• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski socks? Cushioned? Light weight? Ultra thin? What's your flavor and why?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20160408_085136.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Boots were $45 delivered, new old stock but 5 years old.. I'm seeing socks on REI that cost fifty bucks.,.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My favorite pair are a pair of Spyders that have L/R. Seems silly, but fit SO nicely. No seam at the toe either.

Last sunday, I got up and out early and was trying not to disturb anybody. Got to Northstar and took my shoes off and . . . realized I hadn't changed socks! Fortunately, I had on a good pair of Weatherproof synthetic, med weight. Skied in them for about 3.5 hrs with no issues at all.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I use a different sock in each boot. On my left I use an ultra-thin synthetic sock and on my right I use a thin Smart Wool. I had constant lack of comfort and couldn't figure out which pair was better when the light went on and now I'm perfectly happy and comfortable.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Wow, nobody has mentioned Fits. They have a high merino wool content and come in a variety of thickness but I only wear the ultralight OTC ones. Point 6 is my second choice.

I switched to Fits ultralights a few seasons ago when my last pair of PhD's wore out. I like the Fits better. No signs of them wearing out any time soon. Great quality & fit.

I should mention:

My boots passed the packout threshold this season. So, in a lame but desperate attempt, I tried some thicker cushioned Smartwool socks - thinking that would firm-up the fit. WRONG. Had a miserable day on the slopes: cold cramped feet.

Ultimately, the "fix" for the packout was 1/16" Bontex insole shims (via Tognar) - on the bootboard, below the liner. I've done this before for other boots but (at the time) I tried the thicker socks first because the snow was great & I didn't want to wait for UPS to arrive. Nothing worse than being on the mountain during an epic snow day & having miserable feet.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm posting here to say that the title of this thread should be changed to "All Things Ski Socks." Mods?

I wear Smartwool lightweight, because wool (I tour a lot and work long days in them), just the right amount of padding (minimal) in the right places, and durability. All my boots have intuition liners, so the fit and warmth of those allow for a lightweight sock, which seems better for control.

Pro tip: always buy at least two pairs of socks, in case one disappears. I have like 8 pairs of Smartwool lights, but I ski over 40 hours a week.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to make that suggestion for every thread I post in. "All Things Sunscreen" "All Things Ski Area Restaurants" "All Things Hydration" "All Things Going To The Bathroom"

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
In keeping it local, Point 6 socks. Honestly they were started by an ex smart wool dude who created my favorite sock. They fit so well and are very durable. I wear them every day. Everyday wear, hiking, biking and skiing.

http://point6.com/products/ski-pro-light-otc

View attachment 798

I use either a thin or medium. I have been using Point 6 for several years - best socks ever - fit and durability!! I think Peter Duke is involved.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lorpen socks we sent out to the members are some of my favorites. I really like the consistency in the materials creates a great fit. I will be interesting to see how the members feel about them.

I received a pair from Phil this year. My thinnest pair and my WARMest pair too. They are long, but not uncomfortable. Have worn them in the coldest and warmest days this year and feet are comfortable warm.

I'm trying some socks from smartsocks.net, a friend owns them and gave me some to try. Hiking and skiing. One day on them and comfortable, but were a little cool.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Smartwool compression socks for me. Super-thin, with a hell of a lot of graduated compression to stimulate blood flow (I have bad circulation so it helps a lot with warmth!). I can’t recommend them enough.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Like which socks?

It's generally not recommended to spend more on 1 pair of socks than the boots.

I just tuned two pairs of skis for a U16. $50 per pair for a full tune. Skis had used store stickers of under $50. They came out looking nice, but I thought to myself: more for the tune than the skis. To balance it out, they did have to buy new bindings. ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I ski exclusively in DeFeet 'Bode Miller' socks. I don't know if they call them 'Bode Miller' socks anymore, but he did lend his name to them 10 years or so ago. I have just about every color.

They are moderately thin, padded on the shin, heel and toe, extremely durable and quite colorful. Sometimes I even mix and match. :eek:

20170222_210452_Queen Of The West Road-1.jpg

20140401 - 1939892_10151992693298947_1499528515_n.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online