• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Can't wait to demo. I'm pulling the trigger. I'm 5'10", 160 lb, male. Since the HRC's aren't rockered, a I'm thinking the 174. I have both 175 and 182 Superspeeds. But, I got the 182's only because, years ago, I signed up for a Master's program one season and wanted them for GS courses. I'm thinking the 174 HRC would be better for general recreation and for L3 exams??

Honestly, at your weight, you might like the black firebird better. FWIW, if I were buying a pair for myself at 5'11" 205#, I'd take the 174. You could ski the 166/8(?) and probably never find the top end of the HRC. I spent two full days (174) on them last year. They're very strong. The tip shape/stiffness/no rocker needs accurate piloting off piste. Remember that a lot of the folks skiing these well have serious skill sets.

(What is a super speed?)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Remember the Volkl 5-star? Superspeed was kind of the extra stiff final variation.

Ahhhhhh! I was a full time telemarker then. OP, if the superspeeds in a 182 are your groove, the 174 HRC may work as long as you let it know who owns who.
:beercheer:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

James

Out There
Instructor
How many take an exam these days on a gs ski > 20m?
Blizzard would be GS Racing (non Fis)

Bluzzard:
FDB620F8-8584-4C12-BE74-E9B09552F295.jpeg

GS
0C17513E-708D-4109-AEFC-9DDBB6CAAB0B.jpeg

WRC
Heh, narrower tip and tail of GS better in bumps?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
You could ski the 166/8(?) and probably never find the top end of the HRC.
I have been toying with the idea of a 166-168 slalom ski. I've not skied a slalom-esque ski since the green Atomic ARC, circa 1987.

atomic_arc24.jpg

174 will probably work. Although for GS, I'd probably go for something in the 180's.

Thanks. No interest in skiing GS courses, and add markojp's description, the 174 will be plenty of fun. 174 it is.

What is a super speed?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The WRC caught my attention, but I like the versatility of the HRC's 76 width.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
How many take an exam these days on a gs ski > 20m?
Blizzard would be GS Racing (non Fis)

Bluzzard:
View attachment 89565
GS
View attachment 89566
WRC
Heh, narrower tip and tail of GS better in bumps?

James, in my experience, the tip shape and relative stiffness of the 174 HRC and 185 WRC (whatever the longest length is... I had a pair for a season) make them pretty unforgiving off piste. For free skiing and more all around versatility, I much prefer the Rossi Hero Master, iSpeed Pro, and I Race Pro. For whatever reason. Though, the 180 WRC felt much softer and quicker, but maybe I skied a non-piston plate pair. Dunno. But the HRC is a very cool stick. On piste it's a hoot. I've skied it in off piste warm wierd mank, and found I had to be super precise to make them work. I've skied iSpeed Pro's in a bunch of different conditions (180, 18m) and really enjoy them... so much so that after a morning on them, I sold my Titans at lunch. I can't say anything more just yet, but Head will have a couple of new offerings that should make nice exam skis. In the WRC, HRC, HEro Master, iSpeed/iRace Rebels world, they're all absolutely great skis. Atomic as well. You just can't go wrong owning a pair.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Let me get this straight. Are some of you recommending a >20m ski for certification exams on hard snow, maybe on narrow trails, plus hard bumps, in the east, for a 160 lb guy who is going to have to do Pain-in-the-S turns at slowish speed in front of examiners (on a winched groomer that's most likely icy)?

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Let me get this straight. Are some of you recommending a >20m ski for certification exams on hard snow, maybe on narrow trails, plus hard bumps, in the east, for a 160 lb guy who is going to have to do Pain-in-the-S turns at slowish speed in front of examiners (on a winched groomer that's most likely icy)?

Not me. For the OP's size and weight, I'd think a Rally would be much more versatile than the HRC. I think he'd like the black firebird better than the HRC for exam time as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
No Rally's! Stop the madness with that bloated tip! That's a L2 ski, or less.

I much prefer the Rossi Hero Master,
That's a sweet ski. What drives me crazy is the square tip shape. It would be a lot more versatile with a round tip that tapers in a bit. More like some of the Heads that don't have the "we lost our minds 'Hammer Head Tip' "
Make the damn thing 2cm longer. Must skis be so specialized these days? Ridiculous. Plus that heinous binding that's hard to step in.
Still...a great ski. I was at Mad River a few years ago and watched someone blow through the bumps on that ski. Impressive. Got to the bottom and it was Terry Barbour.

Geez, not that big a deal. Somehow, everyone managed all that with 60m sidecut skis well over one's head. Even beginners and intermediates.

Is there that big a difference between a 165cm/12.5m slalom ski and a 175cm/15-16m, even 18m, whatever ski? Most of it is in our heads. Things like flex and tip shape probably matter more. Where it does matter is demonstrating say uphill arcs, where high sidecut skis take a long time to come around.

Honestly, my 192cm/26m Stormrider 95, because of it's soft tip is very easy to make short turns on groomed. Could do it all day, but it's fun to put it in 5th gear and go past all those damn short turners.

At levels above L3, apparently they want to see you turn a high sidecut ski. @Erik Timmerman ?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Not to worry. I ordered the 174 HRC's. And the only >20 skis I have are Bones and touring skis; I would never use them for an L3 exam.
Yes they are. A guy that is struggling with wedge Christie.
That was certainly a learning experience. :)
Is there that big a difference between a 165cm/12.5m slalom ski and a 175cm/15-16m,
I don't know all that is required of an L3 exam. But, of what i do know, I don't think it would be a big difference. As for something like 25m skis, I think that introduces an unnecessary challenge, not that it can't be done. Does anyone know where in an L3 exam a >20m ski would have a distinct advantage?
@Erik Timmerman, he got the wedge christies and the LII pin!
:) Thanks for remembering.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No Rally's! Stop the madness with that bloated tip! That's a L2 ski, or less.

The OP is 160 lbs. Just because we don't personally connect with a ski doesn't mean it isn't fantastic for someone else. And Rossi doesn't care if you don't like their tip shape. They aren't making skis for you, or me for that matter. That ski was designed for Ted L to do Nastar pace setting on.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Not to worry. I ordered the 174 HRC's. And the only >20 skis I have are Bones and touring skis; I would never use them for an L3 exam.

That was certainly a learning experience. :)

I don't know all that is required of an L3 exam. But, of what i do know, I don't think it would be a big difference. As for something like 25m skis, I think that introduces an unnecessary challenge, not that it can't be done. Does anyone know where in an L3 exam a >20m ski would have a distinct advantage?

:) Thanks for remembering.

All that's required for an L3 exam is available on the psia website. As far as skis are concerned (assuming your boots and alignment are sorted out), IMHO, narrower skis are much easier to do tasks with precision, especially anything involving one ski skiing. A 14-16m ski can make both short and long high performance turns. In our region, it's more common to see L3's done on an 85-90 width ski to deal with the normal off piste funkenweirdness that is the PNW. Out east or in Central, I'd think anything from an SL ski to a mid 70's ski would be great, and I'd certainly take the exam on something like a Dynastar speedzone 4x4 82 Pro.... but anyhow.... good luck with your quest. Oh, yes, there is a difference between a FIS SL and a 14-16m ski. Bottom line is choose a ski, make friends with it, ski it as much as you can in as many different conditions as you can so that there are no performance surprizes on exam day.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid