• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We spent most of the summer with our windows closed and central air on because of smoke and heat. Today was the first day in a while that I turned the central off, opened windows and let the sierra breeze blow through the house. Feels good to fall asleep with the windows open. :D

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
We spent most of the summer with our windows closed and central air on because of smoke and heat. Today was the first day in a while that I turned the central off, opened windows and let the sierra breeze blow through the house. Feels good to fall asleep with the windows open. :D
One huge reason I love living in the mountains is the cool air temps and lack of need for A/C.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One huge reason I love living in the mountains is the cool air temps and lack of need for A/C.
We don't normally have the central AC on but we did this year more because of the smoke and pollen issues to keep the air filtered in the house.
The smoke was really bad this year. I can't imagine how the firefighters are handling it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

My condo in Breck gets awfully stuffy. I FINALLY thought of asking the landlord for a ceiling fan. I wish I'd thought of that seven years ago! Both windows are on the same side of the condo, so you have to have the door open for cross breeze.

I'll say, I'm pretty sure it was cooler in Breck when we started renting. I remember 80 degree days being a rarity. Maybe @Doug Briggs would disagree, being there more often - I don't know!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My condo in Breck gets awfully stuffy. I FINALLY thought of asking the landlord for a ceiling fan. I wish I'd thought of that seven years ago! Both windows are on the same side of the condo, so you have to have the door open for cross breeze.

You may want to add a room to room fan.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You may want to add a room to room fan.

Eh. We'll see how this does. It's cooling down already these days, and I'm only there through next July.

Screen door an option?

I already leave the door open all day - it's a second floor condo with its own deck, and there's a gate, so two large dogs are on the deck most of the day in the summer. At night, though, I'm not willing to leave the door open, and a screen wouldn't change that.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I'll say, I'm pretty sure it was cooler in Breck when we started renting. I remember 80 degree days being a rarity. Maybe @Doug Briggs would disagree, being there more often - I don't know!

Yes, it has been noticeably warmer lately than 18 years ago.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is this indicative of a change of passes :D

I don't expect that to happen until/unless my local's lesson program goes away or becomes too restrictive. BUT I do have alerts going for condos in the area. I'll be renting or buying SOMEWHERE next summer. If I'm buying, I don't want to be locked into Breck. Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon ... something like that. Maybe if I could ski weekdays, I'd be willing to commit like that.

I was gonna "like," but nothing to "like" about this =/

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m in the middle of harvest season, got one variety of pears, two Asian pears, and a pear/quince hybrid done. Two more pear trees almost ready to harvest. In the middle of one apple tree, with four more apple trees left to ripen over the next month or so. When it starts getting colder, the hardy kiwis will be ready, and right after that it’s time to start checking weather forecasts for possible snow.

Today it was 47 degrees outside when I woke up (at sea level), it’s supposed to mid-70’s all week until some precipitation and cooler temperatures starting on Friday.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only signs I've noticed: it's now dark before 8p.m., and the outdoor pool where I swim is cold in the morning. When it's actually winter, the pool cover goes on at night and the water is nice and warm in the morning.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington has opened in October 8 times in the last 18 years with November filling up the remaining 10 years. Prior to 2000 an October opening was the norm. Overall the trend is shorter seasons.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Snow on the tops of Peaks 9-10 at Breck this a.m. That's Fourth of July Bowl on the left.

168077785.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January