Skier responsibility code

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Big J, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Big J

Big J Putting on skis Skier

My wife and I were skiing at Whistler this past week. We were skiing with a woman from Brazil on a green run when she was hit hard by another skier. It knocked them both out of their skis. She was a bit dazed but not hurt. I read a post here about a woman who was injured at Breckenrige (had to have medical attention) by a skier and his father who skied off. I mentioned that the downhill skier had the right of way and someone expressed doubt of this being valid. When in doubt you can always look up the skier responsibility code for the ski area itself. The code for Breckenridge, Whistler and Stevens pass is:

People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

The downhill skier is ahead of you therefore they have the right of way.
    I hope this removes any doubt about this.

2. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Unfortunately, I have meet quite a few skiers that champion their ideal of "Dude, you're in my line." :nono:

The really sad part is they actually think that line is part of the skier code.
    Ignorance knows no bounds.

RJS, AmyPJ, Dave Petersen and 3 others like this.
  3. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

In the Breck hit & run thread, we had 1 poster indicate “that at his resort the faster skier has the right-away “. I assume at his resort they outfit the slower skiers with rear view mirrors so they know when to move aside and allow faster skiers to pass by.

Big J, RJS, AmyPJ and 3 others like this.
  4. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

That's the code everywhere I've ever skied.

That said, I collided with a classmate in my lesson at Taos last week (shoulder to shoulder, pretty low speed, skiing next to each other - I never saw her but I may not have been downhill per se)... and another classmate got taken out hard from behind by a snowboarder who stuck around, carried a ski back up to him, and made sure he was OK (so there's that, at least). It was a pretty crowded and steep run, and I assume he was just going too fast to stop/swerve.

5. Chef23

Chef23 Putting on skis Skier

My wife got hit last weekend at The Canyons by a guy who couldn’t ski. We were coming back to the base on an intermediate trail when this guy went flying past us in a snow plow straight down the trail then crashed hard. We thought we would get down before he started up again but someone helped him up and he did the same thing all over again this time crashing into my wife. Fortunately my wife wasn’t hurt. I was a little below her and she waved me off that she was ok. The guy started up again and did it all over again. We waited it out and I stopped and talked to him. He didn’t have much to say except he was from the Midwest and Blue trails were much easier there. I advised him to get some lessons and stay on the green trails before he killed someone else.

I was very pissed. If my wife had been injured I likely would have done something I regretted.

Wasatchman, RJS, AmyPJ and 4 others like this.

6. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Yup, it seems some of these beginners don't even know what they don't know. They should at least learn to turn before they leave the bunny hill.

Big J likes this.
  7. Johnny V.

Johnny V. Half Fast Hobby Racer Skier

Skiing with my 8 year granddaughter today I was amazed at how many people are overterrained even on blue groomed slopes. Some of these people couldn't stop or really turn if their lives depended on it. I try to stay behind her and watch as much as possible-of course if a slope is really crowded I won't take her down it.

8. Brad J

Brad J Getting on the lift Skier

I was at Alta last year and skiing in a snow storm to the lift ( Sugarloaf) from the trail that runs under lift, when a young girl (10) skied across my ski's cut my ski pants with her ski. I was technically the down hill skier. This girl came from my right , not sure if she was above me at some point and then came across me but she was flying. Scared the crap out of me, I spoke to her in the lift line about the incident, she apologized and I got on lift. When I was on top waiting for my group , Her mother asked if anyone in our group spoke to her daughter. I told her that I did and she was furious and told me that no one got hurt and I should't have spoke to her. I tried to explain to the mother that if we collided it would most likely been her that would have gotten hurt and she would have had a much different reaction. I was the down hill skier but when does a out of control skier start to assume being responsible ?? at the point of he or she loosing control ?? would have been an interesting case , so glad it didn't come to that.

Big J, Wasatchman and RJS like this.
  9. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

I love it when people who believe in letting their kids run feral tell you not to correct their kids. I've told them if they were doing their parental duty I wouldn't need to do it for them.

jimmy, Wasatchman, RJS and 5 others like this.
  10. Brad J

Brad J Getting on the lift Skier

Believe me , I spoke to the girl much nicer than I would have to my own kids, an also spoke to the mother way nicer than she spoke to me !!

Wasatchman, RJS, NE1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. slowrider

slowrider Out on the slopes Skier

Dunning Kruger Effect

12. martyg

martyg Getting off the lift Industry Insider

If any of you are instructor and fed up with unsafe conditions at your home resort....

You are an employee. You are covered by OSHA. OSHA is very anal about being hit by hazards from above. I have played this card and OSHA is VERY responsive. They will send a letter to your employer. At the employee's behalf and at the employee's request, OSHA will do a physical inspection. If OSHA gets enough complaints they will do a surprise inspection, including all of the employer's records. No employer wants OSHA snooping around. It is a card worth playing.

Telluride was involved in an OSHA whistle blower case when they did not invite an instructor, who filed an OSHA complaint after being airlifted off the mtn when struck by an out-of control skier, back for the next season. As part of the settlement Telluride had to totally revamp safety practices.

As an employee, you have teeth through OSHA. As a guest of volunteer, you have little.

Wasatchman, RJS, AmyPJ and 3 others like this.
  13. JeffB

JeffB Refilling the flask Skier

It’s a no win situation for both the informed and the ignorant.

Today I witnessed a physical altercation between parents of opposing soccer teams at a tournament. During match play. Of 8 and 9 year old girls.

I realize that’s not skiing, but ... my sad conclusion is that ass clowns of all stripes have somehow managed to procreate and flourish in many different environments and climates.

In the incredibly unlikely event I ever hit the poweball (I don’t play) I vow to buy an abandoned ski area and open it by invite only to non ass clowns.

Big J, Jim McDonald, socalgal and 2 others like this.
  14. Thread Starter
    TS
    Big J

I have a question for everybody. If you get hit what can you do? Nobody will help you as they ski off. I have no idea how you would detain them. The best I can come up with is to film them if they hang around long enough for you to get your camera or phone out. If you follow them to the bottom what then?

15. sbooker

sbooker Putting on skis Skier

I had a bad crash in Europe a few weeks ago. On reflection I was going too fast as there were quite a few people on the fairly steep run. So I'm doing my thing and a downhill skier makes a sudden turn to their right to such a degree they went up the slope. I had to swerve to miss them and went over the side of the run and essentially tackled a boulder. The result was a dislocated collarbone and broken thumb.
    I fully acknowledge being in the wrong because I was skiing too fast for the conditions but I noticed many skiers on runs that were clearly above their pay grade. I think beginners/early intermediates skiing unsuitable terrain is also an issue that could be worth looking at.

*I still managed to ski for the rest of that day and four days after. It's amazing what you can achieve if you love something! Thank goodness for pain killers.

16. slowrider

slowrider Out on the slopes Skier

Never turn your back to live traffic when your stopped. Not much you can do when moving, head on a swivel.

17. martyg

martyg Getting off the lift Industry Insider

Hopefully, someone will be there to help. If you are skiing with a friend, brief them if the other person loses a ski they should pick it and take it to the very bottom of the mtn. Call patrol. More importantly, call the state police. Ski areas have no responsibility to report accidents - which is why we have shit for stats.

With state police involved you have an incident report. With possession of that person's ski(s) you have leverage.

Big J likes this.
  18. Jacob

Jacob CerebralVortex Skier

If you were both side to side, then it means that either one of you didn't safely overtake the other or you both set off at the same time (which means you both broke the rule about checking around you before setting off).

David Chaus, Sibhusky and pchewn like this.
  19. Thread Starter
    TS
    Big J

The bottom line is that we are all at risk without an adequate enforcement policy. I guess it is skier beware. Too many are way over their heads and do not seem to care much or at all about the possible injury they can cause to others. It is almost as if the best we can get is an apology for them running into and hurting us. I have skied for over 50 years and have been ski patrol at different areas and have few if any suggestions to help solve this problem.

20. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

Correct... no idea what actually happened though. It was a bit of an unusual situation - so I'll share. It's something for me to think about and maybe others.

Since it was a lesson, we had been following each other in (mostly) a line. Not literally follow the leader - but arrayed up the slope. I thought we were a bit close, and I was trying to get further from my classmates - so I moved out to the side on a wide slope and continued making turns. I don't know if the woman I collided with was behind me at the time or not... I definitely didn't have anyone clearly down-slope from me, and only saw her off to my side at the last second. So based on how we hit, I think it was more shoulder-to-shoulder.

It wasn't a typical situation where I was trying to stay away from everyone as I normally would. And I wasn't really trying to pass - I was trying to stay close to the rest of the class about where I had been in the "line", but continue to follow the instructor and work on what we were doing. Normally outside of a class, I'd have just waited for traffic to clear and then skied without any ambiguity.