• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
Is it possible to take the shuttle up and ski down?

Which trails are suitable, if any. Where would i get more info on this?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hidden Valley is a "ghost" ski area located in RMNP. I haven't skied there (yet...on the bucket list) but I think @kimmyt has been there before.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
RMNP is all backcountry at this point. Strictly human powered. There is a lot of great skiing there -- from mellow areas like Flattop / Banana bowls, and Hidden Valley, to a bunch of gnarly spring-only descents.

Skiing anywhere in RMNP will require touring gear, avalanche gear, and knowledge of how to use it all. There are a number of guiding companies that guide in the area.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Both Open Snow and The Powder Project have info on skiing in RMNP. Just do a search on RMNP or Estes Park when on either site. Just to echo what @jmeb brought up, not being familiar with the area you might want to check out one of the back country groups or guide services. From a personal perspective, Colorado Mountain School works for me. They have some good classes and will get you familiar with the area.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I've bc skied Flattop and Hidden Valley. Hidden Valley is the most straightforward, you park at a giant area with a big warming hut and sledding hill and take the big trail up as far as you want to go. You can see the old ski trails and ski down them or head all the way up across Trail Ridge Road to the area thats above treeline. BC skiing, so you will need your avy gear and knowledge of how to use it. Flattop approach is a bit more difficult and requires navigation through the trees to follow the trail up, where you eventually get to Banana Bowl. The CMS usually runs their avy 1 courses either at Hidden Valley or up around the Flattop/Bear Lake area of RMNP so taking Avy 1 with them will give you a general knowledge of some of those areas.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Good beta from @kimmyt .

Living in the Northern Front Range means you live really close to a lot of great backcountry. But sadly, far from any lift served skiing.

TS
TheHitman

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
Got it. Thanks for the heads up. I was there Sunday and the shuttle was running, so I thought about this. But I guess that was the last day it ran for the year.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Living in the Northern Front Range means you live really close to a lot of great backcountry. But sadly, far from any lift served skiing.

"far" LOL. Dunno about you, but I grew up in Virginia!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
"far" LOL. Dunno about you, but I grew up in Virginia!

Grew up in Ohio, where I was technically closer to lift served than FoCo is. I guess Loveland is ~2hrs on a good day. But it is far relative to its backcountry skiing access.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You were probably less than 2 hours from lift served skiing! I am in Virginia anyway. At least, what we call skiing.

Uh, yeah. Wisp != Breck. Or even Eldora. But you ski what you can get ... but yeah, backcountry was thin on the ground ;-)

Sponsor