• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure opinions vary, but is there a standard base structure that is recommend for the Upper Midwest if a pair of sks was getting a new grind?

The family has several skis and they all have different patterns from the factories. We seem to ski just find. We are not racers.

Thanks

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Simple linear or cross structure would be fine I think.

Alex Martin (Ligety's tech) says they pretty much only use one structure on the WC (has a good video when he did a clinic at Rennsport) He believes if a ski runs, it'll run in any condition. Says they use the same structure all year.

smoothrides

Delivering Speed
Skier
Industry Insider
For recreational skis in almost all conditions a fine to medium cut is perfect. Dont even worry about the pattern, just make sure it's not too deep. You should be able to see it, but not really feel it when you drag your finger from edge to edge. The most important thing is that they are ground flat for the majority of the ski and that they get the base bevel right. Good luck

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been two years, time to do it again on some other skis.:) Wanted to do some deeper discussion on this, but after some more research reading, looks like I'll stay with the simple advice from @smoothrides.

Thanks

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I'm confused...and to be honest that's a normal state of mind for me. Since we've had these recent threads about tuning and waxing I've been paying a fair amount of attention to everyone's comments. When I heard someone say that you need to do a base grind to bring out the structure I was assuming that the structure is inherent in the ski base itself.
I went to our local shop the other day and ended up in the back room with the main guy and got an excellent walkthrough on the things I can do at home to maintain my beginning of the year commercial tune up. During that walkthrough he made mention that when he did the base grind he set the structure for a typical SE day. ie: anything from frozen granular to slush.
So do different types of grinding wheels create different structure on the base of the ski's or does the base of the ski dictate what structure you get or is it somehow a combination of the two or are there even more factors that come into play.
I'll be honest, it's really not going to affect how I work on my ski's but enquiring minds want to know

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I'm confused...and to be honest that's a normal state of mind for me. Since we've had these recent threads about tuning and waxing I've been paying a fair amount of attention to everyone's comments. When I heard someone say that you need to do a base grind to bring out the structure I was assuming that the structure is inherent in the ski base itself.
I went to our local shop the other day and ended up in the back room with the main guy and got an excellent walkthrough on the things I can do at home to maintain my beginning of the year commercial tune up. During that walkthrough he made mention that when he did the base grind he set the structure for a typical SE day. ie: anything from frozen granular to slush.
So do different types of grinding wheels create different structure on the base of the ski's or does the base of the ski dictate what structure you get or is it somehow a combination of the two or are there even more factors that come into play.
I'll be honest, it's really not going to affect how I work on my ski's but enquiring minds want to know
The stone sets the structure

The stone is dressed via a diamond stone to create the particular structure desired

More advanced automated machines can create more unique structures on the ski

Carolinacub

Skier
OK I hear what you're saying BUT..... I can actually envision how you could create a linear pattern but for the life of me I don't see how you can create some of the other stuff I hear about. Granted, engineering complicated processes is not in my wheelhouse

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
OK I hear what you're saying BUT..... I can actually envision how you could create a linear pattern but for the life of me I don't see how you can create some of the other stuff I hear about. Granted, engineering complicated processes is not in my wheelhouse
It's sorta like a wood lathe but instead of wood we cut a rock

Stone spins at a constant rpm

But the diamond stone can accelerate and decelerate at speeds much higher than the stone with infinite linear position in relation to the fixed constantly rotating stone

Since we know where the starting position of the stone and diamond bit we can cross the patterns to create and infinite amount of patterns.

This does involve some complex control calculations and accurate position and speed regulation to create the pattern.

Fortunately the manufacturers create the patterns all we do is program up the machine by selecting the proper patern, dress the stone and run the ski through

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's sorta like a wood lathe but instead of wood we cut a rock

Stone spins at a constant rpm

But the diamond stone can accelerate and decelerate at speeds much higher than the stone with infinite linear position in relation to the fixed constantly rotating stone

Since we know where the starting position of the stone and diamond bit we can cross the patterns to create and infinite amount of patterns.

This does involve some complex control calculations and accurate position and speed regulation to create the pattern.

Fortunately the manufacturers create the patterns all we do is program up the machine by selecting the proper patern, dress the stone and run the ski through

It is similar to honing the cylinder lining for an engine. The rotational movement of the honing tool is movement-coordinated with the linear motion so you can get an "X" pattern on the interior surface of the cylinder lining. There is a picture in the link below. The "X" pattern provides the best pattern for the lubricating oil to cover all surfaces of the cylinder as the piston wipes up and down.

https://www.lapmaster-wolters.com/what-is-honing.html

Last edited:

Carolinacub

Skier
OK, I kind of get it now, One of the nice things about living in this day and age is the magic box on our desk that can look up all sort of things. I'll admit this is all still a bit beyond me but the truth is I don't have to know HOW to do just WHEN to do it.

Carolinacub

Skier
So...which structure did you get for NC?
Beats the heck out of me. All I know is that it's supposed to help channel water from under the ski's. basically we ski pretty wet here so what I was told was its the basic standard pattern for the deep south.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
This doesn't matter, but the speed of the stone can be changed/manipulated when cutting the structure into it. That is one of the prime ways of 'fine tuning' structure for changing snow types. Again, no one really needs to know about this, but it is one of the parameters that manipulate structure.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
All my Michigan race skis get a pattern like this

http://starthaus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/grind-singlepass.jpg

ski base race.jpg

Rec skis look like:
ski base rec.jpg

Both work great, the texture on the race is a tiny bit finer too.

Sponsor