• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skier death at Jay Peak

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Always sad to read articles like this. :(

With the way conditions were in Northern Vermont over the weekend (i.e., ice shavings on top of ice), I'm actually surprised there wasn't more reporting of this nature. I took a disturbingly long slide on a groomer on Sunday and I was barely moving. I'm glad I wasn't lined up to hit anything.

A lot of snow is coming tonight and how well it's going to bond to the ice is an open question... I'm looking forward to hearing from @Josh Matta and other locals regareding how the turnaround is coming... I fear that tomorrow's "powder chase" will lead to some bad decision making (i.e., avalanches, slide-for-life, etc.). I've seen various posts on my Instagram and Facebook pages from patrol / mountain rescue warning that Wednesday could be some seriously sketchy conditions.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

With the way conditions were in Northern Vermont over the weekend (i.e., ice shavings on top of ice), I'm actually surprised there wasn't more reporting of this nature. I took a disturbingly long slide on a groomer on Sunday and I was barely moving. I'm glad I wasn't lined up to hit anything.

A lot of snow is coming tonight and how well it's going to bond to the ice is an open question... I'm looking forward to hearing from @Josh Matta and other locals regareding how the turnaround is coming... I fear that tomorrow's "powder chase" will lead to some bad decision making (i.e., avalanches, slide-for-life, etc.). I've seen various posts on my Instagram and Facebook pages from patrol / mountain rescue warning that Wednesday could be some seriously sketchy conditions.

Hopefully there are not too many people out there tomorrow - assuming most folks will have to work on a Wednesday.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Hopefully there are not too many people out there tomorrow - assuming most folks will have to work on a Wednesday.

"White Fever" is a mysterious virus. The frequency of cases seems directly correlated with large snow fall totals on the weather map.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

So far the snow is sadly not bonding to the surface. I think sunrise glades tomorrow are going to be epic!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An instructor at N* was with a group of kids he was teaching in the park and lost his footing on some weird snow was thrown into a tree. Because the storm was so huge, they couldn't fly him so he was taken to a trauma center, but the roads were bad too, so the drive took longer than usual and he died from his injuries.
https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/n...dies-after-incident-at-lake-tahoe-ski-resort/
Sad on so many levels.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
"White Fever" is a mysterious virus. The frequency of cases seems directly correlated with large snow fall totals on the weather map.

Powder Fever is real. I have experienced poor decision making on powder days, squeezing in that extra turn or whatever. As an old guy I also know that if I go too all out on a ski day i will be too burnt out the next day.

On another sad note on Sunday a skier died at Snowmass. He was found unresponsive in a terrain park.

Sponsor

Staff online