• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to build one of @Philpug / @Andy Mink 's ski racks for a friend. The 2x3 is the rail and the 3" side determines the spacing from the wall, right? and the tails/heel pieces hit the wall by design, right? I don't have time to experiment so I'm asking in hopes of making the job quick and easy. Do you have dimensions for the simulated boot lug piece?

Thanks. I'm hoping if this goes well I'll get some of these built for the shop, too. We need more space!
Yes, the 3" side spaces from the wall. I don't have the dimensions for the lug pieces but as long as they're the same shape as the toe of a boot and have a little bevel to them, the length shouldn't make a huge difference. As long as there is enough wood to screw to the 2x3 and stick far enough up to grab the binding you'll be good. And, yes, the heel pieces do rest on the wall. A pad of carpet could be added to protect the wall if necessary.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just finished finishing my new racks. One will go in KT's mud room, the other will go on the outside of my garage where we put our skis to dry in the sun before storing inside. I'll put up installed pictures when they are, uh, installed.

IMG_20190106_160658998.jpg
The screw sticking out the back was my 'handle' for holding the piece so I could coat the area I was holding while painting. Then I hung the piece by the 'handle' to prevent marring the finish.

I left the blocks slightly raised for the finishing process so I could get urethane all over the wood. Plus I need to remove one block to put the wall mounting bolt behind it. I'll take the block off, drill and mount to the wall then put all the pieces back in place. Yes, I numbered them to insure they fit back in the holes they came from. :eek:

I used this to make the toe piece bevel:
IMG_20190105_122241042.jpg

Do you suppose the bevels are correct? :huh:

I earned this dusting off the sanding dust between coats:
IMG_20190105_185846646.jpg

I used pliers to finish pulling it through kind of like pushing the arrow through the rest of the way in Westerns.
It hurt like hell.

Thanks @Philpug and @Andy Mink for the plans.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Splinters are no fun. Got one when working at a lumber yard, in my thigh. I didn't get it all out. Nice infection!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Installed

IMG_20190107_123543353.jpg
IMG_20190107_123744075.jpg

KT is putting a piece of foamboard on the wall behind the bindings to protect the wall. The carpet is a water hog absorbing type so the skis will drip onto it when it is positioned against the wall.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Organizing skis can be a PITA so @Andy Mink and I bounced some ideas off of each other while walking the aisles of Home Depot and came with a wall rack that will hold 14 pair of skis organized and safely...all for about $20.00

1 2x3
1 1x3 (cut in 3" lengths)
5 3/8x5" lag bolts
28 Deck Screws
Wood Glow Glue
Belt Sander

The part that takes the longest was shaping the 3" 1x3's to be shaped like a ski boot toe lug.

View attachment 29386 View attachment 29387 View attachment 29388 View attachment 29389 View attachment 29390

The skis hang safely away from the wall and no risk of falling over. It is also handy for when I am tuning the skis.

Now to finish off the rest of the walls so I can put more skis up.
I have seen this in person......fantastic idea! Looks great in his garage too!

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to ask my daughter @LuliTheYounger to build something like this for me the next time she's home! Was just looking at our sad skis in our garage. Also need some bike storage options.

Bike storage idea that keeps the bikes close to the wall, can still use the bay for parking a car. I used aluminum rail but a 2 X 4 could easily work as well. Also used fine cable and fabricated a chocker block to adjust the length but a bungee cord could also be used.

upload_2019-1-21_19-58-43.png
upload_2019-1-21_19-59-14.png

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I mounted a pallet on the wall to store our skis and poles. Skis currently without bindings a lot in the back.

7B47D634-83D7-4017-8A9A-3896AD7FD791.jpeg
4BBB83F4-3D1B-4B9F-BCA9-53C2992CF75B.jpeg

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
42C187BF-6B85-481E-BAF7-A3F27153FF11.jpeg
9A63488E-DAED-4ABB-BF7F-4E56639E65AC.jpeg
So the brakes hook into the pallet.....I have lots of pallets at the shop. Another good idea!!
Yep. I needed some more space so the above pics are of version 2. Some stud material and ply so I can mount as a pair via toe piece. Doesn’t work for the Dynafits which have Kingpins but I like the graphics on the GTs so I wanted to keep them side by side anyway.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Using 3/4" stock eliminates any sanding. I use triangles but my next ones will probably be square like what you did.

Sponsor

Staff online