• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I would not trust their mapping. Here's a shot of their shading around Lichtenberg at Stevens Pass vs. Caltopo. It look like they only map slide paths that run out into roads.

avalanchemapping.PNG

caltopo.PNG

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
It can be completely safe. You just need some basic route planning skills and be able to stick to a plan. The most dangerous thing about the pass is other users (in very particular spots that are easily avoided).

I'm not fooling myself to in saying I've skied the pass safely several dozen times. It has nothing to do with what other people are doing. And its certainly not safe if you're skiing something just because other people did which is classic heuristic trap in the backcountry -- the "T" and "S" of FACETS.

Sorry wasn't trying to say that everyone is doing that. I plan on taking my Avy 1 course with my partner and once we've the training I am sure we'll get out and do some exploring. I have male friends with no training, knowledge, or gear who ride or ski passes regularly. They scare me, and I am glad you know they're there and give them a wide berth.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sorry wasn't trying to say that everyone is doing that. I plan on taking my Avy 1 course with my partner and once we've the training I am sure we'll get out and do some exploring. I have male friends with no training, knowledge, or gear who ride or ski passes regularly. They scare me, and I am glad you know they're there and give them a wide berth.

Us males are generally the idiot decision makers in the BC.

I see you live in Tabernash -- if at all possible I'd highly recommend the AIARE 1 courses offered via Colorado Mountain School at the Broome hut. You get to stay in a beautiful hut for 2 nights, spend 3 days with guides (this is a huge plus in learning little BC tips), and ski some terrain close to home that will be good to familiarize yourself with.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some links to an old blog written by a Lake Louise patroller. He discusses avalanche work, and slope stability techniques. The whole blog was a really interesting read. I wish he kept it up.

More for general interest rather than OB/IB distinction.

https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress.com/category/avalanche-control/

https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/avalanche-control-in-brownshirt/

https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress.com/tag/avalanche-control/

https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/whitehorn-ii/

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Jmeb: I’d imagine the spots you’re talking about on Berthoud that are easily accessible from the parking lot are: HHA & Fingers, Floral Park, 80s -100s and the Chutes on the west side above the highway? Any others right there?

Mostly covers it, but there are a lot of things called by a lot of different names up there.

25 degrees or below you need some pretty odd conditions to slide. Insanely unstable winter conditions, odd terrain features (i.e. no support from below), or a spring-time glide avalanche.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
If there is enough skier compaction to create moguls, then it should be safe.:D

Having said that, we once had a fissure open up across a in bounds run that was not steep enough to slide. The fissure was IIRC about 4 feet deep and 2-3 feet wide, maybe 20 feet long.

I heard bumps were forming on the slope that slid in Taos killing those two young men. I guess the southern Rockies have one delicate and touchy pack this year.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Always amazed by the gong show on Loveland Pass as I drive by. People with no safety equipment and obviously no clue, hitting that slope below the top of the pass to the bottom switchback. Sure skier compaction may help that a bit and it’s pretty low angle, but this is CO after all. The snowpack is sketchy.
Today topped it all - saw a crew finishing their run at the bottom switchback as I was crawling by in traffic...noticed they were all riding down while smoking joints
Real smart fellas.

Sponsor

Staff online