• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skied Austria, Where Next ?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm near Toronto, and for the last 8 years I go with a couple pals to primarily Austria for a 10 day guys' ski trip ( 7 days on the slopes with a day off ). We are aged 47, 52, 62 ( Hmmm ... sounds like a pitching wedge, gap wedge, and lob wedge ). We are casual recreational skiers who like a bit of everything -> great groomer runs, jumping off piste into side stashes of powder, and the occasional marked off-piste as the like to call it over there. We have had very few big pow days while away. We love the whole European experience -> do we really go there to ski, or to eat & drink ?!?!

We have been to Zermatt twice.
We have done the whole St. Anton/Lech and Ischl areas many times, and nearby Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis
In upcoming Feb 2019 we are off to Solden and nearby Obergurl-Hochgurgl.
As we always fly into Munich, we have been to Garmisch & Zugspitze often enough too as we drive through G-P to Austria.

At the Munich airport we always rent a big station-wagon / estate / kombi ( E-Class of 5-Series ) which hauls 3 guys and our gear comfortably. We never have our accommodation directly in the ski village. Instead we rent a 4-bedroom 2-bath apartments outside of the main ski towns via sites like Booking, AirBnB, VRBO, etc. This is a great scenario as the last 2 years we have stayed in Landeck Austria, which is at the fork in the road, providing easy 20min drives to St. Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus -Fiss-Ladis.

Any recommendations for where to plan for our 2020 ski trip in Europe ?
As noted above, we are happy to be nestled amongst a few villages where new ski destinations are an easy drive. We like ski destinations that have good vertical and great lift systems ( don't we all ) and the infrastructure in Austria has probably spoiled us.

I have been on Google map, navigating around looking at ski area lift systems, then going to these regions' respective websites.

Switzerland doesn't seem to have many big ski areas other than Zermatt.
Switzerland is also expensive from just a casual food & beverage standpoint , let alone accommodations.
In Italy, would the Val Gardena / Sellaronda area make us happy -> seems a bit low elevation
In France what about Tignes / Val D'Isere or the 3 Valleys ?
Any other areas to consider ?

Which region would you suggest for our next guys' trip ?

thanks ~ Andy

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In Switzerland, have a look at 4 Valleys for vertical and off-piste (Verbier etc.).

Dolomites (Sella Ronda): more for cruising and DOlce Vita moe than pure sports
France is the other way around. 3 Valleys and Val d'Isère-Tignes are great. Brilliant infrastructure, villages are not really hallmark. But purely for skiing: the best

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've not been to the Tarentaise hills but from what I have researched they sound right up your alley. Bourg Saint Maurice or Villaroger might be a good base to ski Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes, Val D, St Foy, La Rosiere etc.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
As mentioned before, you should check out the 4 Vallees, but I would look at staying somewhere like Nendaz rather than Verbier if you want to save money. Another deceptively big ski area in Switzerland is Arosa-Lenzerheide. Both should have affordable accommodation if you check out the apartments rather than the hotels.

In France, Tignes and Val d'Isere are great, and both have plenty of apartments that are affordable. But, I would highly recommend going a little earlier in the year to avoid crowds (late January rather than mid-February).

In Italy, the Milky Way area is pretty nice for your type of skiing. If you stay around Oulx, then you could also head up the road to Bardonecchia for a day or two.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, I would go at least a few days based in Chamonix. It's relatively cheap to stay, you can make a trip through the tunnel to Courmayeur in Italy. Cham is not quaint, likely you've been spoiled by Austria for quaint and lifts.
Note Cham is like 1 1/4 hr drive from Geneva airport.
If you do Cham the 3 of you really must get a guide for a day or two. Otherwise Cham can be too ordinary.

There's also a hotel up in the mts that a train goes to. It over looks the glacier. That would be amazing. Name escapes me now.

I've been to Verbier/4Vallees the last 3 seasons. Last year I was in the lift and some Brits were complaining about the lift system. Relative to what you're used too it may be inefficient. That's what I've been told. One could also stay down in Brusson or Le Chable. There's skiing right at Brusson and lifts to take you to Le Chable (where the train stops) and back up to the gondola at Medrans which is Verbier.

Staying in Verbier is more expensive and odd because it's on a hill. So you don't really walk the town.

Actually, in Verbier I'd recommend an off piste guide also.Verbier is known for lify access off piste skiing. If you want to join a group, Guides des Verbier only does random groups on wed. You show up and join others up to 8. Airbag/shovel/probe is included, you need beacon.
I'd look into another guide service. Might be cheaper.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think you would love Val Gardena, even if you won't get much off piste. The Italian ski experience should be on everyone's bucket list. Re altitude, it's not that it's low but that the south-facing Alps tend to be drier. However, the snowmaking and grooming there is the best in the world, in my and many others' opinion. If you fly into Milan, Innsbruck or Venice it's an easy drive. Think long, sunny lunches with fresh pasta, veal milanese, mushroom risotto, a nice red and finished with a killer espresso....for $20.

The lift system in Val G is incredible, by the way. Think heated gondolas, 6-pack chairs with plexiglass protectors, even an underground train between the Saslong DH and Seceda...

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2 hours from Zurich is Engelburg - Titlis. If it’s good enough for the Blizzard / Tecnica groups and DPS riders to camp out there...... well you might just like it.
Great village, great vibe, hire a guide and prepare to be amazed.
We did a week there, cheap and it’s on my list for a do over. By the way there is a huge Stöckli store at the base of the hill, leave room in your bag to bring a pair home.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Sorry to hijack but...@Catskill carver are you able to buy tax-free as a visitor?

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great input guys, thanks for the comments !

I bought skis at Jennewein Sport in St. Anton ( BMX-105 ) and the ski shop had the VAT re-imbursement form all ready to go.
At the Munich airport, I had to go to some tax office to get it stamped.
Once stamped, I put it in the mail, and 5 weeks later had about 125 euros credited back on my credit card

James

Out There
Instructor
Italy is certainly beautiful. How does Cortina fit in?
Here's Julia free skiing powder in Cortina.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Italy is certainly beautiful. How does Cortina fit in?
Here's Julia free skiing powder in Cortina.
If you take the chair lift in Cortina, you cannot access the backcounty.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Val D’isere/Espace Killy get my vote! Awesome skiarea, and great food. Fondue Factory is a most do! Stay in Val D’isere, since Tignes is all concrete, and not much else. The area is far better than Trois Vallee in my opnion, but transfer will be longer ! Grenoble og Geneva would be preferred airport, but i dont Think Grenoble have flights to the America’s ( and the airport is a Living hell!).

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
How about some ideas for me? I've taken 3 short 3 day trips to Europe and skied Zermatt, St Anton & Verbier. I don't want to hire a guide and I like to ski black moguls. St Anton and Verbier were very good for me. I prefer to take a train (from either GVA or ZRH) to a BIG resort that has a bunch of gondolas. I like riding in the big boxes in Europe! Definitely don't want to end up someplace where its' mostly piste cruising. Italy or Germany are possible too of course if the resort is right and I can get a direct flight. (from PHL or EWR)

Chamonix is easy because I could arrive at 7:30am and get half a day skiing in (that worked at St Anton even w/ 3 hr train ride). Above Cham was described as "ordinary" w/o a guide, is that the case?? I don't like the separate base area set-up.

I'm reading Engelberg and Andermatt might be also be good for me. (and I could take a train right?) I know France is where I really should go (out of GVA), but I don't like the 3 hr bus ride and the way the flights/work schedule works I have to take more days off of work. I like a place w/ a whole bunch of lifts that I could have fun skiing different runs every time and spend the day exploring the resort.

Of course I could go back to St Anton or Verbier. At St Anton I skied almost every lift lift and did the Zurs white ring, and I know they expanded access to another area but I don't know much about that. I was at Zermatt in early December, nicest scenery and set-up of all. Almost all of the mtn was open except for Gornergrat blacks, but there were literally no moguls, even on the off-piste edges, plus Zermatt is more expensive and tougher travel for me.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
If you liked Ischgl you will like Val D'Isere it is definitely a skiers resort with tremendous atmosphere. The 3 V is as good Fly into Geneva and hire a car on the FRENCH side.

I liked the Dolomites for more mellow sking. Stay in Arabba because you have easy access to the Marmolada area which has the more demanding stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
Above Cham was described as "ordinary" w/o a guide, is that the case?? I don't like the separate base area set-up.
Not sure what "above" refers to. The thread?
But, I'd probably agree with that. I really haven't skied a lot of the non guided stuff. You really need a guide to get runs and scenery that's truly extraordinary. You could also do huts, but you like gondolas and trams, probably not skining out of a refuge.
Guides are cheaper than Verbier, and one can easily get to Courmayeur through the tunnel.
Though the tram from in town heads up 9,200 ft which is just crazy. (Really two trams, the second with no towers, only supported at the ends.)

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not sure what "above" refers to. The thread?
But, I'd probably agree with that. I really haven't skied a lot of the non guided stuff. You really need a guide to get runs and scenery that's truly extraordinary. You could also do huts, but you like gondolas and trams, probably not skining out of a refuge.
Guides are cheaper than Verbier, and one can easily get to Courmayeur through the tunnel.
Though the tram from in town heads up 9,200 ft which is just crazy. (Really two trams, the second with no towers, only supported at the ends.)
Wasn’t there some tram that went up in flames there? Don’t remember which one, but going to Cham, it is worth looking up!