• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski tune/skins not sticking

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Anyone ever get there skis waxed the after the skins not sticking to them as well? My skins have lots of life left on them and are sticky.

Just looking for on the fly trouble shooting options. I'm not well versed in DIY ski maintenance.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't really have a immediate solution, but this is why I opt for DPS Phantom on my BC skis. Maybe just scrape and brush real good.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the skins were sticking well before the new wax, chances are they’ll work fine after some runs on the skis. Skin stick is dependent on, temp, moisture, and contamination; factors subject to change.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If the skins were sticking well before the new wax, chances are they’ll work fine after some runs on the skis. Skin stick is dependent on, temp, moisture, and contamination; factors subject to change.

No one is much into Fibertex polishing anymore now that most have roto brushes - this is one example where it might be able to improve his first uphill trip.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the input.

I gave them a little scraping to get the extra wax off(not much but some came off). Then a brush. And then ran the fiberline to grab the little wax particles off. Hopefully this helps

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Especially when I use a roto brush, it creates so much dust, that it sort of creates a new layer of wax in places. So now I have started to be more careful about finsihing with fiberlene for my touring skis. (Otherwise, for my DH skis I don’t care too much, I’m not racing and 2 runs will have all that stuck on dust worn off anyway).

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
My snarky comment - I only wax my backcountry skis for cold winter or warm summer skiing and hand brush. That's it. I refresh my old skin glue with an iron and parchment paper way more than I ever tune or wax my backcountry skis. Typical backcountry lap: upper elevations are wind affected, mid-elevation mostly powder, and low-elevation is breakable crust or frozen rain crust. Since no one is timing my laps or tours, my ski tune is mostly not-relevant. In summer, red/yellow low F wax is super helpful on volcano skis. Sunscreen is way more important.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes, I have had a very thin layer of glue seem to be left on my skis from my skins, it’s for this reason I wax more diligently now.
The other reason is traverses and low angle exits, where (slighty) faster skis can help keep me moving better.

Sponsor

Staff online