• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hermanator

Booting up
Skier
I am hoping someone can help me or steer me in the right direction. I ended up with this machine (see story on that below) and would like to get it running just for fun. I have a skiing and ski racing family (though I would not use it for race skis) and figure I could base grind our rec skis. I can't find anything on the internet about the Ski Tuner brand machines. Does anyone know of a similar machine from a different manufacturer that I could get an operator's manual on? Did Ski Tuner become GrindRite?

This machine is so old I assume it has no market value. I would be happy to sell it to someone if it is worth anything.

The story - I purchased an enclosed trailer and the machine was mounted inside. I had to take the machine as part of the deal. The seller and his son set up the trailer, (insulated, wired, etc.) and bought the machine used in 1998 (1980's vintage?). His son took it to Big Sky and spent the winter tuning skis in the Big Sky parking lot. He came back home and passed away soon after. His parents parked the trailer for 18 years until finally deciding to sell it.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Herm

20190527_131036.jpg
20190527_131027.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting. Was just in Hinesburg, Vt on Saturday. Got nothing for you though. Looks like pretty limited width for sanding. Is it single phase?

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Four blades on the plug - most likely 3 phase.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Looks like an electric range plug to me.

combines 220V 1ph and 110 V for the controls , lights etc.

TS
H

Hermanator

Booting up
Skier
They had it hooked up to a portable generator, so highly likely it is single phase.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be very suprised if it's not three phase. This Montana GM-U was and it was smaller:
Tuning center 2.jpg

TS
H

Hermanator

Booting up
Skier
Just found this out...

Ski Tuner is the original name of Grindrite, they started out as Ski Tuner changed to Grindrite and then were bought around 2000 by Wintersteiger.

So, an old Grindrite operators manual on a similar machine would help, if there is such a thing out there.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like a fun machine. Sometimes the motor decal will specify the current requirements. An electrician could probably figure it out in 30 minutes. Maybe he had it rigged up for DC for use in the RV.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Iriquois Manufacturing in HInesburg has been in business since 1925. They might be able to provide some contact info for someone that used to work at Custom Manufacturing.

TS
H

Hermanator

Booting up
Skier
ITS ALIVE!!!

Main motor turns the stone / belt drive and the stone dressing motor works! I haven't figured out the feed motors yet though.

When I first hit the switch for the stone/belt it nearly stalled my 9,400 watt generator. There is a red button that must be pushed when first turning on the stone/belt motor, then it purrs like a kitten.

A couple questions:

1) What is used for fluid in these machines?
2) Anyone know where I can get a binding bridge?

Thanks,

Herm

Sponsor