• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski recommendations for a friend

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a friend in the need for new skis this year. 43 years old, 5’7” 165.

Intermediate skier, takes 3-4 trips out west each year in addition to a handful of east coast trips. Skis mostly groomers, can do any intermediate on the mtn, and I have dragged him down a black diamond or 2 but it’s not his favorite. He never takes mogul runs or goes into the trees, back country, or anything on that level. Mostly focused on cruising groomers, with the ability to have the proper ski when the west coast gets some fresh snow on the groomers. He doesn’t ski too fast as I think his skis are holding him back, but I think he would like to go faster with the proper tools.

He has the basic entry level resort rental type skis. He is currently on something too parabolic and soft for his skill level.

I’m thinking something with some level of metal in there, but not too much.

I was thinking the Rossignol TI 88, or Nordica Enforcer 88. Doesn’t mind spending the money for the right ski.

Any other recommendations to look at?

Last edited:

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the Nordica Navigator 85, not quite as aggressive as the 88. Still has a titanium honey comb like overlay. Great ski for the price as well!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a friend in the need for new skis this year. 43 years old, 5’7” 165.

Intermediate skier, takes 3-4 trips out west each year in addition to a handful of east coast trips. Skis mostly groomers, can do any intermediate on the mtn, and I have dragged him down a black diamond or 2 but it’s not his favorite. He never takes mogul runs or goes into the trees, back country, or anything on that level. Mostly focused on cruising groomers, with the ability to have the proper ski when the west coast gets some fresh snow on the groomers. He doesn’t ski too fast as I think his skis are holding him back, but I think he would like to go faster with the proper tools.

He has the basic entry level resort rental type skis. He is currently on something too parabolic and soft for his skill level.

I’m thinking something with some level of metal in there, but not too much.

I was thinking the Rossignol TI 88, or Nordica Enforcer 88. Doesn’t mind spending the money eye for the right ski.

Any other recommendations to look at?

I keep recommending this ski but its that good, versatile and capable while being pretty easy to ski. Liberty Evolv90 in 172cm

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d agree on something slightly less aggressive than the Enforcer and go with a Navigator instead.

Sent you a PM to a great deal on them.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’d agree on something slightly less aggressive than the Enforcer and go with a Navigator instead.

Sent you a PM to a great deal on them.

Is the Rossignol 88 also falling into that “too aggressive” category?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

I haven’t been on the latest E88 but have known people who had issues with tips being catchy in rougher snow causing falls or bruised egos with E84 and E88. The person who bought my Rustler 9s off me had the E84 and complained of this.
Probably fine to a more experienced skier who wants instant response but intermediates might find them not a friendly or confidence inspiring.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Considering we are talking groomers only, both your suggestions are a bit more off piste biased, not just from a width perspective. The rounded tail on the Enforcer is one clue (compare to the Navigator). I think Rossignol also has made the 88 more off piste biased than previous versions. The Navigator 85 is a better choice for your friend than both of these skis, though still a little on the wide side for a lighter weight exclusively frontside skier.

What are his current ski specs? Might be helpful to have a reference point. The Atomic Vantages x80/x83 cti and Salmon xdr 80/84 are all really good groomer skis with good past season deals available. The Atomics are a bit more groomer oriented so probably a better match for his requirements, particularly the x80.

Didn't you recently get new Head Rally's for yourself? Should you like them (and I suspect you will) your suggestions a few months from now could be very different.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The new Experience line is more off-piste oriented than the old with a more versatile tip. I've demoed the new E88 Ti and the old E88 HD, and used to ski an E83. I've never had a problem catching the tips even back in my low intermediate days. I'm more comfortable on the blacks than your friend, so an E88 Ti could be too much. No problem, just get a new E84 Ai.

The Navigator 85 is also nice, just to soft for me when I demoed it.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
1) How good, and how suitable, and how well fitted are his boots? Boots remain the most important equipment. Any of us will ski better on our boots and garage sale skis than vice versa.

2) For mostly groomers and never anything off piste, do look at skis 80 or less mm wide. He doesn't need float and will find the narrower skis easier and quicker edge-to-edge. The Head Supershape i.Rally, the Salomon S/Max 10 and S/Force 11 are examples. Head rates the skiing ability of the skier for the Rally as 3 out of 4 (4/4 would be expert). S/Max 10 is rated at 3/5 and S/Force 11 at 4/5 or S/Force 9 at 3/5. You can use criteria of this sort to figure what might be best for him. For size I don't focus on the centimeter length. I look at the ski's relative placement in that line of skis. I think 2 sizes below the max for the line might work well for him. That would be a 163 for the Rally (maxes at 177, and I like the 170), 165 for the S/Max 10, and the 170 for the S/Force 11 (maxes at 184). You might feel that one of these might not be just right for him, but you can work with these ideas. (I can picture him with a huge grin on Rally 163 or S/Max 10 165 or S/Force 9 163, but that's just my imagination.)

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just got a marketing email from Powder7. They say they have 1000 additional used demo skis to sell. They list a 2018 Head Supershape i.Rally 163 for $519 and a 2019 for $569. I think the only difference from then to 2020 is graphics. The condition is listed as 8.5/10. I've bought their 8.5/10, and I'd list it as 9.8/10. Anyway, it's worth a look. The prices are right. (Do they pick up demos from manufacturers or other shops?)

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Greg it’s funny you say that , I noticed the front end on my 19 E84’s were getting my attention, not hurting my turns but getting my attention, so I showed them to my guy at Mammoth and he said something gave them back to me ten minutes later and I don’t notice anything anymore.
I like to ski the middle/back of my skis , maybe they don’t like that.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK, my friend has narrowed it down to the Navigator 85 but would like to demo some before choosing

We have a trip in Telluride in mid-Jan. What is a good shop there that has a good selection of demo's and allows the rental price to be applied to the purchase?

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
I took my Navigator 85s out on their maiden runs a couple days ago and could not be more happy with choosing them. I found them very forgiving , and rock solid when I started to rip through the early season slush and crud. I am an advanced intermediate 50 years old east coast skier, and they where an instant confidence builder. I have no doubt these skis where a perfect choice for me.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Head V8 or V10 are really nice front side oriented skis with enough band width to handle some fresh. Not as demanding as the Rally or Titans.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January