Skier responsibility code

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Big J, Feb 10, 2019.

1. PeteW

PeteW Putting on skis Skier

Stolen from facebook group :popcorn:

2. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

I’m not sure that approach helps things much or the next topic well may be violence on the ski slopes.

3. PeteW

PeteW Putting on skis Skier

Breaking the code may lead to violence :nono:

4. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

You miss the thinking. The slower skier has no right to block the faster skier's path. Slow is infringing on their run. Therefore if they do get hit, it's slow's fault.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Big J

Big J Putting on skis Skier

And to believe that some people may actually think this is true.

KingGrump, James, Horsemouth and 2 others like this.

6. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Out on the slopes Instructor

Last year a 20-something dude buzzed very close by me at mach schnell on a connector trail between two lifts. I confronted him in the lift line just afterwards, explaining that the responsibility code required that he leave more room when passing slower skiers. He told me I was going too slowly, I was in his line, I needed to get out of his way or go faster, and that faster skiers always had the right of way. I countered and he got belligerent ...and had buddies who agreed with him. There was no ski patrol anywhere nearby, so I let it go. Very frustrating.

Sibhusky and Horsemouth like this.
  7. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    You need to ski with a pocket full of cards displaying the alpine code, and hand them out to ass-clowns like that.

Big J likes this.
  8. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

As is evident in the ^^ post.
    Yep.

9. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

This totally stupid post should be removed before someone takes it out of context and uses it as evidence such thinking is accurate.

Big J, Sibhusky, Horsemouth and 2 others like this.
  10. slowrider

slowrider Out on the slopes Skier

Self-important or what.

11. Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

Pretty sure many do believe this.

12. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

I think folks are missing the point of @James post.

He's not making a joke or purporting that the idiot-uphill-faster skier is right. He's just saying that their thinking is that the "slower skier has no right to block the faster skier's path. Slow is infringing on their run". I.e. it's not that they aren't thinking, it's that they are thinking incorrectly.

Big J, Mendieta, Johnny V. and 4 others like this.
  13. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

This is how I took it as well.

In fact, I had a skier at Arapahoe Basin run over the back of my skis while I was making turns. His reply was that I "turned in front of him and it was my responsibility to look up hill before making a turn"
    Ski Patrol corrected him.

Big J and Coach13 like this.
  14. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Yes, that's basically it. Though I'd say they believe they are in the right.

How else to explain a straight liner who, 100 yards up the slope, starts screaming at people on the side of the trail to "get the f*** out of the way".

Didn't you eventually end up being friends with that guy?

Mendieta likes this.
  15. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Yes we did! In fact we've been in touch since then.

16. Seldomski

Seldomski Paralysis by analysis Skier

I think there are many people that conflate the way they drive to the resort with how to ski there... "If I am going fast in the left lane, it's your fault if your move in front of me results in a collision."

Big J, tball, James and 1 other person like this.
  17. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    There are different rules for a race track, a public road and an open run at a ski hill. Apparently some folk are ignorant of this fact.

18. David Chaus

David Chaus If I am skiing the world is a perfect place. Skier

OK, I had a collision with another ski instructor. It’s not like we didn’t both know the code. It was a morning warm up, not too many people around, and it was the last short pitch before the chairlift. I was skiing at a moderate pace but still working on arcing nice turns. Right at the apex of my turn, at the last second I see Peter, apparently at the apex of his turn from the other side of the slope. I know he wasn’t in front of me, I didn’t know he was anywhere near me, as I thought I was the last one of our group. He apparently didn’t see me out of his peripheral vision either. We must have looked like symmetry, arcing turns coming together at the apexes. Or Jerrys of the day. Or both.

Regardless, I was surprised, I found I had double ejected, and had to walk uphill about 10-20 feet to retrieve my skis. Didn’t seem too bad, a little sore in my abdomen. Shook it off. Before teaching a class I went into the restroom and checked for bruises (none) also to see if there was any kidney contusion (nope, pee was normal). I taught my morning class, but in the middle of it my lower left rib was getting painful. Took an ibuprofen at lunch, felt good enough to do a clinic in the afternoon. But very painful afterwards. I’m pretty sure I have a cracked rib. A snug bandage around my lower rib cage, a compression top, and Tylenol are now my best friends.

So, is there a takeaway? I don’t know. Who’s at fault? I don’t know. I was in control, and aware of my surroundings, I thought. Peter is a decent guy and we both checked in with each other throughout the day, riding the lift together several times.

Code or no code, shit can happen. Be careful, and don’t expect the code of conduct to protect you at all times.

Big J, Jim McDonald, tball and 3 others like this.
  19. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Out on the slopes Instructor

Check this out.
    A Fighter Pilot's Guide to Surviving on the Roads.
    https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads/

It starts this way:
    "What’s wrong with you — are you blind?’
    Who hasn’t thought this at some point whilst cycling or driving?

Now, before we go on, who can say that, at some point in their own driving history, they have not been about to manoeuvre — pull out from a T-junction, etc — when a car or bike seemed to come out of nowhere? Hopefully, it was just a close shave, and no doubt quite frightening. You may have wondered how you failed to see it, and concluded that they must have been driving too fast or you would have seen them. Perhaps, on such an occasion, you were the recipient of that loud and urgent query, ‘Are you blind?’

Well, here’s the bad news — yes, you were. For small but significant periods of time you are completely incapable of seeing anything at all. Most of the time, as I shall explain, this is not a problem. But if it means that you fail to see a vehicle that is just about to occupy the same point in space and time as you are — then this is a big problem!"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    tball, François Pugh and David Chaus like this.
  20. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

That article stuck with me, I remember it from Epic. There's a couple intersections here where I check again and again and again because the angle is such that I've missed more than once a guy coming. And I move my head back and forth with each look.

Big J and LiquidFeet like this.