• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skied Austria, Where Next ?

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, the tram building at the Grand Montets burned so that takes out the premier lift served area in the Chamonix valley.
Big Vertical, you can give Monterosa a try. Really a better off piste destination but huge terrain, reasonable prices, great food. Does not have the cushy lift system that you like in Austria.
The Ober Engadine has a lot of skiing, reliable snow, and better than average chance of good weather. High altitude. Everything from long buffed out cruisers to off piste. St. Moritz is the main town, but there are plenty of great places to stay up and down the valley like Sils Maria. Pontresina, Celerina, and Samedan. A bit pricier due to being Swiss, but one of my all time favorite places to be. Legalb and Diavolezza are up on the Bernina Pass. Big vertical, high altitude, and access to the long glacier run down to Morterasch. Beautiful big mountain scenery
Dolomites are tough to beat. Off piste is limited unless you have a guide. I'd highly recommend day or two with a guide. Arabba and Alta Badia are good bases. Easy to drive over to Cortina from Ala Badia, Marmolada is also near by, and the food and on mountain dining is all world. I'll be there in March. Awesome scenery.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
Appreciate all the suggestions Choucas. So is Ober Engadine the same thing as St Moritz? Looks good, real good, but only trouble is it's 3:30 train ride from ZRH, too far. I'm only skiing 3 days. Monterosa is only 2 hrs from Milan, that's good, but I'd have to figure out bus or transfer. Yes, if Grand Montets is closed I guess that leaves out Chamonix for this year. There's got to be some big resort, with challenging terrain, only 2 hrs train from GVA or ZRH. (of course there is but i haven't picked it yet) Italy is appealing, I skied into there from Zermatt for lunch and a few runs. I am looking to go first weekend of Feb or before. Not 100% I'm going to Europe though, Big Sky or Jackson are also in the mix for that trip. But if I could find easy euro travel I'll probably do that. (I also have standard SLC 3rd week of Feb trip and likely March CO ski/visit daughter trip going)

James

Out There
Instructor
Didn't know about the Grands Montet fire. Too bad. That's prob going to put huge pressure on the Aiguille du Midi lift.
But, if your only 3 days a Cham/Coumayeur trip could still be in play.
You'd take a shuttle rather than train to either from gva.
Or just fly to Milan.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I somehow missed the only skiing 3 days part. Take the train to Klosters Dorf from Zurich airport. 1 change in Landquart. For a nice, moderately priced hotel stay at the Hotel Silvapina in Klosters Dorf. There are plenty of nicer places in Klosters Platz and Davos. Lots of good skiing, exceptional off piste, and reliable snow.

Sponsor

Staff online