• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiers vs Snowboarders 1985

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
There are just as many skiers on the mountain that I would prefer to not encounter as there are snowboarders.
As far as the blind side, I agree, but that's when we need to be conscientious about communicating that we are on the blind side.
Right. That's a problem in Europe though, where you can't be sure what their language is, and if just any English/French/German/Italian shout of attention/caution will do, or if they've got earbuds in.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's not a problem in Europe. If they are ahead of you it's your job to determine a safe path to pass them. How's your rearward vision anyway when you're skiing?

Good boarders check with a frontside glance back anyway - it ain't that hard. The only conceivable situation where there may be ambiguity is where you drop under someone on a toeside traverse and they turn a heelside turn into you. So don't do that and have a little patience. Plus you're on skis so if you can"t maintain a higher traverse than a boarder you should probably give up the sport.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
It's not a problem in Europe. If they are ahead of you it's your job to determine a safe path to pass them. How's your rearward vision anyway when you're skiing?

Good boarders check with a frontside glance back anyway - it ain't that hard. The only conceivable situation where there may be ambiguity is where you drop under someone on a toeside traverse and they turn a heelside turn into you. So don't do that and have a little patience. Plus you're on skis so if you can"t maintain a higher traverse than a boarder you should probably give up the sport.
No need to be personally insulting anyone here. I was exaggerating a little to go along with the playful tenor of the original post video. First time I've seen such sniping on this forum. I hope you just had a bad day or something and are not like this all the time?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not sniping at anyone the "you" is a generic turn of phrase. Anyway keep greasing your pancake squirrel and nose hoovering the backside whirpool.

^ Real snowlerboard slang ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no problems with snowboarders. Night skiing with people on boards who know what they are doing is huge fun.
I however do have a problem with wannabes, and snowboarding as a sport has the highest percentage of wannabes among all the sports...
Everybody Shaun White until they hit a kid and subsequently-got punched in the mouth by kid's dad.

The other problem is that the percentage of drunk/stoned boarders is infinitely higher that that of skiers.

Put the two together and the perfect recipe for disaster is right there.

BTW Park skiers are heading the same way, so it is not the boards...or perhaps I am just getting older and boring.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that is some quality investigative journalism!!!! :D

"Snowboarders are dangerous and they tell us to screw off"!

"Skiers don't get it and they are dangerous too"!

OMG...the quality of the news coverage was the comedy for me as much as the "get off my lawn" sound bytes from the ski establishment. Thanks for a ride down memory lane.

Anyone care to debate whether people should wear helmets or not? :yahoo:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope you just had a bad day or something and are not like this all the time?
He's like that all the time. He's fatbob. I suspect people at work view me in a similar way.

I have a conscience that ticks me off royally on the rare occasions when I notice it. It all works out.

Fatbob is a very good skier and is amusing in person, too.

Bottom line, too much white bread is boring and leads to complacency. Thus fatbob.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
In the 80's I didn't like what boarders did to the snow, especially transitions when they skidded over and down the steeper section, thus scrapping valuable snow away. (this before widespread snow making and wench cats.) In the 90's I really noticed how much the boarders were pumping money into the now snow industry. By the 00's, I thought that boarders just might be saving several small ski areas through buying tickets, gear, and eating and drinking at the hill! Another big plus, was how the ski manufacturers rethought ski design to make it easier to learn to ski! It must've worked, as there used to be all kinds of board companies with sponsored athletes, now there's way fewer.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the 80's I didn't like what boarders did to the snow, especially transitions when they skidded over and down the steeper section, thus scrapping valuable snow away. (this before widespread snow making and wench cats.) In the 90's I really noticed how much the boarders were pumping money into the now snow industry. By the 00's, I thought that boarders just might be saving several small ski areas through buying tickets, gear, and eating and drinking at the hill! Another big plus, was how the ski manufacturers rethought ski design to make it easier to learn to ski! It must've worked, as there used to be all kinds of board companies with sponsored athletes, now there's way fewer.

Where would I find one of those wench cats?

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
At Le Tremplin après-ski bar in Courchevel 1850, sipping wine in stilettos and a mini-dress. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
That's what I called them. The groomers that were able to attach a wire rope to a stanchion and "wench" their way uphill. There were still several Tuckers being used in the Northern Rockies at smaller areas which would just spin out going uphill. OTOH, I really like AlpedHuez's definition much better!! ;)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what I called them. The groomers that were able to attach a wire rope to a stanchion and "wench" their way uphill. There were still several Tuckers being used in the Northern Rockies at smaller areas which would just spin out going uphill. OTOH, I really like AlpedHuez's definition much better!! ;)
OK... now I'm not sure if you're joking. Just in case... They are winch cats, and winch their way uphill..

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
OTOH, I really like AlpedHuez's definition much better!! ;)
Malheureusement, I don’t have any photos of the cougars/panthers of Le Tremplin ...
722CF5B7-3D4E-48BD-9E27-05E318EDE493.jpeg
just with the après-ski chanteuses ...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There can be few more terrifying noises in the world then 30,000 Ulstermen and women bellowing out "Will Grigg's on Fire" in their soft lilting accents ;)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January