• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I moved to Alberta a few years ago and randomly (ahem...online) met this guy who was a Colorado transplant. I didn't think it was going to be serious - just some fun dates and then we would go our separate ways. About a month into our dates, he said it was time to ski. I said "what? what do you mean ski?" It was January in Alberta, and it was cold. And he answered "well, if you want to date me, and if we're going to introduce you to my kids, you need to learn to ski." I kind of ignored him and thought the whole thing would just go away.

Well, it was a beautiful sunny Saturday in late January, and I was hanging out with him, and he said "ok, today's the day." "For what?" "Today is the day you're going skiing." I begged, I pleaded, I even told him that it was too cold, that we would go next weekend. He just said nope and picked up my snowpants and told me to take my jacket and gloves. We got in the car and drove to Snow Valley in Edmonton - a tiny little bump in town. On Saturdays, for the last two hours, they have a deal: $10 for the lift ticket, and $10 to rent skis, helmet, poles and boots. He walked up and paid $20 for my rental and lift ticket. I walked into the rental shop and got some really old rear entry boots, and very short rental skis. I was very excited about the helmet. We walked outside he showed me how to click in and pointed to the magic carpet. "There are two things you need to know: french fries to speed up and pizza to slow down." That's it. And I walked over to the magic carpet on the bunny hill. I realized he wasn't wearing skis, and I asked "Ummm...aren't you going to get some skis?" and he laughed and told me there was no need for that today. And so I got on the magic carpet, and he walked up the bunny hill beside me. And then we got to the top. And the bunny hill looked so big! My knees were knocking. And he said "Ok - go ahead. Rememebr: french fries to speed up and pizza to slow down." And I slowly pizza'd the entire way down the bunny slope...and it was AMAZING!!! And I quickly went up the magic carpet again - this time going down with a bit less pizza. Well, needless to say, I spent the entire two hours lapping the bunny hill, and it was amazing!

I hadn't had so much fun in a long time - I was hooked, both on the guy and the sport. This all eventually turned into some beginner lessons at Lake Louise, more easy greens and blue at Snow Valley with SO and his kids, and then trips to the mountains. And we're still together - and our whole famliy skis together all winter, loving every minute of it.

If I hadn't taken a chance on some random guy forcing me to go barreling down a hill on two sticks...I wouldn't have so many people (and mountains) that I love today.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I met Ted in 2006, about a year after I moved to San Francisco. My friend from college, KJ, was organizing a winter ski house rental for the season up in Tahoe. He was recruiting members - no total strangers - everyone had to know at least one person in the house. We met for a happy hour meet & greet in November just before the season started, and Ted was there. KJ's girlfriend (now wife) was Ted's former roommate. So Ted was in the ski house share.

But he never went up during the season. At least not when I was there. He was a restaurant chef at that and his schedule changed right before the season where his days off Sun/Mon or Mon/Tue. And he had a girlfriend at that time. And I was dating around. The restaurant he worked at was literally around the corner from my apartment, so I would see him somewhat frequently, maybe monthly, since I also ate there a lot. One night I was there with my brother and Ted came by with a free appetizer and my brother told me he thought Ted had a crush on me.

Fast forward to 2010, and I'm having dinner at the restaurant with a girlfriend and her son, and Ted came by and sat with us for a bit and gave us a free dessert. And asked for my number again. We moved in together in 2011 and eloped in Hawaii in 2015.

So it may not exactly be a true ski love story, but we met because of a ski house. Also, Ted was a snowboarder when we met, and I converted him to skiing about five years ago.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I met Ted in 2006, about a year after I moved to San Francisco. My friend from college, KJ, was organizing a winter ski house rental for the season up in Tahoe. He was recruiting members - no total strangers - everyone had to know at least one person in the house. We met for a happy hour meet & greet in November just before the season started, and Ted was there. KJ's girlfriend (now wife) was Ted's former roommate. So Ted was in the ski house share.

But he never went up during the season. At least not when I was there. He was a restaurant chef at that and his schedule changed right before the season where his days off Sun/Mon or Mon/Tue. And he had a girlfriend at that time. And I was dating around. The restaurant he worked at was literally around the corner from my apartment, so I would see him somewhat frequently, maybe monthly, since I also ate there a lot. One night I was there with my brother and Ted came by with a free appetizer and my brother told me he thought Ted had a crush on me.

Fast forward to 2010, and I'm having dinner at the restaurant with a girlfriend and her son, and Ted came by and sat with us for a bit and gave us a free dessert. And asked for my number again. We moved in together in 2011 and eloped in Hawaii in 2015.

So it may not exactly be a true ski love story, but we met because of a ski house. Also, Ted was a snowboarder when we met, and I converted him to skiing about five years ago.
That is "When Harry Met Sally-esque". He was a snowboarder...see, this is why we let women make us better. ;)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
10 years ago, I was a college student looking for a job to pay rent. I was more interested in working in a ski shop to pay for my expensive habits, rather than a typical summer internship that would provide me with long term career experience. I found my match, a shop with skis, snowboards, hockey and bikes...you could say it was meant to be.

The first winter working there, breaks in my class schedule matched up with my manager’s days off. Thursday’s we’d hit the local bump with enough time for me to get back to class in the late afternoon. I swear it snowed every single Wednesday night that year, leaving us with untracked gloriness each Thursday morning. Best of all, he could keep up.

Although our relationshop status didn’t align for a number of years, 8 years after those Thursday rendezvous’s we got hitched, with a lifetime of powder days ahead of us.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After my divorce last year, I was determined to remain single for at LEAST two years. Then, while standing at the curb at Snowbasin greeting guests, this ski instructor came up and struck up a conversation with me. He said, "do you ski as good as you look? Because if you do, we need to make some turns!" (HAH, NOT REALLY! I JUST LOVE TELLING IT THAT WAY!") @utahskier
That's him on the Snowbasin trail map. He gets so embarrassed when I show people this picture:
snow-report-bg.jpg

Actually, he was so warm and genuine and friendly. I told him I was skiing the torchlight parade that night and was terrified. He promised me he'd take care of me and get me down the hill. He DID! He skied behind me the entire time with his headlamp, and I giggled the entire time. Apparently, that giggle melted his heart. We talked on the phone for a couple weeks (he likes to TALK on the phone, hates texting!) a lot. I finally asked him if we were ever going to go to dinner or something. He wanted to go to sushi. Score! The man eats sushi, rides horses, skis, and bikes (all things I'm passionate about.)

I told him I wanted to be single for two years, and that he was messing up my "plan". He told me he had all the patience in the world.

We've sure had a fun year! And yes, the man can SKI, and yes, he coaches me on occasion, and yes, we argue at times when he does, but we don't let it bother us much. He'll be testing skis with us again next week--he tests for the shop he works at.

Here we are at Grand Targhee two weeks ago, 1 year later:
26904330_10215535573288788_7876943570857491654_n.jpg

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree. Have you noticed the 'I'm a girl' whisps of hair that the fairer sex sports these days? You know, those lockets of hair that frame the face from under the helmet and goggles.

eastcoastgoggles.jpg
Right, and you know @SkiNurse with her adorable pigtails was the trendsetter for that one ... hmm ... could @Doug Briggs have a thing for @SkiNurse;)
:beercheer:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
There used to be an on-line dating site called something like ski singles. Being winter time I thought it was a good idea to go on first dates while skiing as it would be a shared past time and there were chair lift rides to chat. A woman reached out to me who had a nice profile and pictures, said she loved to ski, so we agreed to a day trip to a local mountain. It was a beautiful winter day with sun, a few inches of fresh snow, no wind and maybe 30*F at the base.

We get her rental gear (should have been a warning), get booted up and hop on the summit lift. The ride up was pleasant conversation in the sun shine. We approach the summit and she says "wow that ramp is steep!" She takes a tumble on the ramp and I just manage to ski around her. The lift stops, the summit liftie and I get her put back together and the lift starts again. I suggested a gentle green trail to boost her confidence and she skied 15 feet and falls over, which was pretty much how the ski day went despite some coaching and getting her into a lesson. She was up beat about being out on the slopes, but lacked the leg strength to snow plow, stem christy or parallel turn.

She was a nice person, but had confused her aspirations to be a "skier" with actually being a "skier." Being a person who understands what Popeye would say "I yam what I yam" I knew this wasn't a romantic connection. Fortune smiled on other ski dates with those who skied or snowboarded from bell to bell.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My ex used to ski at an intermediate level but stopped altogether at one point. She felt that my 10 - 15 days a season were excessive. By the time we divorced our marriage had been effectively over for years. I was immediately ready to meet and date women with similar tastes and passions.

Robin and I met online. One of her pics was shot standing on skis - a good sign. We started dating in late january but did not get to ski together until the following December. 6 years later we live together and ski together, xc together, bike together, hike together, got to concerts together.

I got lucky.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I knew Liz for about a year before we started dating. We met through and outdoors club, and really hit it off.

I was a skier, getting into summer mountain sports, while she was really into climbing and hiking and had an interest in skiing, but had maybe 10 days of skiing under her belt.

Still, she is a natural athlete, and seemed to pick it up pretty well.

We became good friends and went on bunch of hikes together.

Unfortunately, I hurt my knee the November after our meeting, and lost most of the season.

I was hiking again by mid-January, but needed to wait until March to ski.

I went to Kicking Horse on my first day back with Liz and a group of mutual friends. I was super impressed that she was tackling some of the double black chutes on only her 12th day at a resort (she had done some easy tours earlier in the winter). We had a great time. I asked her out, and she left the guy she was dating for me. Apparently he complained all day the one time they went skiing together…

Our first date was a weekend away to Kicking Horse. It was their closing day.

A bit late to start a skiing relationship,….

..but we spent the summer climbing mountains and skied hard the next winter. We have been dating for 3 years now, and spend both weekend days in the mountains.

Our Christmas gifts to each other have been ski trips: first to Skoki Lodge, then to Whistler, and then a Kootenay roundtrip.

Mountain activities have been a huge part of our relationship from the beginning, and skiing has been our sport of choice in the winter.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right, and you know @SkiNurse with her adorable pigtails was the trendsetter for that one ... hmm ... could @Doug Briggs have a thing for @SkiNurse;)
:beercheer:
Having been around the two of them together, I'm not so sure, but I think he could use a ski nurse....and mountain bike nurse, and.......

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Have you noticed the 'I'm a girl' whisps of hair that the fairer sex sports these days? You know, those lockets of hair that frame the face from under the helmet and goggles.
Word of Caution: I saw this very thing today, skiing toward me at Timberline. Said "huh, that's what Doug mentioned". As the skier got closer, I saw that the wisps of hair were blowing gently up against his full beard.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online