• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Ski Santa Fe Season Closer

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi!

I wanted to get a few runs before the end of the season and decided to go up north to Ski Santa Fe since Ski Apache had already closed. @pais alto Hooked me up with a day pass for the very last day of the season (yesterday). I have never gone there before and did not know what to expect although looking at the map and google earth the place had potential! So Saturday night I packed up and headed to Santa Fe. Got there just before midnight, slept a few hours and headed out Sunday morning at 8am. I had no clue whether it had snowed that night on the mountain because in town the roads were a tad wet but there was no snow around. Heading up NM 475 I started seeing some snow and a few miles in everything was coated white! Yess. About 7 miles in the road started to get icy and there was more and more snow around. I have to say the drive up was beautiful and easy going since the road is wider and much less steep than the one up Ski Apache.

Road up to Ski Santa Fe (NM 475)
IMG_5578.JPG

Road up to Ski Santa Fe (NM 475)
IMG_5581.JPG

I pulled up to the parking lot and there were quite a few cars there already but I got a spot close to the base lodge and walked to skier services where they handed me my ticket. Up I went and the snow looked really nice. Fresh groomers down low and powder all over the upper mountain. The terrain looked really fun up there!

GPExportPhoto-0006.JPG

GPExportPhoto-0007.JPG

I went up the Millenium lift and just headed down one of the runs.

GPExportPhoto-2.JPG

The snow was really good, soft and powdery. Impressive for April! Wow.

I kept exploring from lookers left all the way to the right. There was excellent tree skiing all over the upper slopes. Tree spacing was really perfect in most areas!

GPExportPhoto-0008.JPG

Ski Santa Fe has stunning views and really add to the experience.

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

I had an excellent day and really loved the place and the people everyone was just really nice and friendly. Absolutely no aggro powder chasing attitudes on the hill. There was plenty of snow all over the hill and the skiing stayed good well into the afternoon. I really enjoyed the tree skiing and the soft bump skiing, well the groomers were nice too! I am really grateful that @pais alto encouraged me to go and hooked me up with the pass.

I absolutely loved the experience and it was quite a contrast to the one I get skiing at larger resorts in Colorado. This was more laid back and overall I think I enjoyed it more because of that. Ski Santa Fe is not a large ski area but the terrain is excellent! It is a skiing playground for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_5567.JPG
    IMG_5567.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 5

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to meet you! I'm glad you were able to hit SF on a good day!

How was Taos?

Last edited:
TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nice to meet you! I'm glad you were able to hit SF on a good day!

How was Taos?

It was closed. :( Employee Day. I drove up to check it out and looked so so, excellent coverage but looked like the hill was in a refreeze and bumps all over. It had clouded up and started to flurry when I left and the wind started to pick up from the west. Maybe they are getting good snow tonight. I though about staying to ski the next day but decided not to so I drove home, got here before sunset. I am definitely going back next year. Really liked the bed and breakfast I stayed in and the town is small but quirky and cool. I liked it. The Taos Valley is really stunning with the mountains rising up in the background. Next season I will be up in Colorado but am definitely heading down to NM to ski. Loved the overall vibe.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice trip report and great pics. Haven't skied SF in over 15 years, but remember it as a really fun mountain.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Here is a quick edit I just made of the trip!

@pais alto

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Oh, I forgot to post this pic. Heading down south on 54 just north of Carrizozo, NM one gets this stunning view of the Sierra Blanca and the Snowy Sierra Blanca peak that tops out just shy of 12,000 feet. I am at about 5500 feet elev. when I took the photo and the view is awesome for miles and miles. I could clearly see the north side runs of Ski Apache still full of snow! from at least 30 miles away.

17620251_10158429690185371_3536805017230999157_o.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online