• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skier earns CSIA Level 3 at age 67

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
Along the lines of "learned to ski after 50 thread" - here's a story of a person who takes up skiing at age 40 (-ish) and achieves her CSIA level 3 at age 67.

Very inspirational!

(note- one of her clients learns to ski in his 70's)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, that a good one. Great to see.

Couple of interesting points for those that don't have time to watch.

She was working as a ski instructor at Whistler so had access to 1st rate trainers. Passed the CSIA L3 ski off at 66 and then the L3 teaching the next year. To up the degree of difficulty she broke her leg the season before (aged 65)!

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
She's part of our CSIA - WIS committee. And this is just great. There's hope for my L3 then!!

I think unless you’ve suffered an irreparable injury, there’s hope for most people!

The L3 ski component can be attained with finesse, or by using sheer strength and tenacity to overcome technical shortcomings. It’s not until the level 4 that you need to combine both...

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
If you don’t have time, the first 10 minutes is inspirational.

The next hour is educational.

This lady can teach!

Ken is obviously a brilliant instructor/trainer.

@MattFromCanada I really like does "four technicals," Eh? Where edge angle is an outcome. I searched for them on the web but cannot find them. Any help would be appreciated. I like that Ken says they focus on inputs and that correct skiing is the outcome.

I wonder if you CSIA guys think that the PSIA "five fundamentals" are really outcomes too? Or are they inputs?

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
One other incredible thing from that video -- I absolutely love that quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

My new mantra.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you don’t have time, the first 10 minutes is inspirational.

The next hour is educational.

This lady can teach!

Ken is obviously a brilliant instructor/trainer.

@MattFromCanada I really like does "four technicals," Eh? Where edge angle is an outcome. I searched for them on the web but cannot find them. Any help would be appreciated. I like that Ken says they focus on inputs and that correct skiing is the outcome.

I wonder if you CSIA guys think that the PSIA "five fundamentals" are really outcomes too? Or are they inputs?

Chicken dinner? :beercheer:

The CSIA has moved away from the 4 Technical References. Although they were (are?) useful. And they are so beaten into the brains of many folk (like me!) that it will take a while before they fade into background knowledge.

Are PSIA's 5 fundamentals inputs or outputs? Maybe they are a mix.
Example:
Control edge angle through a combination of inclination and angulation.

Inclination and angulation are the inputs and the edge angle is the output. However it's only an intermediate output. What we want is to manage ground reaction forces to push us where we want to go and at the speed we want.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Hey @geepers I looked for them and I cannot find them anywhere. Any chance you would post a link to them as food for my thought?

I liked the Brahms and Chicken Dinner as objective proof of flow.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey @geepers I looked for them and I cannot find them anywhere. Any chance you would post a link to them as food for my thought?

I liked the Brahms and Chicken Dinner as objective proof of flow.

Hi Tim,
Not sure if you are after a statement of the CSIA 4 tech Refs or an in-depth discussion.

The statement:
  1. Use of all joints helps maintain balance, providing the ability to manage forces acting on the ski and the skier
  2. Turning is led by lower body and the ski design
  3. Upper and lower body separation allows for angulation to provide grip
  4. Co-ordinated movement patterns direct forces on the skis and momentum of skier from turn to turn
For the discussion of each of these search youtube for "Otto CSIA Tech". There are 4 vids - one for each Tech Ref - on the same channel as Esta Evans' talk.

Just be aware that Tech Refs are now superceded.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I met Jay while we both worked at Big Sky, he is one year older than I am and a determined instructor. He was still teaching full time while in his 70's, Level 2, and wanted to try for Level 3. The ski school director at the time felt he was too old to even try for his Level 3 pin. Jay took himself to Deer Valley where his talent and desire to move up a level were more appreciated. After 2 or so years at DV, in his 70's, he passed the exam and became a PSIA Level 3 instructor. He has now retired but I'm pretty sure he was still instructing full time at DV in his 80's. Gives you kids some hope doesn't it?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online