• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 10.40.50 AM.png
Longtime sponsor @SkiEssentials is having a sale on two under-the-radar skis, the Blizzard Brahma SP and Nordica NRGy 85 R. These skis will prove difficult to research, because they are not “in line” skis, which means they are not in the catalogs, in regular product mixes, or on a ski shop's wall. But leave it to SkiEssentials, which has a knack for finding diamonds in the rough.

Why do these skis exist? Well, a growing segment of skiers own boots but not skis; when they travel, they bring their boots and rent skis. These skiers don't want a typical “rental ski" but neither do they want to pay the premium for a demo ski -- which is more of a sales tool than a rental anyway, and this customer doesn't want to buy skis. So, cousins Blizzard and Nordica took two of their popular all-mountain skis and turned them into high-performance rental skis for people who don’t want to look like they are on rental skis. If you have been out of the sport for a while and are just getting back in, or if you are looking for a transition ski for a tweenager, or if (a lot of other things), either of these skis is a great option that won't break the bank.

First, the Brahma SP. A staple in Blizzard's line for a while, the Brahma has a name that Blizzard knew it could capitalize on. When we saw the SP last year, we immediately noticed that although it looked like the regular Brahma, there were differences in shape, weight, and profile. It has a bit more sidecut than the regular Brahma, the metal was removed to lighten it up, and the top design was shorter and more abrupt -- all changes that we heard were going to happen on the 2018 Brahma CA. Hmmmmm. Was this ski a look into the future of the Brahma? Yep.

Nordica's NRGy 85 R is a completely different ski than the Brahma, but that's not a bad thing. For some reason this collection just never took off. The roots of this ski go back to the El Capo and Vagabond, two One Oh Somethings that defined the segment at the time. I recall telling Nordica's then product manager, “If you can bring this shape down under 100mm, you will have a winner.” He just smiled, and I knew the NRGys were on their way. A few years later, the NRGy 85 was the last addition to the collection, but it was too little too late. The NRGy's fate was sealed with the success of the Enforcer and its spawn, the Navigator. But don’t fret: even though this is a discontinued model, it still has some awesome attributes, especially for someone who likes to drive the tips.
  • Why choose the Brahma SP? The Brahma is a bit more powerful, and more precise. Lay it over and it will come around and carve a beautiful turn. A great option for firmer conditions.
  • Why choose the NRGy 85 R? This is a ski that says, “Relax, I got this.” With the NRGy’s gradual tip rise and taper in the tail, it does not demand your attention all the time. Whatever you want to do, the 85 R will do it with surprising ease.
Closing: Yes, this is an advertisement for @SkiEssentials; however, these skis, which come with bindings, are a great way to save a boatload of bucks over their 2017-18 counterparts. It is hard to argue with either deal. Spend what you save on boots or feel free to donate back to the site ;).

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I have two sons. The older one has been out of skiing for 10+ years, but now wants to get back into it. My younger one wants to transition from snowboarding back to skiing (thank you God). Both will probably ski 7 days max this season. These skis are a perfect solution for both of them.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Great comparison @Philpug !

These really are a fantastic value. Both skis kind of fly under the radar. The Brahma SP is starting to catch on, but even I didn't realize how much value there is in that NRGY 85 R until it popped up as a contender for Deal of the Week this week.

Thanks again for sharing, Phil!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

Has anyone skied the 2017 Nordica NRGY 85 ( not necessarily the R, could be the non R ) in the North East?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there when I do a google search, except this one, and it's not clear if @Philpug actually skied the NRGY 85 or not. The few other reviews on the web are all over the place in terms of positioning the ski; some say it's a good ski for intermediates, others say all mountain do anything ski but shy away from ability level. Others say it's a woman's ski? A lot of these reviews seem to be judging the ski on the waist width ( 85 ), or the tail rocker being geared toward certain skiers types that might skid their turns ??, and not on objective skiing tests.

Me: 5'11'' 175lbs. Being a modest person, I hate to rate myself, but I guess it's necessary for this discussion. I get comments from ski friends like: strong skier, the E word has even been used, but really... let's just say I do alright. Anyway, I like to ski any and every terrain; from carving groomers, to bumps, to steep tight chutes, woods and off piste, to big mountain pow, I even use to race some a few years back. My current skis are: Kastle FX84 176, Kastle FX94 186, Kastle FX104 184, Atomic GS race skis 180, Fisher WC SL skis 165, Old ( 2009 ) Volkl Mantra 177, and a bunch of telemark skis I won't bore you with.

So, WHY AM I LOOKING at THESE SKIS?? My current rock ski is the old Mantras, they are still in good shape, but I just don't like skiing them much anymore ,esp in bumps; they're too planky. My current Kastles are all in great shape and I'd like to keep them that way for a few more years ( I know, I know, all skis are rock skis )

I've bee toying with the idea of finding something else for early and late season when the snow is thin and rocks reign. Something that will handle spring bumps well. Something I can take into the woods if it's a little thin and not worry about creaming my beloved Kastles. Being a little softer than the Kastles for spring bumps might not be a bad thing? The NRGY 85 intrigues me on paper, but the limited reviews confuse me. I have a line on a couple pair of these, but since I can't demo them I'm on the fence as to whether I'd be making the right choice or not.

Any and all wisdom welcome.

Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Scruffy, I have skied the NRGy85 and it is a damn fine ski at that but the review might have been on Epic therefore it is gone. I liked the NRGy's, I thiought with their gradual tip rise and taper in the tail they were great bump skis. In the collection, the 85 was late to arrive, they alreay had the 80 and the 90 then added the 85. IMHO, it was the best of the two ski, usually when a line is split like that, it can go either way confusion or clarification and the 85 immediately made the other two obsolete.
I've bee toying with the idea of finding something else for early and late season when the snow is thin and rocks reign. Something that will handle spring bumps well. Something I can take into the woods if it's a little thin and not worry about creaming my beloved Kastles. Being a little softer than the Kastles for spring bumps might not be a bad thing?
For this, I think the 85 will do well.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

Has anyone skied the 2017 Nordica NRGY 85 ( not necessarily the R, could be the non R ) in the North East?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there when I do a google search, except this one, and it's not clear if @Philpug actually skied the NRGY 85 or not. The few other reviews on the web are all over the place in terms of positioning the ski; some say it's a good ski for intermediates, others say all mountain do anything ski but shy away from ability level. Others say it's a woman's ski? A lot of these reviews seem to be judging the ski on the waist width ( 85 ), or the tail rocker being geared toward certain skiers types that might skid their turns ??, and not on objective skiing tests.

Me: 5'11'' 175lbs. Being a modest person, I hate to rate myself, but I guess it's necessary for this discussion. I get comments from ski friends like: strong skier, the E word has even been used, but really... let's just say I do alright. Anyway, I like to ski any and every terrain; from carving groomers, to bumps, to steep tight chutes, woods and off piste, to big mountain pow, I even use to race some a few years back. My current skis are: Kastle FX84 176, Kastle FX94 186, Kastle FX104 184, Atomic GS race skis 180, Fisher WC SL skis 165, Old ( 2009 ) Volkl Mantra 177, and a bunch of telemark skis I won't bore you with.

So, WHY AM I LOOKING at THESE SKIS?? My current rock ski is the old Mantras, they are still in good shape, but I just don't like skiing them much anymore ,esp in bumps; they're too planky. My current Kastles are all in great shape and I'd like to keep them that way for a few more years ( I know, I know, all skis are rock skis )

I've bee toying with the idea of finding something else for early and late season when the snow is thin and rocks reign. Something that will handle spring bumps well. Something I can take into the woods if it's a little thin and not worry about creaming my beloved Kastles. Being a little softer than the Kastles for spring bumps might not be a bad thing? The NRGY 85 intrigues me on paper, but the limited reviews confuse me. I have a line on a couple pair of these, but since I can't demo them I'm on the fence as to whether I'd be making the right choice or not.

Any and all wisdom welcome.

Thanks
I skied the NRGY 80 and 90 and thought they were awesome. There was something about their flex that made them forgiving, yet they could be pushed hard: I loved the tip and tail taper...they made bumps easy. I’m not sure why I never bought a pair..... I still do a diuble take when I see someone on them. I never tried the 85 but it would be a nice compromise between the 80 and 90. Also, you can ski them a bit longer than what you’re used to, IMO.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Scruffy, I have skied the NRGy85 and it is a damn fine ski at that but the review might have been on Epic therefore it is gone. I liked the NRGy's, I thiought with their gradual tip rise and taper in the tail they were great bump skis. In the collection, the 85 was late to arrive, they alreay had the 80 and the 90 then added the 85. IMHO, it was the best of the two ski, usually when a line is split like that, it can go either way confusion or clarification and the 85 immediately made the other two obsolete.

For this, I think the 85 will do well.

I skied the NRGY 80 and 90 and thought they were awesome. There was something about their flex that made them forgiving, yet they could be pushed hard: I loved the tip and tail taper...they made bumps easy. I’m not sure why I never bought a pair..... I still do a diuble take when I see someone on them. I never tried the 85 but it would be a nice compromise between the 80 and 90. Also, you can ski them a bit longer than what you’re used to, IMO.

^^ Thanks Gents! Just sealed the deal based on your recommendations. This is why we love pugski !!