• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiers vs Snowboarders 1985

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao: Yeah every time I go by them youth strapping in with my daughter ( she’s 8) I always make a comment about her staying away from boarders “ their trouble “ loud enough for them to hear. Never had a time they were offered as a matter of fact they seemed proud :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowboards are Devil's creation. Unholy stuff for heathens spending 90% of their time on the slopes on their asses. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
These ungodly planks should be banned everywhere on planet Earth and their riders should be put in re-education camps, where they could rethink their lives.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somebody on here should make more current videos....examples of the everlasting debate of who is the “better” skier....lol:decisions:

Narrow skis vs. Wide Skis 2020
Carvers vs. Heel Pushers 2020
Railroad Tracks vs. Skidded Turns 2020

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So that's what a Canadian accent sounds like ? :ogbiggrin:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
C2436F26-8135-431E-944C-2F8DB16366E1.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've posted this before but its always worth reposting.
One of the things that makes it really interesting is that Northstar is extremely snowboard centric now, with two snowboard shops, only one ski shop and home of the Burton Academy.
Northstar at Tahoe Experiemnt with snowboards.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Call me stupid. For the life of me, I can't figure what thought process does your post supposed to invoke within us. How our attitude have changed over the year. How it haven't changed. How far have those knuckle dragging boarders have evolved in 35 years? How little they evolved? A simple expression of you inner feelings? A simple look of the past? A spoof? ...

Dumb a** like me need a clue.
Thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My takeaway...Humor, but also look at how far we've come in 35 years.
We just don't seem to have the holy wars of skier vs snowboarder like we used to.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly hope it's humor. Otherwise, I may have to start a thread on fat ski vs skinny skis. Full disclosure: I usually roam NA with many skis ranging from 65 mm SL to 116 mm soft snow skis in the back of my car during the winter months. I may have to take up position on both side of that thread. :decisions:

Stratton was my home hill. They were very accepting toward the boarders very early on.
I was in Taos when they open the mountain to boarders in 2008. The world didn't end. Hell didn't freeze over.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Yes, this.
My takeaway...Humor, but also look at how far we've come in 35 years.
We just don't seem to have the holy wars of skier vs snowboarder like we used to.
But many boarders still have that big backside blindspot, so all things considered, I would still rather share the mountain with an unsteady skier than the average snowboarder.

I’ve usually preferred Alpine to Squaw, but perhaps never more so when they used to have the boarder ban. :daffy:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've posted this before but its always worth reposting.
One of the things that makes it really interesting is that Northstar is extremely snowboard centric now, with two snowboard shops, only one ski shop and home of the Burton Academy.
View attachment 98559
What's a "snowboard cover", and how did they do the retention devices? (And why were they necessary? Were snowboards getting away from people back then?)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What's a "snowboard cover", and how did they do the retention devices? (And why were they necessary? Were snowboards getting away from people back then?)

I'm guessing they were similar to those still used in Japan. Many gondolas there don't have snowboard racks on the outside, so snowboarders have to bring boards inside. I think they're technically used to prevent dinging up the inside of the gondola with the tip of the board.

IMG_1318.PNG

Retention devices (aka leashes...similar to old school ski leashes or leashes on telemark/pin bindings) were used because skiers would complain that snowboards could run away because they didn't have brakes :rolleyes:.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, in the early 2000’s, freeskiers copied snowboarders in style, which probably helped the sport progress. Think Candide Thevox, who skied with snowboarders.

Were twin tip skis influenced by snowboards?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the retention devices were leashes. There are still some resorts that require leashes.
Its pretty rare that a snowboarder takes his/her foot out of one of the bindings, so I'm not sure how necessary.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But many boarders still have that big backside blindspot, so all things considered, I would still rather share the mountain with an unsteady skier than the average snowboarder.
There are just as many skiers on the mountain that I would prefer to not encounter as there are snowboarders.
As far as the blind side, I agree, but that's when we need to be conscientious about communicating that we are on the blind side.

Sponsor

Staff online