• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ski Resorts close to ice climbing?

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
I think this is the right location for this post:

I'm interested in combining future ski trips with ice climbing guided tours. Does anyone know of ski resorts near ice climbing sites in the contiguous USA? Preferably near major airports, or a shorter drive from them?

In Europe?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Stowe. Ice climbing in Smugglers Notch. Burke, closet to Lake Willoughby. We used to have two nstructors that had moved from Ouray to Stowe just so they could spend a season climbing at Willoughby.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Banff or Jasper. I read about at least a half dozen people dying while ice climbing out there every year. Ummm... Hoping you have a better outcome.. :ogbiggrin: seriously, there is ice climbing and you have Marmot mountain in Jasper and Sunshine village, Norquay and Lake Louise near Banff.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some ice climbing near Mammoth:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Europe - La Grave. Near to Grenoble or even Turin. Course the skiing is pretty anti resort too.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote for the Canadian Rockies. There is very good ice climbing in Alberta. Fly into Calgary.

If you are looking for a guide, I have taken courses led by Brent Peters, and he is an amazing teacher. He has also published a local Ice Climbing Guide book, "IceLines – Select Waterfalls of the Canadian Rockies" (http://www.peakstratagem.com/store)

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Wasatch Mountains: Sundance is very close by, Deer Valley and Park City a little further away, and Snowbird, Solitude, Alta, and Brighton a little bit further afield.

TS
LoneStarMtnLover

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
I was originally looking at American locales, but with further research and suggestions here, I see how much is happening in CAN and EU. If anyone has suggestions in EU, please share. Norway has been likened to ice climbers' "Disney World," and Chamonix boasts climbing near incredible skiing. Needing to broaden my horizons with this expanding bucket list...

TS
LoneStarMtnLover

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
For anyone interested, Big Sky skiing and ice climbing in Hyalite Canyon is a beautiful combination. I've never seen so many frozen waterfalls across the valley at Hyalite. Reportedly the most dense concentration of ice climbing in the lower 48.

James

Out There
Instructor
In the Chamonix Valley I’ve heard of someplace called La Cremerie that’s off a dirt road. It’s in Argentière, near the north end of the Valley where Les Grands Montets is.
At the South end I heard there’s places in Les Houches, but no specifics.

You could inquire at Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix. There’s likely some quite spectacular places that would have significant avy risk or glacier crossing.

@Idris might know some resources to find out.
These two images have north on the opposite ends:

IMG_1559.jpeg

IMG_1560.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online