• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

severou

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

Thought I introduce myself. I am 41 used to snowboard back when I lived in Canada(near Toronto) but not much, ice/crowds/$$. Moved to Japan couple years back, I have kids and heard that it is easier to teach them to ski. So last year I tried for the first time(well I used to do cross country when I was a teenager but I guess that does not count). I was hooked instantly, what helped is the snow here is so damn nice, bad days are like best days near TO. Now I ski with my 5 year old daughter, but also a lot myself since I live within one and a half hour drive from some of the nicest ski resorts in Honshu and work remotely so my hours are flexible. Tried to teach it to my 3 year old as well and now she can pizza slide her way down at the moving sidewalk slope.

I also love mountains and do trail running and climbing in spring-fall. My older winter hobby was iceclimbing but it is not kids friendly ;)

Being new I can't contribute much except if someone wants information where to visit if the want to ski at Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and other areas in Nagano(main island in Japan). I can help as I like trying different places and been in quite a few.

James

Out There
Instructor
Welcome.
What events in the '98 Oympics were held where? I remember at one point tbey had the army out shoveling a meter if snow off one of the courses.

TS
S

severou

Booting up
Skier
Welcome.
What events in the '98 Oympics were held where? I remember at one point tbey had the army out shoveling a meter if snow off one of the courses.

Not sure, I think GS and Jumps at Hakuba Happo. Some were also held at Shiga Kogen but not sure which

TS
S

severou

Booting up
Skier
So it was Happo, Shiga Kogen(Higashidate and Yakebitai), Myoko Kogen(Izuna), Nozawa had Biathlon

I could see how the guys working the slopes to prepare for races had their work cut out for them all are very snowy. I have not been to Izuna but rest are all great places, highly recommended. Happo tends to get quite busy by Japanese standards as does Nozawa on long weekends. Shiga mid week is like your own private resort, it gets less snow but higher and snow is superb.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
At the right times.

Sponsor

Staff online