• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skiing a few days in the Alps this Summer: Suggestions

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi everyone,

I know a few things about this Summer:
1) we are visiting my wife's family in France (Lyon) in mid-late July/early August.
2) I might want to get one or a few days of skiing while visiting. Hopefully new places. They have to have a lift.

Any suggestions? I've done all the ones that are generally still open in late August. As I will be a bit earlier, they might be some other skiing options still running?

I believe these were the only 7 that were still open in the previous late August visits:

France: Tignes and LesDeuxAlpes in 2010.
Switzerland: Zermatt and Saas Fee in 2010 & 2015.
Italy: Passeo del Stelvio in 2010.
Austria: Molltaler (2015) and Hintertux (2010 & 2015).

Other summer skiing (outdoors on snow) options:

Val d'Isère closes in July? Kaprun? Stubei? These are normally not open late into the summer, but not sure. Information is limited when you aren't dealing with the major summer ski areas.

I know there are a 3-4(?) summer skiing glaciers in Norway.

I've also been to Mt. Hood, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia last summer. There is South Africa/Lesotho that I might go check out at one time.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In July/August, your options in the Alps are limited:

Zermatt (Switzerland)
Hintertuxer Glacier (Austria)
Passo dello Stelvio (Italy)

All other glacier ski areas are closed between roughly end of May and mid-late September. According to the information I can find anyway. And I've looked at all glacier areas.

TS
M

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
In July/August, your options in the Alps are limited:

Zermatt (Switzerland)
Hintertuxer Glacier (Austria)
Passo dello Stelvio (Italy)

All other glacier ski areas are closed between roughly end of May and mid-late September. According to the information I can find anyway. And I've looked at all glacier areas.

And the ones I've mentioned and skied above (Tignes, DeuxAlpes, Molltaler).
Here are the only extra areas open in July/August that I found:
Val d'Isère closed on July 12th.
Kaprun closed on July 21st.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
According to the resort's own information, all French glaciers are closed in the summer, most Austrian areas too.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tux. But it's about a full day's drive from Lyon. Personally I'd just go up into the Alps and enjoy summer (Ecrins, Vanoise etc)

TS
M

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
According to the resort's own information, all French glaciers are closed in the summer, most Austrian areas too.

Nope, that isn't correct. The following are open for July and August. Tignes closes early August I believe.

France: Tignes and LesDeuxAlpes.
Switzerland: Zermatt and Saas Fee.
Italy: Passeo del Stelvio.
Austria: Molltaler and Hintertux.

Plus Kaprun and Val d'Isère up until mid-July (see dates posted above).

Tux. But it's about a full day's drive from Lyon. Personally I'd just go up into the Alps and enjoy summer (Ecrins, Vanoise etc)

Well, I would love to get some of my July turns while I'm already near the Alps.

I wouldn't drive to Tux from Lyon (actually 30km east from Lyon) and I wouldn't do a simple trip just for one day of skiing. I would combine it with something else.

I've been to Lyon and surrounding areas on 7 previous trips for approximately 8 months in the past 27 years. My wife lived in that corner of France (Lyon to the Hautes-Alpes) for 25 years.

We are suppose to see family and friends from Lyon and Nice with a few stops along the way. We also discussed going to the Dolomites which would be new for all of us (for yourselves, but you don't make to use all your vacation and paying $$$ for 4 plane tickets and just seeing family).

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope, that isn't correct. The following are open for July and August. Tignes closes early August I believe.

France: Tignes and LesDeuxAlpes.
Switzerland: Zermatt and Saas Fee.
Italy: Passeo del Stelvio.
Austria: Molltaler and Hintertux.

Plus Kaprun and Val d'Isère up until mid-July (see dates posted above).

Well, I would love to get some of my July turns while I'm already near the Alps.

I wouldn't drive to Tux from Lyon (actually 30km east from Lyon) and I wouldn't do a simple trip just for one day of skiing. I would combine it with something else.

I've been to Lyon and surrounding areas on 7 previous trips for approximately 8 months in the past 27 years. My wife lived in that corner of France (Lyon to the Hautes-Alpes) for 25 years.

We are suppose to see family and friends from Lyon and Nice with a few stops along the way. We also discussed going to the Dolomites which would be new for all of us (for yourselves, but you don't make to use all your vacation and paying $$$ for 4 plane tickets and just seeing family).
Nice!
Had a half a day and a night in Lyon this year on a long way to Verbier from Paris.
IMG_5892.JPG
I think that's the Rhône. Or is it the Saône? Geez, you think you couldn't possibly forget at the time.

IMG_5893.JPG
Church at the top of the long hill. Sunday.

IMG_5889.JPG
Air bnb apt. Fifth floor walkup!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January