• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Thanks to this forum we found the perfect second ski for my wife (Blizzard Sheeva 10) so I'm back for some help for me.

I am looking to replace my narrower ski in my two ski quiver. I have a pair of 106's for 3-4+ inches so I have that covered. I have a pair of K2 Aftershocks (86 cm) that I'm looking to replace. They served their purpose, but I'm ready for something new.

I'm looking in the 80-90 (maybe up to one of 93's if it makes sense) range and the priorities are medium to soft groomers (I'll buy a carver for bulletproof days), bumps and trees. Good bump performance is a must. I'd ski them as my daily driver when it hasn't snowed, which is most of the time. I'm more of a finesse skier than a charger, but can be either depending on the day and the company. 40'-45 is usually my speed limit these days.

5'11", 180 lbs and Steamboat is my home mountain.

Any help in gathering a demo list and suggestions on lengths would be greatly appreciated!!!

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks to this forum we found the perfect second ski for my wife (Blizzard Sheeva 10) so I'm back for some help for me.

I am looking to replace my narrower ski in my two ski quiver. I have a pair of 106's for 3-4+ inches so I have that covered. I have a pair of K2 Aftershocks (86 cm) that I'm looking to replace. They served their purpose, but I'm ready for something new.

I'm looking in the 80-90 (maybe up to one of 93's if it makes sense) range and the priorities are medium to soft groomers (I'll buy a carver for bulletproof days), bumps and trees. Good bump performance is a must. I'd ski them as my daily driver when it hasn't snowed, which is most of the time. I'm more of a finesse skier than a charger, but can be either depending on the day and the company. 40'-45 is usually my speed limit these days.

Any help in gathering a demo list and suggestions on lengths would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did you see this thread from @tromano yesterday?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
stockli 88
head 83 (2018)
head kore 93
head monster 88
kastle fx85 (non hp)
fischer pro mtn 86
faction ct 1.0
Nordi 93
k2 ikonic 84

i'll think of more

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I did. Thanks!

Cool. Btw, one more ski for your list: Brahma CA, aka Bushwacker, in a 180.

For reference: I'm 6'/190 and just bought the regular Brahma in 180 after demoing for 2 half days. I wanted to try the CA but not available and I didn't have the patience to wait :) The CA might be better for your intended use, i.e. prioritizing bumps/trees over groomers. Even regular Brahma isn't bad in bumps, particularly when skied assertively.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
@Bruuuce FWIW my personal choice for the ski you describe is the Stockli Laser AX in 175.

Funny, but I was thinking about that ski the other day and wondered if it might end up there. It's just hard for me to say that my skiing is worth that price tag...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Funny, but I was thinking about that ski the other day and wondered if it might end up there. It's just hard for me to say that my skiing is worth that price tag...

so let me put it to you this way. I bought that ski with the intention of working on my skills. I was just skiing it at Alta on a day most were skiing 90's underfoot. that doesn't make me a better skier because its a "skinny" ski but I find that ski more precise and exacting and allows me to work on movements. This helps me to be a better skier. ( I still have much to learn) I actually prefer the narrower feel of the ski since I get better feedback to the input. Too often skiers feel they don't warrant a expensive ski but this is just not the truth.

However; there are plenty of other narrow high-performing ski's out there if that's your goal The new Head 83 is a ski that should be on the radar btw---- more to come on that ski.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
so let me put it to you this way. I bought that ski with the intention of working on my skills. I was just skiing it at Alta on a day most were skiing 90's underfoot. that doesn't make me a better skier because its a "skinny" ski but I find that ski more precise and exacting and allows me to work on movements. This helps me to be a better skier. ( I still have much to learn) I actually prefer the narrower feel of the ski since I get better feedback to the input. Too often skiers feel they don't warrant a expensive ski but this is just not the truth.

However; there are plenty of other narrow high-performing ski's out there if that's your goal The new Head 83 is a ski that should be on the radar btw---- more to come on that ski.

Makes sense. I understand the difference in feel as you go narrower.

Regarding the cost...yeah, I know. As my FIL used to say...you'll never be disappointed with quality... It would just be hard to lay out that much cash without a demo. I guess I'll see if I can line one up anywhere. I'll be interested to see if I love it as much as most others do.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
unfortunately, Steamboat bike/ski isn't carrying them any longer. No one would buy them and he ended up dumping them at the end of the season (which is how I got mine last year :) ) Shame but there are several narrow, high performing skis due out next season. For my money, the new Head monster 83 is a winner and you should target that for next season.

Guillaume

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It sounds like the Renoun Z-90 would be a good option.

I was looking for some long term and fresh reviews on the Z-90, not much out there since it was introduced.

Currently I ride a 2014 Volkl RTM84 v-verks. It's good overall but it's terrible on icy hard pack and we get a lot of this in the East, I'm scared of them.

I tried the following this year

Kastle MX84: found it's a strict carver, too limited, sucks in powder
Rossi Experience 88 HD, found it very imprecise, does not track well at all
Nordica Enforcer 93, imprecise as well but better than the e88, too much chatter in the shovles
Stockli Stormrider 88, very supple but not responsive enough, I like making shorter turns, so-so in bumps
Stockli Laser SC (72), too much of a work out
Stockli Laser AX (78), very responsive but more forgiving than the SC, incredible edge grip on hardpack and easy to turn at low speed, it does not require charging all the time like my RTM which is a feature I am looking for.

So I was leaning towards the AX until I found out about Renoun. The Z-77 has a very similar profile than the Stockli AX but the Z-90 sounds more versatile, especially for these powder days. Except that the marketing sounds good but there are very little "real life" users talking about them from what I could see. I listened to Cyrus interview by Blister and he was kinda downplaying himself saying his skis are no silver bullet so if they aren't how about a Head Kore 93 instead or an Icelantic Saber 89 for half the price?

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Head Kore 93 in 180cm. Just a great all mountain ski for out west. Easy and fun in bumps and skied out trees. It is stout enough but its super light. Only ski I have demoed that has this combination dialed.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So I was leaning towards the AX until I found out about Renoun. The Z-77 has a very similar profile than the Stockli AX but the Z-90 sounds more versatile, especially for these powder days. Except that the marketing sounds good but there are very little "real life" users talking about them from what I could see. I listened to Cyrus interview by Blister and he was kinda downplaying himself saying his skis are no silver bullet so if they aren't how about a Head Kore 93 instead or an Icelantic Saber 89 for half the price?

I think the Laser AX is a better ski. Its probably equally versatile except I would vote that the AX is more fun as a carver. Its also quite adapt in powder and def' fun in spring slush. the Z-77 is a very different ski than the Laser AX btw.

Sponsor

Staff online