• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill Skiing light

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am a heavy skier (190lbs) but just ski without a light touch not due to my weight but is just the way I ski. Recently when skiing powder I have tried to "think light - ski light" and like the results. However for some reason when I do this it takes me down the fall line and I pick up to much speed to be comfortable.

Is there something that anyone can suggest to modify or correct this from happening?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
finish your turn, and the "lightly" enter the next.

Remember: "Angels fly because they take themselves lightly!"

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Suspect I am looking for the same thing Pete, but my thought is 'SMOOTH'. Perhaps I will be light in the next lifetime.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
finish your turn, and the "lightly" enter the next.

Remember: "Angels fly because they take themselves lightly!"

OK that is a little more specific than what I have been trying. I have a tendency to jamb my turns so that may work, thanks.

Suspect I am looking for the same thing Pete, but my thought is 'SMOOTH'. Perhaps I will be light in the next lifetime.

Yep, I ski/or follow a friend who is a very light skier and seems to float across the snow. Makes me sick to watch him.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am a heavy skier (190lbs) but just ski without a light touch not due to my weight but is just the way I ski. Recently when skiing powder I have tried to "think light - ski light" and like the results. However for some reason when I do this it takes me down the fall line and I pick up to much speed to be comfortable.

Is there something that anyone can suggest to modify or correct this from happening?

Not that I like to overcomplicate it, because your frame of mind is good, but you may need to think more deeply about what you mean by "light." Minimize the variations in the vertical force underfoot? Maybe that's it. You still need to tip'em and rip'em.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Chris V, are you saying use force/muscle but not (bear down weight/pressure) so stay light ?

Think of the difference between a competitive mogul skier really bashing the bumps, and a skier on the same run making more rounded turns and adjusting to the terrain. Now in other conditions the difference won't be so extreme, but there's still a choice as to style. Minimize the moments of extreme downward force on the skis, and minimize the moments of weightlessness. Yet still find ways to tip the feet and create appropriate edge angles throughout the turn cycle. Still use all of your muscles, but seek to flow with the mountain instead of fight it.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Another "thought" that I work on is "Active absorption".
The effort can not be seen from outside. but it shows up inside. mostly in my hip flexors ;-)

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So, I'm within 10 pounds of you. This season on my helitrip, I found that the ski was loading so much that it was shooting me across the hill and the ski felt like it was going to fold. It was also pretty interesting to try to find the center of the ski -- I was on a 188 BMX 115, and it felt like I needed a 198 as well as that the ski was mounted aft. I had to be very careful about creating too much edge angle -- that would result in a great deal of pressure in the shaping to finish of the turn where it was difficult to deal with.

So, the key was to slow everything down. The moves in deep snow do not need to be quick -- in fact, they need to be even more progressive than on hard(er) snow. Take your time, enjoy life, and see what develops.

Oh, and the role of dynamic range becomes pretty important. You have to move -- flex to absorb that pressure, extend in the initiation of the turn. Just do it with finesse.

Mike

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
So, I'm within 10 pounds of you. This season on my helitrip, I found that the ski was loading so much that it was shooting me across the hill and the ski felt like it was going to fold. It was also pretty interesting to try to find the center of the ski -- I was on a 188 BMX 115, and it felt like I needed a 198 as well as that the ski was mounted aft. I had to be very careful about creating too much edge angle -- that would result in a great deal of pressure in the shaping to finish of the turn where it was difficult to deal with.

So, the key was to slow everything down. The moves in deep snow do not need to be quick -- in fact, they need to be even more progressive than on hard(er) snow. Take your time, enjoy life, and see what develops.

Oh, and the role of dynamic range becomes pretty important. You have to move -- flex to absorb that pressure, extend in the initiation of the turn. Just do it with finesse.

Mike

You beat me to it Mike. Whenever someone asks me the secret to skiing the pow, I tell them 2 words....SLOOOOOOOOW DOOOOOOOOOWN.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Think of the difference between a competitive mogul skier really bashing the bumps, and a skier on the same run making more rounded turns and adjusting to the terrain. Now in other conditions the difference won't be so extreme, but there's still a choice as to style. Minimize the moments of extreme downward force on the skis, and minimize the moments of weightlessness. Yet still find ways to tip the feet and create appropriate edge angles throughout the turn cycle. Still use all of your muscles, but seek to flow with the mountain instead of fight it.

Minimizing should work for me - will try next time out.

Mike

Finesse has never been a strong point but get your point.

Sponsor

Staff online