• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski socks? Cushioned? Light weight? Ultra thin? What's your flavor and why?

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I started in a medium cushion sock. I quickly moved into a extra light cushion and liked that fit. This year I got new boots with a more aggressive fit and now switched to an ultra thin Salomon sock. I liked the extra lights in my old boots but with the new boots I really like the ultra thin. I feel like my foot moves around a lot less in my boot with the ultra thin socks. Any recommendations on similar sock to the ultra thin Salomon? I've yet to ski in frigid temps in my new thin socks so I'm not sure how they will be when it comes to warmth. Are there ultra thin options that will still help keep my feet warm on super cold days?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ultra thin -- anything more makes my boot too tight.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ultra thin for sure. Any padding irritates me - it just seems to bunch up and cause more issues. I have a bunch of old Smartwools that I love, but they don't seem to make them anymore - my fitter told me they're supposed to be liners, not actual socks *shrug*. Now I buy the thinnest Point6 socks I can find. I think this is the one: http://point6.com/collections/socks-for-skiing/products/ski-ultra-light-otc

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thorlo S1TOU - make sure they say 'Ultrathin'! These have seriously good wicking, (good enough to stay dry when winter cycling) The labeled sock sizes are kind of crazy though, make sure you look at the corresponding shoe size. Do *not* just grab a 'medium' or 'large' sock!

Wigwam Ultimax Snow Whisper Pro - these are *not* anywhere nearly as good at wicking as the Thorlos above, but they are a bit more affordable. And the elastane material makes getting into tight boots considerably easier. And they last forever - this model used to be called just plain Wigwam Ultimax about 6-7-8 years ago, and I still have a stash of perfectly good neon green ones from then.

Ever so slightly thicker than the two above:

Smartwool PhD Ski Ultralight - good wicking, not as warm as the Thorlos.

Darn Tough Mens Merino Ultralight - only just got some of these

Last but not least, do you have a really tight fitting boot? As in race fit?

If you do not, and if you fly to skiing a lot, may I recommend the CEP Progressive+ Thermo socks. Yes, they're $50. Yes, they're slightly thicker than the Smartwool and Darn Tough. Yes, you have to size them based on calf size. But you can wear them on the plane and ski in them. And, when you're just starting to ski at altitude, they can help with after-first-day foot swelling. So your boots are easier to get on on the second day.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Euro Ultra-Thin -- all others have been consigned to lodge/walk-about duty

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Oh jeez I dunno. I wear a pair of hiking liner socks, which are sufficiently thin but also were probably due to be replaced about ten years ago. So, which of the above so-called 'ultra thin' socks are the thinnest?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
In keeping it local, Point 6 socks. Honestly they were started by an ex smart wool dude who created my favorite sock. They fit so well and are very durable. I wear them every day. Everyday wear, hiking, biking and skiing.

http://point6.com/products/ski-pro-light-otc

image.jpeg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Thinner hiking socks. Ski socks are all too high and none stretch to fit over my supersized calf muscles.
But my 20 yr old REI ski socks also work. Socks were less high then. :eek:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Lorpen socks we sent out to the members are some of my favorites. I really like the consistency in the materials creates a great fit. I will be interesting to see how the members feel about them.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Wigwam Ultimax Snow Whisper Pro - these are *not* anywhere nearly as good at wicking as the Thorlos above, but they are a bit more affordable. And the elastane material makes getting into tight boots considerably easier. And they last forever - this model used to be called just plain Wigwam Ultimax about 6-7-8 years ago, and I still have a stash of perfectly good neon green ones from then....

Yeah, this is what I've started wearing. I have a plate and pins in my right big toe, and it doesn't bend anymore, so I appreciate any help with sliding into (and out of) a boot. My feet don't sweat in ski boots, ever, so wicking isn't really a thing for me.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the thinnest ski socks I can find, usually sock liners. You want your feet to be one with your boots, not like a fish flopping around in a boat after being slung in after being caught. It's important to use these thin socks when you get your boots fitted or boot liners baked. If you need thick socks to take up room in your boots, it's time for new boots, or a trip to a boot fitter for new liners or a re-bake.

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the input. The vibe on this site is amazing! :daffy:

Now to decide which thin socks to go with...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Now to decide which thin socks to go with...

Write all the recco's down and go feel up some socks at the ski shop?

*subvocalizes*
"Who's a good socky socky? Oooh, you're a fuzzy one my pet. Oh, I bet you get up to all sorts of mischief. Ooh lookit you aren't you slick? Will you promise not to go wandering in the dryer? Pinky promise? Little toe promise?"

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lorpen socks we sent out to the members are some of my favorites. I really like the consistency in the materials creates a great fit. I will be interesting to see how the members feel about them.
Didn't get on board in time for the free socks ... but, I do love Lorpen socks. They fit my feet just right.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In keeping it local, Point 6 socks. Honestly they were started by an ex smart wool dude who created my favorite sock. They fit so well and are very durable. I wear them every day. Everyday wear, hiking, biking and skiing.

http://point6.com/products/ski-pro-light-otc

View attachment 798

I started with these this year thanks to my boot fitter. They're my new favorites. If you think you like PhD Ultralites, try these. Like Ron, mine have spread to street boots and shoes.

Reactions: Ron