skiing... couldn't you just wait to go tomorrow????"). She is supportive and doesn't bust my chops (too much) when I get new gear. In fact, she's a big believer in buying the best and getting the most enjoyment out of our sport as we can. My life would have been very different (and not nearly as rich (spiritually and emotionally) if I hadn't met her and I'm grateful every day that she said the words "I do". On another note, my 13 year old is my true blue ski buddy and I'll be super sad when he goes off to college as I'll be losing my ski pal and "partner in crime". Thankfully we have 5 more ski seasons before I have to deal with that inevitability.

TS
Crudmaster

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
My husband, Eric, died Friday Feb 16. It's still inconceivable. I think this belongs under love stories.

Thank you for this story, Monique.

Of course it DOES belong in "skiing love stories". We can't help but care about you and Eric, but more than that, lot of us have a vague dread about losing a partner some day, and we benefit through being able to give our emotions some practice and preparation as we read your story.

And you're a really good writer, too! Including your signature text.

And thanks, too, to Luliski ane Wolfski for getting us back to the kind of stories we came for. It's hard to know when it's OK to break from the spell of a more serious story. I think it was OK, and it looks to me like Monique responded to let us know that it's OK to rejoin the love festivities.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be super sad when he goes off to college as I'll be losing my ski pal and "partner in crime".
That's how it is/was with me and my daughter. I love skiing with her, and we've had so much fun skiing together over the years. She's now in her third year of college, and she went across the country! But we ski together every winter and spring break; and this past winter break she introduced her boyfriend (from Florida) to skiing by inviting him to come to Tahoe with us over winter break. He's crazy about it now, too. In fact, she just told me he wants to come to Tahoe with her for spring break, so they're looking like another skiing love story.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
I didn’t meet my wife on the slopes, but we took ski trips together early in our relationship (we started skiing in college), and I loved how competitive she was and how hard she tried to keep up (I had skied a lot more than her growing up).

In the 20 years we’ve been together (wow!), skiing has been a constant part of our life. A couple of memories:

- I can remember a couple of early morning departures for 5 hour drives to the mountains. We would load the car the night before, and would leave at 3am, with me driving and her sleeping most of the ride. A few times we would be driving through fresh snow as dawn broke, and I have vivid memories of how beautiful everything looked: the white trees laden with snow, the mountains at dawn, and my wife sleeping next to me in the car. I’ll remember one particular morning until the day I die.

- My wife is cautious by nature, and tends to panic in stressful situations. At least once a season as long as we’ve been skiing together, I will take her someplace really tough where she’ll fall, get tired, and melt down at me (calling me all kinds of names). Could be a really long bump run, could be tight trees, could be a tight chute, could be a line that has a mandatory drop over rocks. I think it’s cute, let her indulge her frustration and tantrum, we get through it, take a break, and an hour later she’s laughing about it and wants to try the line again. Domestic tranquillity at its best...

- Now that we have kids, watching them learn how to ski and taking family ski trips is a blast. The cost is astronomical, but watching our 3 y/o’s face on the bunny slope or our 7 y/o skiing blues and blacks is really fantastic. Really a great family sport.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So there I was at Telluride..t'was a cold day..but sunshine of course.. I was killing it like I usually do and I'd had a great morning. I stumbled into the pub at the bottom of the Oak St. lift, not looking my best of course..trying to figure out what to eat. And there she was..a big beautiful picture of mac and cheese with bacon. I can't tell you how my heart soared at seeing this! And she was even better in person. So warm and buttery... Truly love at first sight..and I have skiing at Telluride to thank for this. Kismet.. :hug:
550_R152266.jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So there I was at Telluride..t'was a cold day..but sunshine of course.. I was killing it like I usually do and I'd had a great morning. I stumbled into the pub at the bottom of the Oak St. lift, not looking my best of course..trying to figure out what to eat. And there she was..a big beautiful picture of mac and cheese with bacon. I can't tell you how my heart soared at seeing this! And she was even better in person. So warm and buttery... Truly love at first sight..and I have skiing at Telluride to thank for this. Kismet.. :hug:
550_R152266.jpg

crap, now I'm hungry

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I met my wife in the summer in a bar in DC. On our first date she told me she had been skiing all her life but stopped when she moved to DC a few years previous. I had just discovered the sport the winter before and didnt know anyone who skied much and was so excited to meet another skier that I said we would have to go together in the winter time. Somehow it worked out.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid