• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My skiing love story:

I am fanatical about skiing. My husband likes skiing, but isn't rabid about it. But - my husband loves me so much that we have a condo in the mountains just so that we (I) can ski as much as possible. That's a lot of love.

He also hasn't divorced me any of the many times a new pair of skis, jacket, ski pants, helmet, etc followed me home.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Word of Caution: I saw this very thing today, skiing toward me at Timberline. Said "huh, that's what Doug mentioned". As the skier got closer, I saw that the wisps of hair were blowing gently up against his full beard.

:roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Word of Caution: I saw this very thing today, skiing toward me at Timberline. Said "huh, that's what Doug mentioned". As the skier got closer, I saw that the wisps of hair were blowing gently up against his full beard.
She had the cutest adam's apple.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snotsicles
2738f6904141f11e6f150533cd39de67.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Reading these stories, am envious. I have no ski love story wahhhhhh.
But saw two fine women on streets of Stateline after skiing today would so like to meet. Maybe I need to slip outside, walk on down the street, be friendly, and think lucky.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Reading these stories, am envious. I have no ski love story wahhhhhh.
But saw two fine single women on streets of Stateline after skiing today would so like to meet. Maybe I need to slip outside, walk on down the street, be friendly, and think lucky.

HooDooThere

I customized it myself.
Skier
I was supposed to meet my wife on a college trip to Steamboat.

My wife and I attended the same large university with a bovine mascot for 4 years but didn't meet. We were on the same ski club trip to Steamboat, however.

Never met my wife on campus either, even though she lived, as it turned out, at the same small apartment complex as a good friend of mine I'd known since high school.

No, it was a study abroad trip to Germany where we met and have been together ever since.

I told her this story about how one year, I was skiing in Steamboat and there was a rumor of a girl who got lost and tried to start a fire using money. And a guy who was rumored to have fallen off of a lift while on acid. (Money burning lady was ours, I think acid guy was a Hawkeye, maybe) It was then we realized we were on the same trip.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I scooted up to join a very good looking lady on a chair in Colorado. Both of us working in Denver. Both with homes in New Hampshire. Both attended Lake Erie College in NE Ohio. I went to the kindergarten there, she attended years later as a student because she could board her horse there. The horses were boarded across the street from where I grew up. I always dreamed I'd grow up and date one of those college girls. Plus, she could ski any chute at A-Basin.

That chair lift ride worked out well. Another time I scooted up to join a single on the chair with gorgeous flowing hair, only to also find a full beard went with it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have this image in my head now...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My skiing love story:

I am fanatical about skiing. My husband likes skiing, but isn't rabid about it. But - my husband loves me so much that we have a condo in the mountains just so that we (I) can ski as much as possible. That's a lot of love.

He also hasn't divorced me any of the many times a new pair of skis, jacket, ski pants, helmet, etc followed me home.

This is us too, although he doesn't rent a condo for me/us, at least not yet :). Condo aside, I've many a new pair of skis, jacket, ski pants, helmet, goggles and god knows what else following me home. He now just see the box and unless it's a ski box which is obvious, he'll go now what'd you buy. How we met was interesting. We both worked for the same company but didn't know each other existed. I went to our office christmas party and and sat down at an open table. This woman Laura sat down next to me. Laura and I became friends and when I went over her house for dinner one night Michael was there and we hit it off instantly. When I first met Michael I'd just moved back from California and was coming off 8 years of hard core snowboarding. By this point I'd transitioned to tiny ski blades. He took me skiing for my first time in the northeast. He remembers my meltdown clearly because I wasn't a fan of the ice that lay before me. I'm supposed to ski down THAT..... My he was a patient sole. What a pair we were, him with his 205cm straight skis and me with the little 94cmm ski blades. Over the years his skis got shorter and mine got longer and going on 8 years later we're still together. We are still friends with Laura who's since moved back to California. The 3 of us hang out together often. She lived in London for a bit and we visited her there. We hang with her here whenever she's in town. In fact we're having dinner the tuesday after presidents weekend.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
She stole my heart when she bought us a Vermont ski house. She said I was first guy she had dated that could actually ski. Very few women would chose to ski more days then I get in. She normally beats my number. Yes I married this keeper 21 years ago.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
20 years ago, a work colleague of mine rented a house in Tahoe for a group of friends. I joined the group as did one of his college friends. She was beautiful and smart and fun. She also liked steeps and bumps. We were married three years later and she's still all of those things. We both lived in NYC at the time but it took a ski trip to Tahoe for us to meet. (My wife used to ask me what would have happened if she didn't ski.)

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Wow. Those are some incredible stories. I have to be honest and say that sometimes I question whether or not I really made the right choice for marriage. I love my wife but she doesn't ski. HOWEVER, she is cool with me skiing whenever I want (which before I tore my calf on our AK vacation trip last week, was pretty damned often), so I guess that makes up for it!

Bill

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
I moved to a cold weather city for work after college. I had never skied but some of the single guys at work belonged to a ski club.
I joined the ski club to learn how to ski and for their social gatherings. I met the love of my life at one of those social gatherings in March of 1979. We were married in 1982.
My lady is on the left in my avatar picture. The young lady (30 is young right) on the right is our daughter. All of us work as instructors at our local area. We have a son who lives in another city, not an instructor, who is a skier and boarder. So, we've passed down our love of the sport to our children.
And our daughter is continuing the tradition, she is marrying a snow board instructor.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of great posts in this thread!

I had known my future wife Kathy for a couple of months and been on two or three dates with her, but then we went on a singles-group ski trip over President's Weekend in Feb 1979. She was my carpool buddy on the three hour drive out and back and we saw a lot of each other over that weekend including a romantic walk beside a frozen waterfall (Blackwater Falls, WV). By the end of that weekend I was starting to think this is THE ONE. We married the next year and will celebrate 38th anniversary this June.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My husband, Eric, died Friday Feb 16. It's still inconceivable. I think this belongs under love stories.

Yesterday, I pulled myself together and dragged myself to the base of the Quicksilver. With every step, I wasn't sure I could do it, but I did. I met up with our lesson group, all of whom loved skiing with him. There were many hugs, both from our group and from everyone who saw me. Lesson club is a small world.

I asked Matt, our instructor, what Eric would most like to ski. He said without a doubt it would be Eagle's Nest, the most direct line from the ski patrol hut at the top of Horseshoe Bowl. Eric had wanted to ski that line all day the previous Friday. (I'd been on the road that day.)

It was bitterly cold and windy yesterday. Even for Breckenridge. A number of people were late, so we lapped 6 chair waiting for them. I took a run down Joker Rolls. It's the tree side of Joker. It's always full of windblown, and the pillows intimidate most people, so they stay pretty nice. Eric always skied them with aplomb. I skied down, and one of our friends commented on how well I'd skied it. While I'd been skiing it, I said out loud, "C'mon, Eric, help me out." I guess he did.

So when we finally got the crew assembled, Matt recommended taking Imperial up and skiing down the ridge line to Horseshoe. It would be a lot faster than taking the T-Bar - i.e., we'd spend less time in the cold. At least one group member wasn't so excited to ride up to 12.8k feet in the wind, but she went with it. The ridge line was an intermittent white out. I skied on the right side of it, realizing that with a moment's inattention, I'd fall down the side into Imperial Bowl. But I couldn't really see well enough to risk changing my line. Then I hit some unseen bumps and went down. Oh well.

The first run of Eagle's Nest was perfect windblown chalk - hero snow and no bumps. After one run, despite the cold, we were ready to do it again. So we did. The jokes about stopping at 10:30 to have bloody marys fell away. A good run trumps all.

On the second ride up T-Bar, I neglected to pull my mask up all the way, and my cheek turned white. We realized it was time to head in for a bit. As we were skiing down, I asked Matt about another line that people had been taking on the previous run. Matt said it was called Humbug. I decided to ski that. I really did feel like I was channeling Eric, skiing directly and aggressively. A cloud of snow surrounded me for a few moments and I couldn't see, but I decided to keep skiing through it. Matt and another friend commented on how surprised they were that I'd just kept going rather than stopping. Again, I'd been channeling Eric.

Unfortunately, that third run started with my cheek turning white on the T-Bar ride, so we had to head in. During lunch, the wind got so bad that they shut down most of the lifts, even E chair, which I've only seen closed once before. We rode C Chair and skied the Doors. But that's another story, and while Eric would ski the Doors if everyone else was, he never said, "Oh, wow, let's ski the Doors!" Bowls were his favorite. I remember the first time he skied Horseshoe in three turns - which is crazy - and was so excited to tell me about it. Skiing was only one of his many interests - but man, that man could ski.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
So sorry for your loss, Monique. Sounds like this was completely unexpected.

Sponsor